Re: [HOn3] re: email addresses in postings

  • Peter McGourty
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 2 4:48 PM
      Darryl - you need to go to Honolulu the first weekend in May!

      You can get all of the SPAM you want.

      It is SPAM JAM Weekend.

      Pete
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 2 5:24 PM
        Nobody would dare!

        Also, notice that yahoo puts a space in all web addresses & email addresses? So far, I think that's enough to keep most spammers from phishing these.

        Mike Conder

        Darryl Huffman wrote:

        > I post a lot of emails in the groups and have done so for many years, always including my email address in the postings. How come I am not bothered by millions of pieces of SPAM? <

      • Rich Strebendt
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 3 8:19 AM
          --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, Darryl Huffman <darrylhuffman@...> wrote:

          > I post a lot of emails in the groups and have done so for many
          years, always including my email address in the postings.

          > How come I am not bothered by millions of pieces of SPAM?

          Notice how Yahoo has been protecting you all these years:

          > Darryl Huffman
          > 12020 Old Seward Highway
          > Anchorage, AK 99515
          > darrylhuffman@...
          . ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

          This is the modification of the address that I spoke of in an earlier
          posting. If, in my browser, I have the mouse hover over that link,
          the following appears in the bar at the bottom of the browser window
          (posted twice for both browser and mail reader conventions):

          ccY4qJHLdmNHVz2KVNfP3gtQGEypezYgXezL_2kQCumhotqKMsY3nM41K-RZ\
          jPwpcjqrgtKS8MA6HAEDcyI

          ccY4qJHLdmNHVz2KVNfP3gtQGEypezYgXezL_2kQCumhotqKMsY3nM41K-RZ
          jPwpcjqrgtKS8MA6HAEDcyI>

          Note that your email address is nowhere to be seen.

          Rich Strebendt
        • Kjb80401@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 3 8:25 AM
            Rich,

            Interesting that the second listing is missing two backslashes. More
            interesting, they both worked. And,,,,, Darryl's full address does not show.

            Keevan

            In a message dated 4/3/2008 9:20:49 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
            restrebendt@... writes:

            ccY4qJHLdmNHVz2KVNfP3gtQGEypezYgXezL_2kQCumhotqKMsY3nM41K-RZ\
            jPwpcjqrgtKS8MA6HAEDcyI

            ccY4qJHLdmNHVz2KVNfP3gtQGEypezYgXezL_2kQCumhotqKMsY3nM41K-RZ
            jPwpcjqrgtKS8MA6HAEDcyI>

          • Kenneth Martin
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 3 8:50 AM
              Rich,
              I don't know what's happening but I would suspect your browser not Yahoo
              as Darryl's email address came through to me just fine.

              Ken Martin

            • Kjb80401@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 3 8:56 AM
                Ken, Rich, etc.,

                I utilize AOL with the Explorer browser as my ISP. In the header of emails
                I receive from Yahoo groups is the complete address of the original poster as
                well as the complete email address of the group it came from.

                Keevan

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 3 11:27 AM
                  --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, Kjb80401@... wrote:

                  > Rich,
                  >
                  > Interesting that the second listing is missing two backslashes.
                  > More
                  > interesting, they both worked.

                  The first format, with lines continued by backslashes, seems to work
                  well if you read the postings using a browser or an email program that
                  recognizes that continuation convention. The second seems to work
                  well in email programs but does not work well in browsers. Of course,
                  neither will work from the inclusion below because of the ">"
                  characters used to mark email inserted/quoted lines. Such is life in
                  the Big Computer.

                  > In a message dated 4/3/2008 9:20:49 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
                  > restrebendt@... writes:

                  > ccY4qJHLdmNHVz2KVNfP3gtQGEypezYgXezL_2kQCumhotqKMsY3nM41K-RZ\
                  > jPwpcjqrgtKS8MA6HAEDcyI

                  > ccY4qJHLdmNHVz2KVNfP3gtQGEypezYgXezL_2kQCumhotqKMsY3nM41K-RZ
                  > jPwpcjqrgtKS8MA6HAEDcyI>

                  Rich Strebendt
                • Rich Strebendt
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 3 11:33 AM
                    --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Martin <kmartin537@...> wrote:

                    > Rich,
                    > I don't know what's happening but I would suspect your browser not
                    > Yahoo
                    > as Darryl's email address came through to me just fine.

                    Since I read Yahoo groups using the on-line browser interface and do
                    not receive it as email, it is Yahoo fixing the addresses so that
                    spambots cannot bring a web page up and harvest the email addresses
                    from that page. It sounds like the email addresses are left intact in
                    the email copies of the messages.

                    Of course, the header of each email message also contains the sender's
                    email address, as the "Post Message" window in the on-line Yahoo
                    interface advises: "If you reply to the message author or the group
                    owner, your email address will be displayed in the message you send."

                    Rich Strebendt