PSC c21

  • james hoffman
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 31, 2007
      For Jim Vail or anyone else that has experence with Precision Scale
      company c21. Southwest Narrow gauge has some PSC c21 for sale. I may
      buy one. I noticed that Jim Vail has in the files section some things
      that he had to do to get engine to run. I would like to know what you
      did to improve electrical pick up and are there any other things that
      you had to do to it that are not listed in the files post. I would
      like to put micro tsunami in it. Is there enough room in the tender?Jim
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 31, 2007
        As far as I can recall I listed everything that I had to do to get my
        C-21's going. I didn't do anything extra to enhance their electrical
        pickup and I'm not having any problems with their running. They are
        very light and unbalanced, and I was able to get ~1/4 oz. of weight
        under the front of the boiler. Painted flat black they don't show
        (unless you pick up the engine and look for them specifically). This
        weight helped a little - very little. One pulls 2 old wood LaBelle
        passenger cars, the other is working in freight service with the help of
        a Westside C-16. Incidentally, I mounted Kadee #78 (or58?) couplers on
        these locos and they look ugly and don't stay coupled well - these are
        the first two that I plan on replacing with Sergents couplers.

        I too would like to install Micro-Tsunami decoders in my C-21's. I
        haven't had the tenders open, but they look darn small. I added an
        extra 220mF capacitor (in parallel) in one of my C-16's and it runs a
        lot better than the other one. Is the extra capacitance helping? I'm
        not sure but I plan on getting extra capacitance in my other locos if I
        can - including the C-21's.

        Jim Vail

        james hoffman wrote:

        > For Jim Vail or anyone else that has experence with Precision Scale
        > company c21. Southwest Narrow gauge has some PSC c21 for sale. I may
        > buy one. I noticed that Jim Vail has in the files section some things
        > that he had to do to get engine to run. I would like to know what you
        > did to improve electrical pick up and are there any other things that
        > you had to do to it that are not listed in the files post. I would
        > like to put micro tsunami in it. Is there enough room in the tender?Jim

      • Mark Kasprowicz
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 31, 2007
          > I added an
          > extra 220mF capacitor (in parallel) in one of my C-16's and it runs a
          > lot better than the other one. Is the extra capacitance helping? I'm
          > not sure but I plan on getting extra capacitance in my other locos
          if >I can

          Jim,

          I asked at Soundtraxx whether the capacitor only affected the sound
          section as it was so small - other stay alive capacitors tend to be in
          the order of 1000uF and above. This would leave the motor to continue
          to turn through inertia rather than the capacitor.

          Extra capacitance will always help. But there is a danger when a
          number of locos using large capacitance are present on a layout at one
          time. On switch-on the surge in the demand on the base station to fill
          the capacitors could be so large and sudden as to simulate a short. So
          the base would shut down allowing the capacitors to discharge and when
          the base started up again it would see the same situation. The simple
          circuit using a diode and resistor in the capacitor circuit which
          limits the surge but allow a rapid discharge is the answer as already
          mentioned.

          Presently working on a DP K-28 with the Micro Tsunami crosswise in the
          coal hole, 220uF + 470uf capacitors and a Blackstone drawbar. As I
          might have said in the past I run the layout at 12 volts and can use
          lower voltage capacitors than the 25v version so more capacitance for
          the same size.

          Mark K
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 31, 2007
            Mark,

            Your response sounds a bit like the old phrase, "Two countries separated by a common language."!

            So was their response that it only helped with the sound, or that it helped with the motor as well?

            Mike Conder

            Mark Kasprowicz wrote:

            I asked at Soundtraxx whether the capacitor only affected the sound
            section as it was so small - other stay alive capacitors tend to be in
            the order of 1000uF and above. This would leave the motor to continue
            to turn through inertia rather than the capacitor.

            .

          • Mark Kasprowicz
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 31, 2007
              Mike,

              I knew there was something I'd missed - senior moment! There was no
              one there that could answer the question. The point of this being that
              if the capacitor only works on the sound section, extra capacity will
              not improve running.

              Mark
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 31, 2007
                I only reported what I did and what the results were. No speculation
                and no theory.

                Jim Vail