Wiring a Diamond Scale Turntable

  • Dave Steensland
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2005
      I just posted a few photos in the photo section showing how I wired
      my Diamond Scale 75 ft turntable. First I made a cam to fit the
      shaft of the turntable and attached a microswitch to the turntable
      base. The switch lever rides on the cam. The microswitch actuates a
      double pole double throw relay which is used to reverse track
      polarity as the turntable goes past 90 and 270 degree. I guess you
      could use an electronic reverser if you have a dcc system to
      accomplish the same thing but this is simple and foolproof.

      I made some wipers out of spring brass that ride on the turntable
      shaft for power to one of the track rails. I drilled and tapped on
      the top side of the shaft for a solder lug that brings power to that
      rail. I added a small connector so the bridge could be easily
      removed.

      The other rail is powered through the ring rail. There is a brass
      wiper rubbing on the ring rail at each end of the bridge. These are
      connected to the other rail. Having two wipers gives redundancy.

      I use the Diamond Scale power unit and control it through a simple
      variable power supply. I align the turntable by eye.

      This has been in operation for three years now and I have never had
      an engine lose power on the turntable. As you can see in the photos,
      scenery is not complete in this area but the turntable works great.

      Dave Steensland
      Tulsa Oklahoma