Re: [HOn3] PB Board Ties

  • Dale Buxton
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 31, 2006
      Doc,

      Fast Tracks has them. Here is the URL

      http://www.handlaidtrack.com/category.php?id=128&link_str=128::213

      These PC board ties are punched out, not sheared like
      most brands. Drop Shearing causes an edge of the PC
      board to mangle and twist (read mash and spiral) in
      the cutting maneuver. It's a bugger to get that twist
      out without snapping the fiberglass board. Punching
      makes for a crisp edge with no twisting. Fast Tracks
      ties come pre-sized to switch tie length.

      Dale Buxton

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • bnd9775@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2, 2006
        I have been laying turnouts on pc ties for a while. I cut my own ties using
        circuit board coppered on one side only using a seven inch combo shear/bending
        brake from Micro Mark (I have more recently seen what looks like the same
        device in several Harbor Freight catalogues for a little less. This seems to
        have worked well for me though I have problems getting a consistent width with
        the shear I bought - there is no guide on this model to set the width of the cut
        but appears to be on newer models. I was not aware of a commercial source
        for pc board ties when I started. It is nice to be able to cut what I need when
        needed though I'm not sure I would go the route I chose had I been aware of a
        commercial product. Initially I did the cutting with a band saw. Very hard
        on the saw blades and hard to get a proper width. Wouldn't recommend this
        approach.

        Bob