Re: Westside Craftsman #3 K-36 Painting Project

  • Mark Kasprowicz
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 31, 2008
      Glenn - I was helped! But I've remotored a Key c-19 where I used part
      of the OFM as the mounting plate and there is a very old PFM K-28
      where I simply glued the motor in place with Silicon using the base of
      the OFM as a cradle. I found it pays to play around with them a bit
      before going down the brass carrier route.

      Mark

      --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, "Glenn476" <glenn476@...> wrote:

      > OK--found it--hadn't gone far enough gj
      >
      > you were lucky to find a motor that fit like the original..

    • Glenn476
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 1, 2008
        That's why I mount the motor to the brass strip--I can silicone it, and
        still adjust it for best operation. Which brings me to the next phase of
        remotoring--often forgotten--I have an old V-O-M tapped into my bench power
        supply ahead of the reversing switch. The meter is set for either the 500 ma
        or 10 amp scale, depending on the loco.. When I am installing the motor,
        and otherwise reassembling the loco, I prop it up like I did for the
        painting--then tweak the mounting screws and the coverplate screws while
        watching the needle--leaving well enough alone when the meter reaches its
        lowest level.

        Same thing when I am tightening the boiler screws. gj

          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 2, 2008
            I also found it was the good excuse to "retire" the old "Needle" V-O-M to
            the bench and use a digital for the fancier work--but the needle type is
            ideal for performance monitoring--and with the choice of using the 500 mA or
            the 10A scales--sometimes I start on the higher scale and eventually wind up
            on the lower to be able to see the progress. The lower current drawn , the
            better. gj