Re: [HOn3] Re: K-36 min Radius ?

  • Jim Williams
    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 31, 2007
      Hi ...Westside's "Craftman's Series" K-36, built by Nakamura in 1977, had removable roofs. also were underpowered with a very small motor, I remotored mine and it makes a world of difference, they will now pull more then themselves.....Best Jim Williams

      ap <sp9@...> wrote: On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 05:29:56 -0000, David wrote:

      >Thanks Tom,Scott,
      >
      > For your replies 8^) Do either of you (Or anyone else for that
      >matter) know if Westside made a K-36 with the removable roof?
      >According to my Brown book, PFM was the only one. It has a Westside
      >box, but it has a removable Cab Roof?

      my westside has a removeable roof, the pfm [fuji built 1977] has a fixed roof.
      sent by andy peerand using recyled protons

      ... Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.

      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 1, 2007
        David wrote:

        > Thanks Tom,Scott,
        >
        > For your replies 8^) Do either of you (Or anyone else for that
        > matter) know if Westside made a K-36 with the removable roof?
        > According to my Brown book, PFM was the only one. It has a Westside
        > box, but it has a removable Cab Roof?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > David

        Westside, PSC and PFM all made locomotive models with removable roofs at
        one time or another.

        Jim Vail

      • Paul Richardson
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 1, 2007
          I have a pair of Westside K-27s and they work fine on an 18 inch curve.
          I have not had any issues with the trailing truck shorting.

          Paul Richardson, MMR

          Ride the Purgatory online at:
          http://www.purgatoryanddevilriver.com

          Please remember to sign the Guestbook

          Enjoy twisted humor? Check out the News Stand!
        • Tim Godfrey
          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 1, 2007
            My Westside K-36 has a removable roof. There was a big write up on this
            loco by Charlie Getz in an early Gazette.

            Tim Godfrey

            G. S. I. Inc.

            Manufacturing and Distributing Aerospace Lighting

            3051 Pine Street

            Clearwater, Florida 33763-0914

            (727) 799-4916 (727) 724-0212 fax

            gsiinc@... www.gsilight.com

            _____

            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 1, 2007
              Once again this group has answered my questions! It is really nice to
              be able to tap into such a deep vat of knowledge!
              Thank you all
              8^)

              David
            • Scott McLeod
              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 1, 2007
                David,

                My son's WSM K-36 has a removable roof. That came in very handy when it
                came time to paint and glass the cab...

                Scott McLeod
                HOn3 RGS Ridgway - Durango

              • Rob Spangler
                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 1, 2007
                  Tom Peterman writes:

                  "I have both Westside K-36 & K-37 and they take 22" radius (really closer to
                  20" in yard) and #6 Shinohara tournouts just fine. If you branch out to
                  other K series watch out for Westside K-27 - the trailing truck tends to
                  short on the above configuration (PFM and new Blackstone are just fine)."

                  I experienced the shorting problems with my Westside K-27s, and cured them
                  by replacing the trailing truck wheelsets with plastic wheels left over from
                  some old E&B Valley trucks.

                  Rob Spangler

                  Syracuse, UT

                • Ted Wiese
                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 10, 2007
                    I would really like one too, but in O scale

                    ted

                    --

                    Ted Wiese
                    ted.wiese@...
                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 10, 2007
                      Gents,

                      A friend and I have recently purchased a laser and are in the
                      process of getting a company started. So...any particular smelter
                      or just something in general?

                      Duane Richardson

                      El Lobo Division
                      Purgatory & Devil River Railroad

                    • Kjb80401@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 11, 2007
                        In a message dated 2/11/2007 12:20:49 AM Mountain Standard Time,
                        pinecreekstation@... writes:

                        A friend and I have recently purchased a laser and are in the
                        process of getting a company started. So...any particular smelter
                        or just something in general?

                        Duane,

                        In my particular case I would want "something in general" with a relatively
                        small footprint to be installed in a rather tight area. The model would
                        require less research than a specific prototype and be more likely to be
                        universally accepted.

                        Keevan

                      • Ted Wiese
                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 11, 2007
                          I'm not looking for a full size model of Durango either. Something
                          small and generic would meet my needs
                          ted

                          On 2/11/07, Kjb80401@... <Kjb80401@...> wrote:

                          thing in general?

                          > Duane,
                          >
                          > In my particular case I would want "something in general" with a relatively
                          > small footprint to be installed in a rather tight area. The model would
                          > require less research than a specific prototype and be more likely to be
                          > universally accepted.
                          >
                          > Keevan
                          >
                          >Ted Wiese
                          ted.wiese@...
                        • train3guy
                          Message 12 of 26 , Feb 11, 2007
                            Duane,

                            I, too, think a generic smelter might be best. part of the reason for that is the scarcity of plans, or even photos, of smelters. Good luck on the venture!
                            Duncan

                          • Kjb80401@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 26 , Feb 11, 2007
                              In a message dated 2/11/2007 1:58:32 PM Mountain Standard Time,
                              train3guy@... writes:

                              I, too, think a generic smelter might be best. part of the reason for that
                              is the scarcity of plans, or even photos, of smelters.

                              Duncan, et. al.;

                              I have one photo of the Golden smelter, taken from across the creek. It
                              doesn't show it all, but doing a little visual math, it had to be longer than a
                              five car train. What is shown is several structures supporting the
                              operation, probably connected to one another.

                              Anyone want me to post it?

                              Keevan

                            • Mike Lehman
                              Message 14 of 26 , Feb 11, 2007
                                I actually model Durango, but like most people, I don't have anywhere
                                near the room to model the entire smelter area. I do have two tracks
                                into the area where I'll put the smelter, a high line and a low line. I
                                do know that there are lots of photos of the Durango smelter available
                                at various points in its existence, because its configuration,
                                buildings, smokestacks, etc did change over the years.

                                I would argue in favor of something based on it, but obviously condensed
                                to a useful size for most of us. It could even be somewhat modular, so
                                that people could build more or less of it to suit, if you really wanted
                                to have something with flexibility. The spot I have is about 30" by 12",
                                but it does have the two tracks running through the area. I always
                                figured I'd end up scratchbuilding it. so I didn't worry too much about
                                fitting anything in the spot I have set aside for it. I could always
                                move the tracks some to accommodate a particular building configuration
                                if a kit was available.

                                That's my two cents,
                                Mike Lehman
                                Urbana, IL

                                Ted Wiese wrote:
                                > I'm not looking for a full size model of Durango either. Something
                                > small and generic would meet my needs
                                > ted
                                >
                                > On 2/11/07, Kjb80401@... <Kjb80401@...> wrote:
                                >

                                > thing in general?
                                >
                                >> Duane,
                                >>
                                >> In my particular case I would want "something in general" with a relatively
                                >> small footprint to be installed in a rather tight area. The model would
                                >> require less research than a specific prototype and be more likely to be
                                >> universally accepted.
                                >>
                                >> Keevan
                                >>
                                >> Ted Wiese
                              • Sam Bass
                                Message 15 of 26 , Feb 11, 2007
                                  The best example of a small smelter I can think of off the top of my
                                  head is the Kendrick-Gelder on the north end of Silverton.
                                  Relatively simple layout with an interesting mix of roof lines. It
                                  is a single stack (one furnace) operation with an attached sample
                                  mill and covered storage bins for ore. It probably had a maximum
                                  capacity of 150 tons per day. Photos and a Sanborn map are in The
                                  Rainbow Route. I know of other more compact operations, but don't
                                  have any photos of them.

                                  Sam Bass

                                  --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, Mike Lehman <rebelmike@...> wrote:

                                  > I actually model Durango, but like most people, I don't have
                                  anywhere
                                  > near the room to model the entire smelter area. I do have two
                                  tracks
                                  > into the area where I'll put the smelter, a high line and a low
                                  line. I
                                  > do know that there are lots of photos of the Durango smelter
                                  available
                                  > at various points in its existence, because its configuration,
                                  > buildings, smokestacks, etc did change over the years.
                                  >
                                  > I would argue in favor of something based on it, but obviously
                                  condensed
                                  > to a useful size for most of us. It could even be somewhat
                                  modular, so
                                  > that people could build more or less of it to suit, if you really
                                  wanted
                                  > to have something with flexibility. The spot I have is about 30"
                                  by 12",
                                  > but it does have the two tracks running through the area. I always
                                  > figured I'd end up scratchbuilding it. so I didn't worry too much
                                  about
                                  > fitting anything in the spot I have set aside for it. I could
                                  always
                                  > move the tracks some to accommodate a particular building
                                  configuration
                                  > if a kit was available.
                                  >
                                  > That's my two cents,
                                  > Mike Lehman
                                  > Urbana, IL
                                  >
                                  > Ted Wiese wrote:
                                  > > I'm not looking for a full size model of Durango either.
                                  Something
                                  > > small and generic would meet my needs
                                  > > ted
                                  > >
                                  > > On 2/11/07, Kjb80401@... <Kjb80401@...> wrote:
                                  > >

                                  > > thing in general?
                                  > >
                                  > >> Duane,
                                  > >>
                                  > >> In my particular case I would want "something in general" with
                                  a relatively
                                  > >> small footprint to be installed in a rather tight area. The
                                  model would
                                  > >> require less research than a specific prototype and be more
                                  likely to be
                                  > >> universally accepted.
                                  > >>
                                  > >> Keevan
                                  > >>
                                  > >> Ted Wiese

                                • Mike Lehman
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Feb 11, 2007
                                    Sam,
                                    The Kendrick-Gelder is an excellent idea. I'd also be interested in such
                                    a model. Besides Durango, my layout covers the Silevrton Branch and
                                    parts of the Mears roads. I have another, smaller location (18" by 12")
                                    at Silverton similar to the larger area at Durango. It likewise has
                                    upper and lower tracks.

                                    BTW, the elevation difference between upper and lower tracks in both
                                    cases on my layout is only 2" orabout 15 feet in HO scale, so basically
                                    only a one-story or story-and-a-half height difference between the
                                    tracks. Most modelers needing a small smelter, or a mill for that
                                    matter, may be faced with the limited runs of track available to gain or
                                    lose elevation under the same circumstances to separate such tracks. So
                                    this is something to keep in mind in designing a freelanced smelter or
                                    adapting such a kit to individual circumstances.
                                    Mike Lehman
                                    Urbana, IL

                                    Sam Bass wrote:
                                    > The best example of a small smelter I can think of off the top of my
                                    > head is the Kendrick-Gelder on the north end of Silverton.
                                    > Relatively simple layout with an interesting mix of roof lines. It
                                    > is a single stack (one furnace) operation with an attached sample
                                    > mill and covered storage bins for ore. It probably had a maximum
                                    > capacity of 150 tons per day. Photos and a Sanborn map are in The
                                    > Rainbow Route. I know of other more compact operations, but don't
                                    > have any photos of them.
                                    >
                                    > Sam Bass
                                  • Don Bergman
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Feb 12, 2007
                                      go to the Denver Public Library and type in Smelter and you get a ton of photos of smelters from the size of two sheds to Pueblo, Durango and Leadville monsters.

                                      Type in Silverton Smelter and you get this...

                                      http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10061438+X-61438

                                      Don Bergman
                                      Holland, MI

                                    • Paul Richardson

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Feb 12, 2007
                                          In a message dated 2/12/2007 8:03:32 AM Mountain Standard Time,
                                          paul@... writes:

                                          Keevan,

                                          Yes please post the photo of the Golden smelter.

                                          Paul,

                                          Just added it to my photo album "Keevan's Pics"

                                          Keevan