Barge Cement

  • Curt
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 25, 2008
      Hi,
      Anyone know where I can find Barge Cement in the Denver area? I need
      it for assembly of a CVT curvable switch kit. I've got some dual gauge
      trackage where I want to try to add a NG rail for the main side of the
      CVT turnout. I've given up on my handlaid curved dual guage turnout.
      It initially worked fine but didn't survive re-working the layout in
      the recent house move! Thx. Curt
    • Kenneth Martin
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 25, 2008
        I would try an ACE Hardware store.

        Ken Martin

        Curt wrote:

        >Hi,
        >Anyone know where I can find Barge Cement in the Denver area?

      • Jim & Pat McQueeny
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 25, 2008
          Curt
          I used Pliobond to glue the rails to a scratchbuilt trestle that I built. I bought the Pliobond at a Ace hardeware store here in northern Illinois. I also found Barge there.
          If you go into the HOn3 files section and open my "Jim McQueeny" file you can see how I used the glue in my "Scrathbuilt Trestle" folder.
          Jim McQueeny
          Rockford, IL.

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 25, 2008
            Thanks to you all for your helpful advice. Big Orange didn't have
            Barge, but our small, old ACE Hardware in Conifer, CO does! I've used
            Pliobond for rail over wood trestle ties as you did,Jim....beautiful
            job on your trestle, BTW. I wanted to try Barge for rail on the
            plastic CVT plastic tie strip...melting Pliobond on plastic doesn't
            seem a good idea! Curt
          • Ed McCamey
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 25, 2008
              --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, "Curt" <hamtrains1@...> wrote:
              > . . . <sniped> . . .
              > I wanted to try Barge for rail on the
              > plastic CVT plastic tie strip...melting Pliobond on plastic doesn't
              > seem a good idea! Curt

              Yes, therein is the principle difference. Pliobond is primarily
              thermal activated and Barge is primarily chemical activated. Barge
              has a stronger bond, less flexible on cure than Pliobond - but still
              flexible. The ACE Hardware master supplier list has Barge - any ACE
              store can at least order it.

              By the way, Barge can be activated just as well (some say even better)
              with Paint Thinner vs the MEK. Most paint thinners are a mixture of
              MEK and Acetone. Still use adequate ventilation - but you are only
              applying a very thin wick flow with a small model paint brush.

              -ed mccamey-
              COSLAR RR
            • rgs_buxton
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 25, 2008
                Curt,

                Go to "The Leather Warehouse", it's next to the east bound lane of I-
                70, two blocks east of the Safeway Bakery right next to the frontage
                road. You will need a business license for any quantity over the
                tube size. This goes for the thinner as well. Something about
                industrial safety limits on large quantities or some sort of
                liability jive.

                You might also try "Jerry's Leather" which is on the west side of
                South Broadway, one block north of Belveiw. I would call and ask
                them first to see if they even have it.

                You can also do a web search and buy larger quantities through the
                internet, but because it is a Class 3, highly volatile, flammable
                liquid, shippers are only allowed to ship it by ground.

                Dale Buxton

                --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, "Curt" <hamtrains1@...> wrote:

                > Hi,
                > Anyone know where I can find Barge Cement in the Denver area?

                > Thx. Curt
              • dlsprite2003
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 25, 2008
                  --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, "Curt" <hamtrains1@...> wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  > Anyone know where I can find Barge Cement in the Denver area? I need
                  > it for assembly of a CVT curvable switch kit. I've got some dual gauge
                  > trackage where I want to try to add a NG rail for the main side of the
                  > CVT turnout. I've given up on my handlaid curved dual guage turnout.
                  > It initially worked fine but didn't survive re-working the layout in
                  > the recent house move! Thx. Curt

                  Next time you visit Caboose Hobbies, motor on down (south) Broadway a
                  couple blocks and before you get to I-25, on same side of street is a
                  Hardware store. I'm pretty sure it's Ace. They had Barge a few months
                  ago in tubes, in amongst all the many and various adhesives they
                  stock. Also, Caboose normally has Pliobond in stock.
                  Dave Spritke
                • pwussow
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 17, 2013
                    In the Gazette authors suggest Barge Cement for coupler pockets to wood and wood to plastic; however I find that the Barge Cement now sold at stores is a different formula and is not as good and prone to fail.

                    What do you suggest in place of Barge Cement (blue tube)?

                    Paul Wussow
                    www.tlmrc.org
                  • Jeffrey J. Brundt
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 18, 2013
                      What sort of properties are you looking for in the adhesive?

                      Flexibility after curing?
                      Ability to bond dissimilar materials?
                      Working time before cure?
                      Fast or slow curing time
                      compatibility with materials to be bonded?
                      strength of the bond?
                      any or all of the above?

                      Have you considered CA, Shoe Goo, Pliobond, Gorilla Glue, epoxy, R/C56? All are excellent adhesives and they can be applied with precision if needed and are compatible with all types of materials. I've used all of these in every facet of model building, from model railroading to RC to plastic models.

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 18, 2013
                        Paul,

                        I use the Barge Cement in the yellow and red tube and I have had no problems.

                        Bruce Dunlevy

                      • vulturenest1
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 18, 2013

                        • Curt
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 18, 2013
                            I'm almost out of Barge. I love it but it  seems the stores in my area no longer carry it. It's available on line but only in large containers. Curt

                            ________________________________
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 18, 2013
                              Switch hobbies and try this:
                              http://www.lmii.com/products/finishing/adhesives/binding-adhesives

                              It's the one in the bottle (FCA), not the tube.

                              Designed for wood to plastic and other combos.

                              Works great for me.

                              BTW, this site has a lot of other potentially useful tools and products.

                              Larry
                            • pwussow
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 18, 2013
                                I am following Jim Vail's instructions in the HOn3 annual building a Pickle Tub Car. He calls for barge Cement for coupler pockets to the frame among other items. I have used PlioBond in building track with my Fast Tracks fixtures to get my AP Civil.
                                I did find a DAP product that seems to have the old formula of the yellow tube but today only Blue tubes are available in IL.
                                Paul
                              • Alan Kilby
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 18, 2013
                                  I get mine from ACE hardware,if there's one close to you they should be able to order it for you if its not in stock,another source is a cobbler/shoe repairs.
                                    Alan

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jun 21, 2013
                                    The blue tubes of Barge Cament are all that we can get here in
                                    California now. But it works just as well as the yellow tube formula -
                                    just a little more 'stringy'. I used the blue tube Barge cement when I
                                    built my pickle car. I wasn't meaning to say that using cement to
                                    mount couplers was the absolute way to do it - just the way I did it.
                                    Mounting couplers with screws would always be more desirable if you can
                                    figure how to do it without the screws showing.

                                    Jim Vail