Re: D&RGW Combine #212

  • TonyK375@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 2, 1999
      The Maxwell drawing shows the cupola and handrails being added in 1928 for
      use on the Pagosa Branch. The drawing says the cupola was removed in 1936.
      I have two pictures of # 212 with the handrails in 1949 and the pictorial
      shows it in 1950 with a nice new paint job and no hand rails.

      Tony
    • Rick C Shoup
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 3, 1999
        I wonder if the cupola weakened the structure of the combine, or did it
        make it so ugly even Hawaiian modelers would nt be able to stand looking
        at it?
        Regards.......... Rick Shoup

        On Fri, 2 Apr 1999 18:30:32 EST TonyK375@... writes:
        >From: TonyK375@...
        >
        >The Maxwell drawing shows the cupola and handrails being added in 1928
        >for
        >use on the Pagosa Branch. The drawing says the cupola was removed in
        >1936.
        >I have two pictures of # 212 with the handrails in 1949 and the
        >pictorial
        >shows it in 1950 with a nice new paint job and no hand rails.
        >
        >Tony

        >Ta Da! Come see our new web site!
        >http://www.onelist.com
        >Onelist: A free email community service
        >HOn3 web page is:
        >http://www.railway-eng.com/hon3/

        or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]
      • Rick Steele
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 3, 1999
          Rick C Shoup wrote:

          > I wonder if the cupola weakened the structure of the combine, or did it
          > make it so ugly even Hawaiian modelers would nt be able to stand looking
          > at it?

          No, actually, it was quite well done, according to the existing photos, kind
          of the ultimate freight/passenger car. Now if you want to talk ugly, move a
          little further west to a line between Durango and Ridgway and some of their
          rolling stock......

          Isn't it interesting that after a few years a cobbled together machine loses
          its "Ugly" status and becomes "charming"?

          Rick Steele
        • boone@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 3, 1999
            >From: Rick Steele <ricksteele-cheyenne@...>
            >Rick C Shoup wrote:
            >
            >> I wonder if the cupola weakened the structure of the combine, or did it
            >> make it so ugly even Hawaiian modelers would nt be able to stand looking
            >> at it?

            Aw, Rick....now I am starting to feel REALLY discriminated against!!! Some
            of the artless garp I see in photos of Colorado lines should be up for the
            Most Ugly prize too!!!! At least my caboose has not been offered as a
            multitude of kits or ready to run in all known scales and is seen on EVERY
            darn layout around...

            Ugly it may be to your eyes, but it is appropriately "unique" to mine....

            >Isn't it interesting that after a few years a cobbled together machine loses
            >its "Ugly" status and becomes "charming"?

            >Rick Steele

            Yea, I know a few ladies like that too...:-)) (Chauvinist comment of the week)

            Aloha, Boone
          • Chris C Short
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 3, 1999
              > Now if you want to talk ugly,
              >move a
              >little further west to a line between Durango and Ridgway and some of
              >their
              >rolling stock......

              What was ugly on the RGS?

              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 3, 1999
                Chris C Short wrote:

                > What was ugly on the RGS?

                Other than their second hand locomotives
                Deplorable looking Passenger equipment,
                Second hand, hastily repaired freight equiment (until Victor Miller added
                some class)
                Cobbled together motor cars
                Trackwork held together with 2 x 4's and bubble gum,
                Ramshackle Engine facilities and buildings......

                Nothing much

                Rick Steele
              • Chris C Short
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 3, 1999
                  >Other than their second hand locomotives
                  >Deplorable looking Passenger equipment,
                  >Second hand, hastily repaired freight equiment (until Victor Miller
                  >added
                  >some class)
                  >Cobbled together motor cars
                  >Trackwork held together with 2 x 4's and bubble gum,
                  >Ramshackle Engine facilities and buildings......

                  That's what RGS modelers like about it.

                  or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]
                • Trains4MS@xxx.xxx
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 3, 1999
                    In a message dated 4/3/99 2:03:28 PM Pacific Standard Time, srr100@...
                    writes:

                    << What was ugly on the RGS? >>

                    Ya, What was ???????? (Big big big grin)
                    Mike Schwab
                  • Rick C Shoup
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 3, 1999
                      Ho Ho. Indeed. Charlie Getz's article in the Gaz on the Ridgway yard is
                      quite informative.
                      Regards.......... Rick Shoup

                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 3, 1999
                        Boone, your technical discussion of the roof and your method of vacuum
                        forming it needs to be developed into a real good sidebar article. You
                        glossed over the steps to do the forming. I hope Mr. Brown can find room
                        for a good "How to" article on your forming machine.
                        Regards.......... Rick Shoup

                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 4, 1999
                          Chris C Short wrote:

                          > That's what RGS modelers like about it.