Re: [HOn3] Items of interest on ebay - Buyer Beware

  • eabracher@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , May 2, 2008
      I have been following Rio Grande Models kits on E Bay. There is one
      gentleman who buys a lot of them sometimes at 2 to 3 times the price of a current
      kit. I used to e mail him to let him know he can still buy them at RGM prices
      but E Bay has stopped this practice. You can't e mail the buyer any more.

      eric

      Message 2 of 15 , May 2, 2008
        Bill Fornshell wrote:

        > Echo Mountain: I just followed this link Echo
        > Mountain:
        >
        > http://www.echomtn.com/products.htm <http://www.echomtn.com/products.htm>
        >
        > I called them to confirm that they are still selling
        > the electrical contact kit, yes they are. They don't
        > do credit cards so I will get a money order and mail
        > them an order today or tomorrow.

        A while back, someone was asking about the original K-27 slope back
        tender. I find that Echo Mountain has sets of etchings for this in HO,
        S & O. They do a Swane Lumber #6 tender and two T-12 tenders in O, and
        could probably be persuaded to do them in HO. Also in HO, two wood C-16
        cabs, the SG cab for K-27 #455, MDC Shay conversions, plus a bunch of
        general interest stuff.

        John Stutz
      • eabracher@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , May 2, 2008
          The owner is Jim Oliver. He has been known to be slow. Buyer beware.

          Nice guy although.

        • Darryl Huffman
          Message 4 of 15 , May 2, 2008
            Eric,

            You can still easily contact a buyer on EBay.

            Just go to any completed listing the buyer has won, click on the number next to his user ID. (That number shows the number of transactions he has completed.)

            This brings up all his ratings. On the right hand side is a link labeled: Contact Member.

            Click on that link and an email form appears that allows you to email the member.

            Darryl Huffman
            12020 Old Seward Highway
            Anchorage, AK 99515
            darrylhuffman@...

            A link to my layout photos:

            http://www.darrylhuffman.50megs.com/index_1.html
            Message 5 of 15 , May 2, 2008
              Seems like a little misplaced criticism. The price for which something sells
              is NOT eBay's prerogative or under their control - it reflects the acumen,
              experience level and/or ignorance of the buyer. [Look at some of the prices
              on brass at Caboose!]

              Many people, especially the older group of which the hobby is largely
              comprised (average published age = 59), are not computer/internet
              sophisticated (and many don't want to be), and can't/won't do the research
              of which you are capable. Many have a small scope hobby world - regional
              LHS,eg. - and common items may seem rare to them.

              Killing the messenger will not alter the message, and certainly won't
              improve communications...Tom

              Message 6 of 15 , May 2, 2008
                Thanks Dave.....

                I have this half baked idea of leaving Milwaukee, one midnight and get
                there after breakfast.......

                Best to ya,
                Mike Bauers
                Milwaukee, Wi

                On May 2, 2008, at 8:49 AM, captaindavekrembs wrote:

                > Rhinelander Rail Road & Logging Museum is open Memorial Day to Labor
                > Day 10 AM to 5 PM daily
                > Dave
                > - In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, Mike Bauers <mwbauers55@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> You've got great ideas there........ I love the TT 'drive'.
                >>
                >> Say.......
                >>
                >> When will the Rhinelander Pioneer Park museum open for the
                > season ??
                >> I need to return there.
                >>
                >> Best to ya'
                >> Mike Bauers
                >> Milwaukee Wi, USA
              • captaindavekrembs
                Message 7 of 15 , May 2, 2008
                  Tell them your a Narrow Gauger and friend of Captain Dave Krembs and
                  they better let you into the layout (20'x42'+ back room staging area)!
                  That should get any body from the group past the summer help.

                • Kjb80401@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 2, 2008
                    Bill,

                    A really good plan !

                    Keevan

                    In a message dated 5/2/2008 6:29:51 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
                    bfornshell@... writes:

                    If I develop a real
                    bad emotional attachment for something on ebay and the
                    price is beyond my upper limit I go for a long walk
                    while the time on that item is running out.

                    favorites at AOL Food.