Re: blackstone k27

  • railwayeng
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 30, 2007
      > Steve,
      >
      > Looks really nice. What specific adhesive did you use, Spray 77??
      >

      > Robert Bell

      Hi Bob
      i just used a can of 3m adhesive spray. The same one I use to
      attach ground foam to trees. It stays tacky for about 5 minutes
      so it gives you time to sprinkle the coal (or foam)
      -Steve Hatch
      -Ukiah CA.

      The NCNG boys came over sunday and ran trains but.......
      while they were here, several of them helped me run the
      injection machine and we made parts.
      So it looks like I will have some more Carter Car kits
      ready in the next month. I will definitely have some
      for the HOn3 Symposium.
      Finally...... it's taken three years to get this last
      batch.
      Thank you's go to The NCNG "gang"
      Jim Wagner
      Dave Sheber
      Rich Mossholder
      Ron Bracklow
      Jerry Phillips
      Belinda Black (she fixed dinner)

      3rd subject:
      Ron and I had a spirited debate about DCC and it's
      various facets. Ron convinced me that there is a large amount of
      Dis-information out there about DCC.

      Most systems and decoders are very easy to use now.
      Even the new Tsunamis.
      You don't have to learn hexadecimal or any of that anymore.
      I have both an NCE and Digitrax system on my RR and one
      switch to select either.
      They are both just about as easy to use and program with.
      You do need a "buddy" to help you kinda get started, but
      that can be here on this list.
      The NCNG guys have several Tsunamis and we programmed
      some of them on Sunday. It's just not dificult anymore.
      If someone tells you it is, they're wrong. It's
      just there is a lot of bad information out "there".
      If you have any concerns or questions about DCC, please
      feel free to seek help here or e-mail me directly and
      I'll help get rid of the misunderstandings.
      Most of the systems available work just fine so please
      don't get into a debate over "the best system" take that
      to one of the DCC lists.
      But if you want straight forward SIMPLE answers, we have
      them here. It's not tough. Anyone can learn it in a
      couple days.
      It is a new language, so it takes a day or so to
      get it, but that's all. It's a very simple language.
      I'm 67 and I learned it so, relax. Ask, we'll answer.
      Once you have that, you've got the whole thing.
      -Steve Hatch
      -Railway Engineering
      -Proud member of the NCNG
    • Rob Bell
      Message 2 of 20 , May 6 7:58 AM
        I am curious, how many of y'all's k-27's had the draw-bar connected
        in the box??

        Mine was not, the instructions say it should've been, and now the
        retaining pin on the loco side has broken. I think the tender
        portion of the draw-bar was pushing down on the top of the loco side
        in the box, possibly bending the retaining pin. On the brighter
        side, I have been playing with a friends' DCC and the Blackstone is
        really incredible.

        Thanks!!

        Robert Bell
        Division Chief,
        White Pass & Yukon Route,
        Poplar Division
        Waynesville, NC
      • tomp1000
        Message 3 of 20 , May 6 8:40 AM
          When I received my #464, the connector was connected, but like you
          mentioned, the connecting pin/stud to the locomotive was broken off
          and in the bottom of the box. Have returned to Blackstone and Alan
          says they will fix vs replace (am interested in seing how this will
          be done). Expect back early this week.
          Tom Peterman
          D&RGW - CA Div

          --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, Rob Bell <ionhoss@...> wrote:

          > I am curious, how many of y'all's k-27's had the draw-bar
          connected
          > in the box??
          >
          > Mine was not, the instructions say it should've been, and now the
          > retaining pin on the loco side has broken. I think the tender
          > portion of the draw-bar was pushing down on the top of the loco
          side
          > in the box, possibly bending the retaining pin. On the brighter
          > side, I have been playing with a friends' DCC and the Blackstone
          is
          > really incredible.
          >
          > Thanks!!
          >

          > Robert Bell
          > Division Chief,
          > White Pass & Yukon Route,
          > Poplar Division
          > Waynesville, NC

        • Bill Weiss
          Message 4 of 20 , May 6 10:35 AM
            Robert and all,

            Mine was connected, and that part of the loco was not a problem.

            I'm still awaiting the return. The promissed Friday delivery didn't
            materialize, but that could also be a UPS action, more than likely. I'm
            hoping for tomorrow!

            Bill
          • james hoffman
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 3, 2007
              Duncan do you know when the next batch of Blackstone k27 is going to
              arrive? Jim
            • train3guy
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 3, 2007
                Jim,

                As far as I know, nothing has changed in the projections for the last couple of months. It is still end of August, first of September, or there about. Hope this helps!
                Duncan