Re: [HOn3] Snow Shed plans.

  • Ourayman55@aol.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 1, 2007
      Mark, I wrote the article in the Aug 98 RMC. The dimensions in the MR article are not really very helpful, and if you compare the photos to the drawings you will note many discrepencies. I based my dimensions on standard lumber sizes ie; 2X12 etc. and on what a two man section crew could manage into place for repairs. I worked under the assumption that the sides were made of rough cut 2X12 covering the gaps between +- 12" posts roughly 8'-12' apart set on top of +- 12"X12" timbers laid on the ground. I counted the horizontal planks and came to the height based on that measurement. I used this spacing to measure the photos for the rest of the dimensions. Photos of the inside of the sheds confirm this type of construction. I don't remember the exact width of the portals, but I established these based on clearance for the widest cylinders that were going to have to go through, the height was dictated by the tallest stack. A small amount of extra room was added to both dimensions for wiggle room, using photos as a reference so that it still looked right. I added more room on the curved sections just after the portals as our tight model curves cause the engines and cars to swing wide and overhang more than the prototype. In retrospect I should have widened the areas over the turnouts and the double track sections more as plow equiped engines picked the center poles and outer poles on the curves.?I can't measure the model to give you the exact dimensions I used as the sheds went to N. California with the rest of the RR when Jeff Reynolds moved up there, but I think that you can arrive at workable numbers using the techniques that I did. Good luck, and lay in LOTS of scale lumber before you start. Steve Durnin

      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 1, 2007
        Steve,

        I was thinking of writing to RMC (I'm a subscriber - I think it the
        best mag around in the general modelling category by a long stroke) to
        get a copy of that article. We don't that great a back library in England.

        I have some dimensions from a photo of the Cumbres shed which I took
        when the CATS train was in motion. I wonder if they ring true with
        you. Portal width = 8 feet, height = 10 feet. Timber for side
        8"x2"x10' (slightly smaller that you suggest but mine is not the
        world's best photo). I am a little confused as to there was any
        battening nailed to the the sides to close the gap between the big
        side horizontal timbers like 4"x1" just to seal the snow out -
        especially if they were rough timbers as you suggest (I suspect that
        too). I've seen pictures of the one at the Marshall pass shed but my
        RGS expect says that nothing like that was done at lizard head.

        Big question, how was the roof made up and was there any sense in the
        was the side bracing was placed?

        Steve' I have a good selection of scale timber in hand but i know
        exactly what you mean - this looks like having a voracious timber
        appetite!

        Thanks for all the help on this guys, I just fancied something other
        than another tunnel mouth to make a loco disappear into another area.

        Mark K

        > Mark, I wrote the article in the Aug 98 RMC. The dimensions in the
        MR article are not really very helpful, and if you compare the photos
        to the drawings you will note many discrepencies. I based my
        dimensions on standard lumber sizes ie; 2X12 etc. and on what a two
        man section crew could manage into place for repairs. I worked under
        the assumption that the sides were made of rough cut 2X12 covering the
        gaps between +- 12" posts roughly 8'-12' apart set on top of +-
        12"X12" timbers laid on the ground. I counted the horizontal planks
        and came to the height based on that measurement. I used this spacing
        to measure the photos for the rest of the dimensions. Photos of the
        inside of the sheds confirm this type of construction. I don't
        remember the exact width of the portals, but I established these based
        on clearance for the widest cylinders that were going to have to go
        through, the height was dictated by the tallest stack. A small amount
        of extra room was added to both dimensions for wiggle room, using
        photos as a reference so that it still looked right. I added more room
        on the curved sections just after the portals as our tight model
        curves cause the engines and cars to swing wide and overhang more than
        the prototype. In retrospect I should have widened the areas over the
        turnouts and the double track sections more as plow equiped engines
        picked the center poles and outer poles on the curves.?I can't measure
        the model to give you the exact dimensions I used as the sheds went to
        N. California with the rest of the RR when Jeff Reynolds moved up
        there, but I think that you can arrive at workable numbers using the
        techniques that I did. Good luck, and lay in LOTS of scale lumber
        before you start. Steve Durnin

      • Don Bergman
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 1, 2007
          Mark et al

          "Good luck, and lay in LOTS of scale lumber
          > before you start. Steve Durnin"

          The above is an understatement! In fact take out stock in the sawmill.
          :-)

          I have been working on the snow sheds at Lizard Head for several years now.
          It is about half finished. Currently it is a low priority. Thought the
          dimensions may be different than the D&RG I posted several photos in the Don
          Bergman's RGS II file that might give an idea or two about the construction.
          The RGS shed was built over the wye at Lizard head. I am building it in 6
          sections. One for each of the 3 entrances into the shed, and one over each
          leg of the wye. I plan to remove more of the "missing" planks from the
          completed side facing the operator so he/she has an idea where the Loco is
          going through. The shed presents a special operating difficulty since the
          cattle loading pens are on the tail of the wye some distance from the
          operator. Most operating sessions have a Stock Extra that has to spot a few
          cars at the pens.

          Don Bergman
          Holland, MI
          RGS Ridgway staging to Dolores staging and Pandora
        • Mark Kasprowicz
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 1, 2007
            Don,

            That is mighty impressive. My effort will be far more modest by a long
            way. Re dimensions of a single portal -was my 8' x 10' as scaled from,
            a photo anywhere near close? And would you please post some close up
            shots of the roof. Totally agree on the amount of wood needed -I think
            you must have used a medium sized tree by now.

            Thanks for the info.

            Mark K
          • Glenn476
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 1, 2007
              I don't think so, since a "K" is at least 10 ft wide at several places.I
              think the opening to the rotary's fan is even wider. gj
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 2, 2007
                Glenn,
                You're absolutely right. I though eight feet seemed a little narrow -
                closer to twice that! If my proportions are not somewhere around my
                ears that would make the height around 20'.

                Mark K
              • Pete Doty
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 2, 2007
                  If you are looking for a copy of an article and are an NMRA member, try the
                  library.
                  I needed one a couple of months ago, they found and shipped in a couple of
                  days.
                  They had extra copies of the magazine and offered to send one of those also.

                  Pete Doty
                  303-880-5585
                  You're absolutely right. I though eight feet seemed a little narrow -
                  closer to twice that! If my proportions are not somewhere around my
                  ears that would make the height around 20'.

                  Mark K

                  HOn3 list web pages are:
                  http://www.railwayeng.com/hon3/

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Paul Richardson
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 2, 2007
                    Pete Doty wrote. If you are looking for a copy of an article and are an NMRA
                    member, try the
                    library.

                    Pete,

                    I'm convinced the Library is one of the least understood and
                    appreciated/used resources we have as members. We tend to think of asking
                    the guys on the list and there is nothing wrong with that, I do it often as
                    well as offering answers to others. In addition my son has HUGE resource
                    library so I tend to tap him when I need information that I do not have in
                    my library.

                    Paul Richardson, MMR

                  • Don Bergman
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 2, 2007
                      Mark K.,

                      There are conflicting dimensions to published plans on the RGS Snow sheds.
                      Mine is inside clearance 18' tall (Has to clear a breakman on top of a car)
                      by 14' wide. I stretch that out to 15' on the curves. I plan to sink the
                      bottom sill into the ground to lower the shed slightly once finished in
                      2012. :-) (The year of the national NMRA is to be in Grand Rapids.)

                      I posted several more photos in the Don Bergman's RGS II folder.

                      Don Bergman
                    • harold huber
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 3, 2007
                        Pete and Paul,
                        I totally agree and it is always on the chopping block because of finances. Their head has been saved the last two times because they had generated money with the books they have published. Please use even if not a member it is very easy, cheap and resourceful.
                        Harold Huber
                        Sheridan, WY

                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 3, 2007
                          Mark

                          The D&RG bridge clearance gauge was 14' width by about 20' high. This
                          is about minimum for your portal. On tunnels, the width increases to
                          15' for curves of only moderate radius. You might need more: the back
                          corners of the cab roofs of our K class model engines tend to overhang
                          excessively when backing up. You could build an exact scale Cumbres
                          shed, and find that your engines can head in, but cannot back out!.

                          John Stutz

                          Mark Kasprowicz wrote:

                          > Don,
                          >
                          > That is mighty impressive. My effort will be far more modest by a long
                          > way. Re dimensions of a single portal -was my 8' x 10' as scaled from,
                          > a photo anywhere near close? And would you please post some close up
                          > shots of the roof. Totally agree on the amount of wood needed -I think
                          > you must have used a medium sized tree by now.
                          >
                          > Thanks for the info.
                          >
                          > Mark K

                        • skyking1084
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 4, 2007
                            Mark,

                            The Maxwell Collection has 1"=20'plans for the snow shed at Cumbres,
                            here is a link to the site:

                            http://www.colong.com/

                            Also saw some for Marshall Pass.

                            Hope it helps.