Re: current projects

  • Szczowicz@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 1, 1999
      Steve,
      In retrospect maybe I should have done as you suggested. I was on a very
      limited time scale having to catch a plane back home and in the end picked up
      one kit which I knew I wanted then another on pure impusle buy. The second
      was the real disappointment. I can put up with minimal instructions but the
      plan is awful with virtually no detail. The picture on the box looked pretty
      enough though to tempt me. Up to that point I had been quite happy butbhering
      Grandt line kits which are a totaly different proposition.
      Please also remember that visiting a hobby shop with a decent stock for me is
      unusual. Most of my 'stuff' comes mail order across the pound - sometimes we
      get stung for duty, local sales tax and handling which can account for a
      further 25% increase on the price - this is NOT a misprint 25%. Sending
      something back to the States is a total nightmare.
      But in the end you're right - caveat emptor - let the buyer beware.
      Regards
      Mark
    • Larry Smith
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 1, 1999
        I too don't understand the problem you're having with kits. The only thing I can
        figure out is that you're still in the accumulation phase of the hobby, meaning I
        think I'll get it because I might need it later. I've got some of those still on
        the shelf, myself, so you're not alone. I agree with Jim. Just be more
        selective and choose what you will need for your layout or concept and forget the
        rest.

        Larry Smith, MMR

      • Szczowicz@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 2, 1999
          wooddale@... writes:

          << The only thing I can
          figure out is that you're still in the accumulation phase of the hobby,
          meaning I
          think I'll get it because I might need it later. >>
          Larry,
          Guilty as charged, but still building as often as time allows. I think being
          selective to the whole caboodle. One of the kit I bought Campbell scale
          Models Chama coaling tower, is entirely satifactory, Perhaps a bit pricy, but
          well presented with excellent plans. Perhaps I'll major with this kit
          supplier.
          I've accumulated because of the rarety of the items over here in England. But
          after the initial shopping frenzy I've calmed down to the extent of only
          buying what I can build between visits to the US (About a year). The detail
          parts etc I buy mail order.
          Regards
          Mark
        • Larry Smith
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 2, 1999
            Mark

            This is interesting because currently I'm working on a Bucyrus-Erie shovel kit
            for review and it's made by Langley. Some of the best white metal kits I've ever
            seen are made in Great Britain. This thing goes together better then some
            plastic kits. By the way it's also a product review for Model Railroad News.

            One thing I've found with Campbell kits is that the wood has a tendency to become
            very brittle and fracture when you cut it. Never had wood do this on me before.
            Just becareful with it. This seems only to happen on those corner posts they
            make. I'm building the Size Sash and Door, really a planning mill and have run
            into it often. May be an old kit, I sure it is, but I've got older kits and the
            wood doesn't do it.

            Drop me a line off list and we'll commiserate over different kit problems, lol

            Larry

          • AKACOOT@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 2, 1999
              In a message dated 10/2/1999 8:09:11 AM Central Daylight Time,
              wooddale@... writes:

              << One thing I've found with Campbell kits is that the wood has a tendency to
              become
              very brittle and fracture when you cut it. >>

              Campbell uses Pine instead of Basswood.