Re: Gray crud on Westside K-27 and K-37

  • johndrgw
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 2, 2008
      Thanks, Paul, but I want to find a solution I can do myself. I wonder
      if heating up the joint might melt some of this crud? I do not recall
      if the gray crud was on the frame, but I hope it was not.

      John

      --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, Paul Richardson <paul@...> wrote:

      > John,
      >
      > I just recently bought a blasting booth and some glass beading
      > compound as the abrasive. If you aren't in a big hurry I could glass
      > bead blast it for you. I still have to set up the booth and try it on
      > one of my engines first. I assume the crud is only on the
      > superstructure and not on the frame is that correct?
      >
      > Best regards,
      >
      > Paul Richardson, MMR
      >
      > Ride the Purgatory online at:
      > http://www.purgatoryanddevilriver.com
      >
      > Please remember to sign the Guestbook
      >
      > Enjoy twisted humor? Check out the News Stand!

    • Paul Richardson
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2008
        Applying heat to a brass superstructure can be a shaky proposition if
        any other soldered items are nearby as you might get it hot enough to
        release other solder joints. A wet paper towel might help keep other
        solder joints safe.

      • Kjb80401@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 2, 2008
          In a message dated 1/2/2008 11:21:51 AM Mountain Standard Time,
          paul@... writes:

          Applying heat to a brass superstructure can be a shaky proposition if
          any other soldered items are nearby as you might get it hot enough to
          release other solder joints. A wet paper towel might help keep other
          solder joints safe.

          Paul, and the rest of you,

          This seems to be a good point to interject a discussion regarding 'hot tip'
          resistance soldering with discussions on people's opinions about the system
          and the techniques of its usage.

          I'm no expert on the subject, just slightly knowledgeable.

          Carry on, Keevan

        • Dale Buxton
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 2, 2008
            John,

            The gray stuff is actually an oxide on the tin/lead of
            the solder that was left behind when these models were
            dipped in a mild solution of Chromic Acid at the
            factory to remove surface oxidation on the brass. If
            the solder joints are not blobby or excessive, the
            oxide is actually is a great surface to paint over. It
            takes Floquil and Scale Coat primers readily and makes
            those primers almost impossible to remove. Shiney
            solder joints are almost impossible to keep painted.

            Dale Buxton

            --- johndrgw <rgsjohnny@...> wrote:

            > Thanks, Paul, but I want to find a solution I can do
            > myself. I wonder
            > if heating up the joint might melt some of this
            > crud? I do not recall
            > if the gray crud was on the frame, but I hope it was
            > not.
            >

            > John
            >

            > --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, Paul Richardson
            > <paul@...> wrote:
            > >

            > > John,
            > >
            > > I just recently bought a blasting booth and some
            > glass beading
            > > compound as the abrasive. If you aren't in a big
            > hurry I could glass
            > > bead blast it for you. I still have to set up the
            > booth and try it on
            > > one of my engines first. I assume the crud is only
            > on the
            > > superstructure and not on the frame is that
            > correct?
            > >
            > > Best regards,
            > >
            > > Paul Richardson, MMR
            > >
            > > Ride the Purgatory online at:
            > > http://www.purgatoryanddevilriver.com
            > >
            > > Please remember to sign the Guestbook
            > >
            > > Enjoy twisted humor? Check out the News Stand!

            Be a better friend, newshound, and