Re: [HOn3] Re: Weathered Box Cars

    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 2, 2008
      Yeah, exactly, but it doesn't have that nifty little spout ... 8^)
      BTW, most Home Depots & Lowe's I've seen have cans of naphtha in the paint section, along woth MEK, acetone, turpentine, etc.
      Mike Conder
      Rick Blanchard wrote:
      > Lighter fluid is a lot cheaper if you buy it in a can simply labeled "naptha".

    • Craig
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 6, 2011
        Kicking this one to the top.

        I have been told as well that a good idea when dullcoating is to throw a couple of drops of white paint in with the dullcoat for a slight and very light weathering as well.

        Going to give this a try soon.

        Thanks for posting this Steve!!

        Craig

        --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, Steven Harris <slh@...> wrote:

        > A while back Craig Symington suggested that I post a photo of some
        > Blackstone box cars weathered with pastel chalk pencils as I had
        > discussed in my weathering clinic. So, Craig, thanks for asking, I
        > have finally gotten around to it. I have posted them in the photos
        > section in the Steve Harris' Photos file.
        > These took about a half hour each to weather, using Brenzell pastel
        > pencils, then hit with a very light over-spray (meaning hold the
        > airbrush further away from the subject than usual) of Dullcoat.
        >
        > Best regards,
        >
        > Steve Harris

      • John Dowling
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 7, 2011
          This post took me back to the original 2008 thread, which was before my time. Beautiful work, Steve!

          Now, in the ensuing three and a half years, has anyone determined a satisfactory substitute for Bruynzeel pencils? And Steve, did you ever post your clinic anywhere?

          Forgive me if this is old news to many of you. This technique looks to damn good to ignore.

          John