Bandsaws - Cutting foam & other stuff

  • Ed Weldon
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2007
      --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, bnd9775@... wrote:
      > Ed, What sort of blade did you use on the band saw for cutting foam?

      Bob-- Hmmm......... 1/2"wide 14 teeth per inch .025 thick. Guess I
      should have mentioned that.

      I use this blade for just about everything running at 3000 feet per
      minute speed usually specified for wood. Exceptions are any steel,
      aluminum over 3/16" and brass over 1/8", especially long cuts. For
      those I use a lower speed. Another exception is resawing thick wood,
      especially hardwood like oak where I use a 3 tooth per inch 3/4" wide
      blade. I'm not sure how this one would work for foam; but I'm not
      optimistic.

      I should add a note on my approach to the band saw as a shop tool for
      me and the kinds of work I do. I rate myself somewhere in the greater
      middle with respect to competence in woodworking. These days I don't
      do much furniture building other than occasional construction of
      various types of shop storage, etc. We live in a small house. The
      first 20 years of our marriage saw the house filled with a combination
      of cheap couches, second hand and homemade furniture. As the "house
      poor" years faded the "Ethan Allen" period began. As soon as Ethan
      Allen infected a room all my old handiwork in that space was
      essentially doomed. This is one reason why the resaw blade doesn't
      live in the bandsaw.

      The other reasons are that I'm a bit lazy to be changing blades all
      the time; and the coarse tooth blade scares me a bit, even to this day.

      I find that the reason why the bandsaw is the most used tool in my
      shop is that it is ready to go for a large number of different jobs
      without the hassle of blade changing. Perhaps I wear the blades out a
      bit faster and sacrifice a bit of accuracy and cut quality especially
      when the tooth set on the 14TPI blade wears down. That's OK for me.
      It's ready to go anytime I want to cut plastic, cardboard, plywood,
      rubber,foam, sheet aluminum and brass, fiberglass, rawhide dog bones,
      kindling wood or whatever. Even my wife uses it. Setup the way I
      have it works well for the wide variety of tasks that accompany a
      serious model railroad hobby.

      All of the above ought to be food for thought when you get your first
      band saw and are tempted to load up an a dozen different blades each
      with a special cutting task. I had several of those odd types up on a
      high shelf in boxes still sealed after 25 years of use of my old 12"
      Craftsman saw when I traded up to a 14" Delta. (good investment)

      Ed Weldon Los Gatos, CA
    • bnd9775@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2007
        Thanks Ed.