Re: [HOn3] re: email addresses in postings

    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 2, 2008
      Nobody would dare!

      Also, notice that yahoo puts a space in all web addresses & email addresses? So far, I think that's enough to keep most spammers from phishing these.

      Mike Conder

      Darryl Huffman wrote:

      > I post a lot of emails in the groups and have done so for many years, always including my email address in the postings. How come I am not bothered by millions of pieces of SPAM? <

    • Rich Strebendt
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 3, 2008
        --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, Darryl Huffman <darrylhuffman@...> wrote:

        > I post a lot of emails in the groups and have done so for many
        years, always including my email address in the postings.

        > How come I am not bothered by millions of pieces of SPAM?

        Notice how Yahoo has been protecting you all these years:

        > Darryl Huffman
        > 12020 Old Seward Highway
        > Anchorage, AK 99515
        > darrylhuffman@...
        . ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

        This is the modification of the address that I spoke of in an earlier
        posting. If, in my browser, I have the mouse hover over that link,
        the following appears in the bar at the bottom of the browser window
        (posted twice for both browser and mail reader conventions):

        ccY4qJHLdmNHVz2KVNfP3gtQGEypezYgXezL_2kQCumhotqKMsY3nM41K-RZ\
        jPwpcjqrgtKS8MA6HAEDcyI

        ccY4qJHLdmNHVz2KVNfP3gtQGEypezYgXezL_2kQCumhotqKMsY3nM41K-RZ
        jPwpcjqrgtKS8MA6HAEDcyI>

        Note that your email address is nowhere to be seen.

        Rich Strebendt
      • Kjb80401@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 3, 2008
          Rich,

          Interesting that the second listing is missing two backslashes. More
          interesting, they both worked. And,,,,, Darryl's full address does not show.

          Keevan

          In a message dated 4/3/2008 9:20:49 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
          restrebendt@... writes:

          ccY4qJHLdmNHVz2KVNfP3gtQGEypezYgXezL_2kQCumhotqKMsY3nM41K-RZ\
          jPwpcjqrgtKS8MA6HAEDcyI

          ccY4qJHLdmNHVz2KVNfP3gtQGEypezYgXezL_2kQCumhotqKMsY3nM41K-RZ
          jPwpcjqrgtKS8MA6HAEDcyI>

        • Kenneth Martin
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 3, 2008
            Rich,
            I don't know what's happening but I would suspect your browser not Yahoo
            as Darryl's email address came through to me just fine.

            Ken Martin

          • Kjb80401@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 3, 2008
              Ken, Rich, etc.,

              I utilize AOL with the Explorer browser as my ISP. In the header of emails
              I receive from Yahoo groups is the complete address of the original poster as
              well as the complete email address of the group it came from.

              Keevan

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 3, 2008
                --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, Kjb80401@... wrote:

                > Rich,
                >
                > Interesting that the second listing is missing two backslashes.
                > More
                > interesting, they both worked.

                The first format, with lines continued by backslashes, seems to work
                well if you read the postings using a browser or an email program that
                recognizes that continuation convention. The second seems to work
                well in email programs but does not work well in browsers. Of course,
                neither will work from the inclusion below because of the ">"
                characters used to mark email inserted/quoted lines. Such is life in
                the Big Computer.

                > In a message dated 4/3/2008 9:20:49 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
                > restrebendt@... writes:

                > ccY4qJHLdmNHVz2KVNfP3gtQGEypezYgXezL_2kQCumhotqKMsY3nM41K-RZ\
                > jPwpcjqrgtKS8MA6HAEDcyI

                > ccY4qJHLdmNHVz2KVNfP3gtQGEypezYgXezL_2kQCumhotqKMsY3nM41K-RZ
                > jPwpcjqrgtKS8MA6HAEDcyI>

                Rich Strebendt
              • Rich Strebendt
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 3, 2008
                  --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Martin <kmartin537@...> wrote:

                  > Rich,
                  > I don't know what's happening but I would suspect your browser not
                  > Yahoo
                  > as Darryl's email address came through to me just fine.

                  Since I read Yahoo groups using the on-line browser interface and do
                  not receive it as email, it is Yahoo fixing the addresses so that
                  spambots cannot bring a web page up and harvest the email addresses
                  from that page. It sounds like the email addresses are left intact in
                  the email copies of the messages.

                  Of course, the header of each email message also contains the sender's
                  email address, as the "Post Message" window in the on-line Yahoo
                  interface advises: "If you reply to the message author or the group
                  owner, your email address will be displayed in the message you send."

                  Rich Strebendt