Re: [HOn3] Re: K-36 min Radius ?

    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 1, 2007
      David wrote:

      > Thanks Tom,Scott,
      >
      > For your replies 8^) Do either of you (Or anyone else for that
      > matter) know if Westside made a K-36 with the removable roof?
      > According to my Brown book, PFM was the only one. It has a Westside
      > box, but it has a removable Cab Roof?
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > David

      Westside, PSC and PFM all made locomotive models with removable roofs at
      one time or another.

      Jim Vail

    • Paul Richardson
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 1, 2007
        I have a pair of Westside K-27s and they work fine on an 18 inch curve.
        I have not had any issues with the trailing truck shorting.

        Paul Richardson, MMR

        Ride the Purgatory online at:
        http://www.purgatoryanddevilriver.com

        Please remember to sign the Guestbook

        Enjoy twisted humor? Check out the News Stand!
      • Tim Godfrey
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 1, 2007
          My Westside K-36 has a removable roof. There was a big write up on this
          loco by Charlie Getz in an early Gazette.

          Tim Godfrey

          G. S. I. Inc.

          Manufacturing and Distributing Aerospace Lighting

          3051 Pine Street

          Clearwater, Florida 33763-0914

          (727) 799-4916 (727) 724-0212 fax

          gsiinc@... www.gsilight.com

          _____

          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 1, 2007
            Once again this group has answered my questions! It is really nice to
            be able to tap into such a deep vat of knowledge!
            Thank you all
            8^)

            David
          • Scott McLeod
            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 1, 2007
              David,

              My son's WSM K-36 has a removable roof. That came in very handy when it
              came time to paint and glass the cab...

              Scott McLeod
              HOn3 RGS Ridgway - Durango

            • Rob Spangler
              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 1, 2007
                Tom Peterman writes:

                "I have both Westside K-36 & K-37 and they take 22" radius (really closer to
                20" in yard) and #6 Shinohara tournouts just fine. If you branch out to
                other K series watch out for Westside K-27 - the trailing truck tends to
                short on the above configuration (PFM and new Blackstone are just fine)."

                I experienced the shorting problems with my Westside K-27s, and cured them
                by replacing the trailing truck wheelsets with plastic wheels left over from
                some old E&B Valley trucks.

                Rob Spangler

                Syracuse, UT

              • Ted Wiese
                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 10, 2007
                  I would really like one too, but in O scale

                  ted

                  --

                  Ted Wiese
                  ted.wiese@...
                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 10, 2007
                    Gents,

                    A friend and I have recently purchased a laser and are in the
                    process of getting a company started. So...any particular smelter
                    or just something in general?

                    Duane Richardson

                    El Lobo Division
                    Purgatory & Devil River Railroad

                  • Kjb80401@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 11, 2007
                      In a message dated 2/11/2007 12:20:49 AM Mountain Standard Time,
                      pinecreekstation@... writes:

                      A friend and I have recently purchased a laser and are in the
                      process of getting a company started. So...any particular smelter
                      or just something in general?

                      Duane,

                      In my particular case I would want "something in general" with a relatively
                      small footprint to be installed in a rather tight area. The model would
                      require less research than a specific prototype and be more likely to be
                      universally accepted.

                      Keevan

                    • Ted Wiese
                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 11, 2007
                        I'm not looking for a full size model of Durango either. Something
                        small and generic would meet my needs
                        ted

                        On 2/11/07, Kjb80401@... <Kjb80401@...> wrote:

                        thing in general?

                        > Duane,
                        >
                        > In my particular case I would want "something in general" with a relatively
                        > small footprint to be installed in a rather tight area. The model would
                        > require less research than a specific prototype and be more likely to be
                        > universally accepted.
                        >
                        > Keevan
                        >
                        >Ted Wiese
                        ted.wiese@...
                      • train3guy
                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 11, 2007
                          Duane,

                          I, too, think a generic smelter might be best. part of the reason for that is the scarcity of plans, or even photos, of smelters. Good luck on the venture!
                          Duncan

                        • Kjb80401@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 26 , Feb 11, 2007
                            In a message dated 2/11/2007 1:58:32 PM Mountain Standard Time,
                            train3guy@... writes:

                            I, too, think a generic smelter might be best. part of the reason for that
                            is the scarcity of plans, or even photos, of smelters.

                            Duncan, et. al.;

                            I have one photo of the Golden smelter, taken from across the creek. It
                            doesn't show it all, but doing a little visual math, it had to be longer than a
                            five car train. What is shown is several structures supporting the
                            operation, probably connected to one another.

                            Anyone want me to post it?

                            Keevan

                          • Mike Lehman
                            Message 13 of 26 , Feb 11, 2007
                              I actually model Durango, but like most people, I don't have anywhere
                              near the room to model the entire smelter area. I do have two tracks
                              into the area where I'll put the smelter, a high line and a low line. I
                              do know that there are lots of photos of the Durango smelter available
                              at various points in its existence, because its configuration,
                              buildings, smokestacks, etc did change over the years.

                              I would argue in favor of something based on it, but obviously condensed
                              to a useful size for most of us. It could even be somewhat modular, so
                              that people could build more or less of it to suit, if you really wanted
                              to have something with flexibility. The spot I have is about 30" by 12",
                              but it does have the two tracks running through the area. I always
                              figured I'd end up scratchbuilding it. so I didn't worry too much about
                              fitting anything in the spot I have set aside for it. I could always
                              move the tracks some to accommodate a particular building configuration
                              if a kit was available.

                              That's my two cents,
                              Mike Lehman
                              Urbana, IL

                              Ted Wiese wrote:
                              > I'm not looking for a full size model of Durango either. Something
                              > small and generic would meet my needs
                              > ted
                              >
                              > On 2/11/07, Kjb80401@... <Kjb80401@...> wrote:
                              >

                              > thing in general?
                              >
                              >> Duane,
                              >>
                              >> In my particular case I would want "something in general" with a relatively
                              >> small footprint to be installed in a rather tight area. The model would
                              >> require less research than a specific prototype and be more likely to be
                              >> universally accepted.
                              >>
                              >> Keevan
                              >>
                              >> Ted Wiese
                            • Sam Bass
                              Message 14 of 26 , Feb 11, 2007
                                The best example of a small smelter I can think of off the top of my
                                head is the Kendrick-Gelder on the north end of Silverton.
                                Relatively simple layout with an interesting mix of roof lines. It
                                is a single stack (one furnace) operation with an attached sample
                                mill and covered storage bins for ore. It probably had a maximum
                                capacity of 150 tons per day. Photos and a Sanborn map are in The
                                Rainbow Route. I know of other more compact operations, but don't
                                have any photos of them.

                                Sam Bass

                                --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, Mike Lehman <rebelmike@...> wrote:

                                > I actually model Durango, but like most people, I don't have
                                anywhere
                                > near the room to model the entire smelter area. I do have two
                                tracks
                                > into the area where I'll put the smelter, a high line and a low
                                line. I
                                > do know that there are lots of photos of the Durango smelter
                                available
                                > at various points in its existence, because its configuration,
                                > buildings, smokestacks, etc did change over the years.
                                >
                                > I would argue in favor of something based on it, but obviously
                                condensed
                                > to a useful size for most of us. It could even be somewhat
                                modular, so
                                > that people could build more or less of it to suit, if you really
                                wanted
                                > to have something with flexibility. The spot I have is about 30"
                                by 12",
                                > but it does have the two tracks running through the area. I always
                                > figured I'd end up scratchbuilding it. so I didn't worry too much
                                about
                                > fitting anything in the spot I have set aside for it. I could
                                always
                                > move the tracks some to accommodate a particular building
                                configuration
                                > if a kit was available.
                                >
                                > That's my two cents,
                                > Mike Lehman
                                > Urbana, IL
                                >
                                > Ted Wiese wrote:
                                > > I'm not looking for a full size model of Durango either.
                                Something
                                > > small and generic would meet my needs
                                > > ted
                                > >
                                > > On 2/11/07, Kjb80401@... <Kjb80401@...> wrote:
                                > >

                                > > thing in general?
                                > >
                                > >> Duane,
                                > >>
                                > >> In my particular case I would want "something in general" with
                                a relatively
                                > >> small footprint to be installed in a rather tight area. The
                                model would
                                > >> require less research than a specific prototype and be more
                                likely to be
                                > >> universally accepted.
                                > >>
                                > >> Keevan
                                > >>
                                > >> Ted Wiese

                              • Mike Lehman
                                Message 15 of 26 , Feb 11, 2007
                                  Sam,
                                  The Kendrick-Gelder is an excellent idea. I'd also be interested in such
                                  a model. Besides Durango, my layout covers the Silevrton Branch and
                                  parts of the Mears roads. I have another, smaller location (18" by 12")
                                  at Silverton similar to the larger area at Durango. It likewise has
                                  upper and lower tracks.

                                  BTW, the elevation difference between upper and lower tracks in both
                                  cases on my layout is only 2" orabout 15 feet in HO scale, so basically
                                  only a one-story or story-and-a-half height difference between the
                                  tracks. Most modelers needing a small smelter, or a mill for that
                                  matter, may be faced with the limited runs of track available to gain or
                                  lose elevation under the same circumstances to separate such tracks. So
                                  this is something to keep in mind in designing a freelanced smelter or
                                  adapting such a kit to individual circumstances.
                                  Mike Lehman
                                  Urbana, IL

                                  Sam Bass wrote:
                                  > The best example of a small smelter I can think of off the top of my
                                  > head is the Kendrick-Gelder on the north end of Silverton.
                                  > Relatively simple layout with an interesting mix of roof lines. It
                                  > is a single stack (one furnace) operation with an attached sample
                                  > mill and covered storage bins for ore. It probably had a maximum
                                  > capacity of 150 tons per day. Photos and a Sanborn map are in The
                                  > Rainbow Route. I know of other more compact operations, but don't
                                  > have any photos of them.
                                  >
                                  > Sam Bass
                                • Don Bergman
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Feb 12, 2007
                                    go to the Denver Public Library and type in Smelter and you get a ton of photos of smelters from the size of two sheds to Pueblo, Durango and Leadville monsters.

                                    Type in Silverton Smelter and you get this...

                                    http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10061438+X-61438

                                    Don Bergman
                                    Holland, MI

                                  • Paul Richardson

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Feb 12, 2007
                                        In a message dated 2/12/2007 8:03:32 AM Mountain Standard Time,
                                        paul@... writes:

                                        Keevan,

                                        Yes please post the photo of the Golden smelter.

                                        Paul,

                                        Just added it to my photo album "Keevan's Pics"

                                        Keevan