Re: [HOn3] Re: Westside Craftsman #3 K-36 Painting Project

  • Glenn476
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
      That's why I mount the motor to the brass strip--I can silicone it, and
      still adjust it for best operation. Which brings me to the next phase of
      remotoring--often forgotten--I have an old V-O-M tapped into my bench power
      supply ahead of the reversing switch. The meter is set for either the 500 ma
      or 10 amp scale, depending on the loco.. When I am installing the motor,
      and otherwise reassembling the loco, I prop it up like I did for the
      painting--then tweak the mounting screws and the coverplate screws while
      watching the needle--leaving well enough alone when the meter reaches its
      lowest level.

      Same thing when I am tightening the boiler screws. gj

        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 2, 2008
          I also found it was the good excuse to "retire" the old "Needle" V-O-M to
          the bench and use a digital for the fancier work--but the needle type is
          ideal for performance monitoring--and with the choice of using the 500 mA or
          the 10A scales--sometimes I start on the higher scale and eventually wind up
          on the lower to be able to see the progress. The lower current drawn , the
          better. gj