Re: [HOn3] Put the foam in the freezer

  • Kenneth Martin
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 30, 2007
      Use a serrated knife, a bread knife works. Or a steak knife for thinner
      pieces.

      Don't get caught by the missus and clean it.

      Ken Martin

      Bill wrote:

      >One trick for cutting foam is to put the foam in the freezer for a few
      >hours. When it is good a cold, it will be stiff and you can cut it with
      >a kitchen knife.
      >
      >Bill B.

    • Ed Weldon
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2007
        --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, bnd9775@... wrote:
        > Ed, What sort of blade did you use on the band saw for cutting foam?

        Bob-- Hmmm......... 1/2"wide 14 teeth per inch .025 thick. Guess I
        should have mentioned that.

        I use this blade for just about everything running at 3000 feet per
        minute speed usually specified for wood. Exceptions are any steel,
        aluminum over 3/16" and brass over 1/8", especially long cuts. For
        those I use a lower speed. Another exception is resawing thick wood,
        especially hardwood like oak where I use a 3 tooth per inch 3/4" wide
        blade. I'm not sure how this one would work for foam; but I'm not
        optimistic.

        I should add a note on my approach to the band saw as a shop tool for
        me and the kinds of work I do. I rate myself somewhere in the greater
        middle with respect to competence in woodworking. These days I don't
        do much furniture building other than occasional construction of
        various types of shop storage, etc. We live in a small house. The
        first 20 years of our marriage saw the house filled with a combination
        of cheap couches, second hand and homemade furniture. As the "house
        poor" years faded the "Ethan Allen" period began. As soon as Ethan
        Allen infected a room all my old handiwork in that space was
        essentially doomed. This is one reason why the resaw blade doesn't
        live in the bandsaw.

        The other reasons are that I'm a bit lazy to be changing blades all
        the time; and the coarse tooth blade scares me a bit, even to this day.

        I find that the reason why the bandsaw is the most used tool in my
        shop is that it is ready to go for a large number of different jobs
        without the hassle of blade changing. Perhaps I wear the blades out a
        bit faster and sacrifice a bit of accuracy and cut quality especially
        when the tooth set on the 14TPI blade wears down. That's OK for me.
        It's ready to go anytime I want to cut plastic, cardboard, plywood,
        rubber,foam, sheet aluminum and brass, fiberglass, rawhide dog bones,
        kindling wood or whatever. Even my wife uses it. Setup the way I
        have it works well for the wide variety of tasks that accompany a
        serious model railroad hobby.

        All of the above ought to be food for thought when you get your first
        band saw and are tempted to load up an a dozen different blades each
        with a special cutting task. I had several of those odd types up on a
        high shelf in boxes still sealed after 25 years of use of my old 12"
        Craftsman saw when I traded up to a 14" Delta. (good investment)

        Ed Weldon Los Gatos, CA
      • bnd9775@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1, 2007
          Thanks Ed.