RE: [HOn3] Tips for using code 55 rail joiners?

  • Jeffrey J Brundt
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2008
      That is normal. I use a no. 11 xacto to open the joiner a bit. I've also found a quik clamp w/rubber padded jaws works well for gripping a rail section [one on each side] and gives something to use when pushing the sections together.

      jeff

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3, 2008
        Thanks for the all the ideas, everyone. I'll probably get some Atlas
        joiners when I get a chance - that sounds like the best option.
        Although I do have a pile of the ME joiners already...

        While waiting for these messages, I went back and tried again - filed
        every end into an angle on the botton flange and the center section
        into a V, then put a drop of Labelle 108 oil on each joiner. Taken
        together, these made things go easier.

        I made a tool, too - like you've described, but tried put the joiner
        all the way onto the tool (to open the entire joiner) but then (of
        course!) had a terrible time getting it back off again.

        So thanks!! I've got a lot of sidings and yard tracks to lay w/ c55,
        so I suppose I'll get better at this (or go nuts!). Thanks again!