Shoe Dye

  • sanjuangeol1947
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 3 5:51 PM
      FOr those of you who use shoe dye could you give us some product names
      and colors?

      Thanks in advance.

      Ted
      sanjuangeol1947
    • Darryl Huffman
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 3 6:46 PM
        Ted,

        I use only Lincoln Brand leather dyes which are available in both shoe repair shops and leather shops.

        I use black and brown.

        Their black is really black and not a dark blue.

        Their brown stains wood to look like cedar.

        Mixed together, the two colors make a stain that looks just like old wood in the interior walls of a structure with open beams and studs in it.

        Darryl Huffman
        Anchorage, Alaska

        Ready to paint your backrop?
        http://www.darrylhuffman.50megs.com/photo5.html

      • railwayeng
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 3 7:59 PM
          --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, Darryl Huffman <darrylhuffman@...> wrote:

          > Ted,
          >
          > I use only Lincoln Brand leather dyes which are available in both
          shoe repair shops and leather shops.

          In a pinch, I've used Kiwi leather dies but Darryl is right that
          the Lincoln Brand is a better black.

          I have also used black acrylic paints extremely diluted with
          isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) But again the Lincoln is best.
          -Steve Hatch
        • Pete Nelson
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 3 8:15 PM
            What about Fiebing's black leather dye? Does that have any blueish tint? Or is that a black black?

            Pete Nelson

          • josef-wagner
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 3 10:34 PM
              good morning from vienna
              a question to the application: can you glue the stained wood parts later on
              with white glue without
              solving up the stain again?
              josef wagner/vienna

              _____

              I use only Lincoln Brand leather dyes which are available in both shoe
              repair shops and leather shops.

              I use black and brown.

              Their black is really black and not a dark blue.

              Their brown stains wood to look like cedar.

              Mixed together, the two colors make a stain that looks just like old wood in
              the interior walls of a structure with open beams and studs in it.

              Darryl Huffman
              Anchorage, Alaska

              Ready to paint your backrop?
              http://www.darrylhu <http://www.darrylhuffman.50megs.com/photo5.html>
              ffman.50megs.com/photo5.html

            • Glenn476
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 3 11:34 PM
                with the Lincoln dye, yes. gj
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 4 4:49 AM
                    In a message dated 2/3/2008 11:33:01 PM Mountain Standard Time,
                    josef-wagner@... writes:

                    a question to the application: can you glue the stained wood parts later on
                    with white glue without solving up the stain again?

                    Josef,

                    Yes, no problem.

                    Keevan

                    48)

                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 4 6:15 AM
                        Fiebing's has an USMC black that is a true black, no bluish tint at all. In fact, tt's right here on the table as I type this.

                        Mike Conder

                      • HOn3MRR@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 4 7:12 AM
                          In a message dated 2/3/2008 8:46:56 P.M. Central Standard Time,
                          darrylhuffman@... writes:

                          Lincoln Brand leather dyes which are available in both shoe repair shops and
                          leather shops.

                          Lincoln and several other brands and colors can also be found at the local
                          Tandys/Leather Factory!

                          W G Bill Martin
                          Live Oak, Texas
                          HOn3 Presque Isle Northern RR

                          48)

                        • lwhite7587@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 4 8:38 AM
                            Darryl

                            Could you give some mix combinations for various degrees of stain
                            applications such as mixes for ties like aged or new that you use.

                            Larry

                            In a message dated 2/3/2008 11:33:09 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
                            josef-wagner@... writes:

                            good morning from vienna
                            a question to the application: can you glue the stained wood parts later on
                            with white glue without
                            solving up the stain again?
                            josef wagner/vienna

                            _____

                            I use only Lincoln Brand leather dyes which are available in both shoe
                            repair shops and leather shops.

                            I use black and brown.

                            Their black is really black and not a dark blue.

                            Their brown stains wood to look like cedar.

                            Mixed together, the two colors make a stain that looks just like old wood in
                            the interior walls of a structure with open beams and studs in it.

                            Darryl Huffman
                            Anchorage, Alaska

                            Ready to paint your backrop?
                            _http://www.darrylhu_ (http://www.darrylhu/)
                            <_http://www.darrylhuhttp://www.dahttp://www.http_ (http://www.darrylhuffman.50megs.com/photo5.html) >
                            ffman.50megs.ffman.50megffma

                            48)

                          • railwayeng
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 4 9:21 AM
                              > Could you give some mix combinations for various degrees of stain
                              > applications such as mixes for ties like aged or new that you use.

                              This might help:

                              http://www.railwayeng.com/hatch/lumber/index.htm

                              -Steve Hatch
                            • Darryl Huffman
                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 4 1:09 PM
                                Larry,

                                I just buy a few bottles of alcohol and pour in some black. Shake it up and stick in a piece of stripwood. Check it for color. Add more dye or more alcohol.

                                I keep about 6 bottles going all the time and just blend them together as they get empty.

                                Sorry, no formulas. Trial and error.

                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 4 8:26 PM
                                  While we're on the subject can anyone comment on which kind of alcohol
                                  to use and whether it makes a difference with a particular shoe dye as
                                  well as india ink when diluted and used similarly?
                                  70% isopropyl alcohol
                                  91% isopropyl alcohol
                                  denatured ethanol (shellac thinner)
                                  Ed Weldon
                                • Darryl Huffman
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 4 8:36 PM
                                    Ed,

                                    I use 99% isoporyl which is available at my local grocery store. The low water content is supposed to reduce warpage although I have never had any warpage problems as I build board by board.

                                    I don't worry about getting rubbing alcohol (isopropyl) on my hands.

                                    I am leery of denatured alcohol.

                                    Also leery of strange dogs and dark alleys. And unusually friendly women.

                                    Darryl Huffman
                                    12020 Old Seward Highway
                                    Anchorage, AK 99515
                                    darrylhuffman@...

                                    A link to my layout photos:

                                    http://www.darrylhuffman.50megs.com/index_1.html

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Feb 4 8:51 PM
                                      Ed, Ask MARK K' about "Durango Wheat" alcohol - I think he adds shoe
                                      polish to it to give it some colour before consumption! But crikey,
                                      does it steady his modelling hands. Regards Laurie

                                      "Ed Weldon" <23.weldon@...> wrote:

                                      "While we're on the subject can anyone comment on which kind of
                                      alcohol to use"
                                    • lloyd lehrer
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Feb 4 8:55 PM
                                        Grey goose usually.

                                        Lloyd Lehrer, 310 951-9097, Los Angeles Model RR Society (www.lamrs.org),
                                        Terrapin NG Society, 4L, NMRA, and a bunch of other time using orgs.

                                        "While we're on the subject can anyone comment on which kind of
                                        alcohol to use"

                                      • Bill
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Feb 4 9:01 PM
                                          This is what I did:

                                          I went to a hardware store and bought a gallon of Denatured Alcohol. I
                                          like this because it does not have any water that can warp wood.

                                          When I was there I also bought a box of 12 empty Ball jelly jars (the
                                          type for making jelly with the screw top sealable lid)

                                          I also went to a shoe repair shop and purchased a few boxes of Angelus
                                          leather dies. Get the dies, not the polish, you don't want the high
                                          gloss. I purchased colors like jet black, a few different browns, and
                                          a gray.

                                          I filled each jar 3/4 full, do this outside on the driveway or
                                          someplace safe. I then started adding die to a jar. I kept on stirring
                                          and testing on scrap pieces of scale lumber until I got a color that I
                                          liked. I then kept notes on which die I used and how much for each
                                          jar. I mixed colors and experimented.

                                          When I was finished with a jar, I would glue some scale lumber on the
                                          lid and stained it with my new color. This way I can easily find/match
                                          the color that I am looking for.

                                          This will give you a lifetime supply.

                                          Bill Beverly

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Feb 4 10:34 PM
                                              Mike,

                                              Soda bottles is a great tip. I take a bundle of wood and dip one end into the bottle and then the other end. The taller soda bottle will help me cover the whole stick of wood at once.

                                              Thanks.

                                              Message 22 of 25 , Feb 5 4:35 AM
                                                Guys,

                                                Pat Harriman, MMR turned me on to Prismacolor French Grey Marker pens
                                                available from Michaels, Hobby Lobby and art stores. These are a self
                                                contained marker similar to the "Magic Marker" we all grew up with.
                                                The result is a nicely weathered wood look without the potential mess
                                                of a spilled bottle of alcohol and india ink/shoe dye stain. You can
                                                safely use these in the living room while watching TV and your wife
                                                won't be worried that you will stain the furniture or carpet. Give
                                                them a try, I'm sure you will like them. Be sure to get the FRENCH
                                                GREY as it seems to give the best color. I bought set of these markers
                                                on sale at Hobby Lobby and if you use several different markers you
                                                can vary the color and this works very well.

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Feb 5 5:46 AM
                                                  In a message dated 2/4/2008 11:34:41 PM Mountain Standard Time,
                                                  darrylhuffman@... writes:

                                                  Soda bottles is a great tip. I take a bundle of wood and dip one end into
                                                  the bottle and then the other end. The taller soda bottle will help me cover
                                                  the whole stick of wood at once.

                                                  ----------------------------

                                                  I use the 1 liter soda bottles for storage of the dye mixture. I glued a
                                                  14" piece of plastic pipe to a piece of square styrene on one end so that this
                                                  'tool' will stand vertically. Place the stripwood into the pipe and fill
                                                  with the dye mixture. Let stand for a minute or two and pour the mixture back
                                                  into the storage bottle. Dump out the stripwood and spread out on a piece of
                                                  newspaper and let dry.

                                                  Keevan

                                                  48)

                                                • Marc Saval
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Feb 5 5:39 PM
                                                    What luck. I just picked up some Prismacolor markers as recommended by the
                                                    DVD on building craftsman kits. I thought I messed up because they were out
                                                    of Cool Grey markers and I got the French Grey Markers instead. After
                                                    reading what you wrote Paul, I feel much better.
                                                    Because I did not know how to air brush, I used markers for years for making
                                                    rust and weathering streaks.
                                                    --
                                                    Marc Saval
                                                    Architect

                                                  • avawebmaster
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Feb 5 10:57 PM
                                                      --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, Paul Richardson <paul@...> wrote:

                                                      > Pat Harriman, MMR turned me on to Prismacolor French Grey Marker
                                                      > pens available from Michaels, Hobby Lobby and art stores. These are
                                                      > a self contained marker similar to the "Magic Marker" we all grew up
                                                      > with. The result is a nicely weathered wood look without the
                                                      > potential mess of a spilled bottle of alcohol and india ink/shoe dye
                                                      > stain.

                                                      Somewhat similarly, my local hardware has Minwax Wood Finish Markers
                                                      in a variety of wood tones. Very nice for staining stripwood.

                                                      Eric J.