Re: [HOn3] Gray crud on Westside K-27 and K-37

  • Paul Richardson
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 2, 2008
      John,

      I just recently bought a blasting booth and some glass beading
      compound as the abrasive. If you aren't in a big hurry I could glass
      bead blast it for you. I still have to set up the booth and try it on
      one of my engines first. I assume the crud is only on the
      superstructure and not on the frame is that correct?

      Best regards,

      Paul Richardson, MMR

      Ride the Purgatory online at:
      http://www.purgatoryanddevilriver.com

      Please remember to sign the Guestbook

      Enjoy twisted humor? Check out the News Stand!
    • johndrgw
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2008
        Thanks, Paul, but I want to find a solution I can do myself. I wonder
        if heating up the joint might melt some of this crud? I do not recall
        if the gray crud was on the frame, but I hope it was not.

        John

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 2, 2008
          Applying heat to a brass superstructure can be a shaky proposition if
          any other soldered items are nearby as you might get it hot enough to
          release other solder joints. A wet paper towel might help keep other
          solder joints safe.

        • Kjb80401@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 2, 2008
            In a message dated 1/2/2008 11:21:51 AM Mountain Standard Time,
            paul@... writes:

            Applying heat to a brass superstructure can be a shaky proposition if
            any other soldered items are nearby as you might get it hot enough to
            release other solder joints. A wet paper towel might help keep other
            solder joints safe.

            Paul, and the rest of you,

            This seems to be a good point to interject a discussion regarding 'hot tip'
            resistance soldering with discussions on people's opinions about the system
            and the techniques of its usage.

            I'm no expert on the subject, just slightly knowledgeable.

            Carry on, Keevan

          • Dale Buxton
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 2, 2008
              John,

              The gray stuff is actually an oxide on the tin/lead of
              the solder that was left behind when these models were
              dipped in a mild solution of Chromic Acid at the
              factory to remove surface oxidation on the brass. If
              the solder joints are not blobby or excessive, the
              oxide is actually is a great surface to paint over. It
              takes Floquil and Scale Coat primers readily and makes
              those primers almost impossible to remove. Shiney
              solder joints are almost impossible to keep painted.

              Dale Buxton

              --- johndrgw <rgsjohnny@...> wrote:

              > Thanks, Paul, but I want to find a solution I can do
              > myself. I wonder
              > if heating up the joint might melt some of this
              > crud? I do not recall
              > if the gray crud was on the frame, but I hope it was
              > not.
              >

              > John
              >

              > --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, Paul Richardson
              > <paul@...> wrote:
              > >

              > > John,
              > >
              > > I just recently bought a blasting booth and some
              > glass beading
              > > compound as the abrasive. If you aren't in a big
              > hurry I could glass
              > > bead blast it for you. I still have to set up the
              > booth and try it on
              > > one of my engines first. I assume the crud is only
              > on the
              > > superstructure and not on the frame is that
              > correct?
              > >
              > > Best regards,
              > >
              > > Paul Richardson, MMR
              > >
              > > Ride the Purgatory online at:
              > > http://www.purgatoryanddevilriver.com
              > >
              > > Please remember to sign the Guestbook
              > >
              > > Enjoy twisted humor? Check out the News Stand!

              Be a better friend, newshound, and