Re: Turntables

  • Phil Hackman
    Message 1 of 15 , May 1, 2008
      For anyone interested, I found the article I was refering to last
      night. It was actually Model Railroader February 2002. The author
      had this TT on a fairly high section of the railroad, so view wasn't
      down into the pit. He also placed a small tool shed structure over
      the motor and put all of that between the viewer and the TT to
      further obscure the view.

      Take a look,
      Phil

      --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Hackman" <phackman@...> wrote:

      > I saw an idea in MRC around 2001 where a guy placed two sections
      of
      > ME girder on the deck of an Atlas turntable for his TT bridge. He
      > used ME bridge track on top of that. This placed the track 1/2"
      > above the Atlas deck. He painted the deck gray or tan so it would
      > disapear in the scenery, then mounted the assembly right under his
      > 1/2" homasote. When the turntable moved, the ground under it also
      > moved, but then, you don't really see it that much anyway. It
      > allows you to have a turntable pit, and all the usual relief, but
      > without all the trouble and expense. One could even put down
      ground
      > cover, pit rails, and all that, have pit walls that are
      stationery,
      > but the rails and ground move with the turntable. The only time
      you
      > notice it is when actually turning a locomotive. Even then it
      > wouldn't be that obvious.
      >
      > Simple and effective.
      > Phil Hackman

    • bcpryor
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 19, 2014
        While looking for an article on turntables I recently read on Google Books, I found these articles with a lot to say about turntable design.

        http://books.google.com/books?id=ipjpAAAAMAAJ&pg=RA1-PA22#v=onepage&q&f=false

        http://books.google.com/books?id=pSwxAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA455#v=onepage&q&f=false

        http://books.google.com/books?id=F1o5AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA117#v=onepage&q&f=false

        Still haven't found what I was looking for, which was about turning effort and time for different bearing arrangements.

        Bruce Pryor
      • kjb80401

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 19, 2014
            All

            I have just posted 13 pages of turntable drawings, in the HOn3 photo album
            Turntables-2, covering about 10 designs from 1890-1901. Note that several of
            these do not even have end wheels. An examination of the pivot details will go
            a long ways toward explaining Keevan's report, of a locomotive turning in the
            wind at CRM.