Re: [HOn3] Sound Decoders

  • bnd9775@aol.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 1, 2005
      Good tips. Thanks Brett. Does anyone understand why the decoders are so
      "dirty"track sensitive? Is it related to track power being AC? If I follow you
      correctly, there are pure motor decoders out there that are not so sensitive.

      Bob

    • Don Bergman
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 3, 2005
        Folks,

        Thanks to all who responded to my query about Sound decoders. Looks like the consensus is to wait and not get the older sound decoders.

        Lentz is said to be coming out with a decoder with a Capacitor that will enable it to go over dirty track.

        Anybody have any idea how this will impact sound? Will the sound also be able to continue? Or will this just be too big for us to dream about?

        Don Bergman

      • train3guy
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 3, 2005
          Don,

          I think the Lenz decoder may be too big for HOn3. As I understand it,
          the decoder operates off the electromagnetic field that exists around the
          track. I do not understand this completely, so am just passing along what I
          have been told. Small sound decoders, that will fit into HOn3 locos, are
          available now from CT Elektroniks and LokSound. Digitrax is working on one
          they say will be available by later next year and Soundtraxx is, I think,
          thinking about some smaller sound decoders. I think it may just be a matter
          of time until someone puts the technology of sound together with the
          technology of the Lenz Gold decoders. That would be a very nice blend of
          features. Hope this is of help!
          Duncan
        • Brett Payne
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 3, 2005
            The issue with dirty track sensitivity seems to be a mix of poor motor
            decoder design and weight of the model. I have friends using this model
            docoder in Proto 2000 and similar diesel models with no problems - even
            the motor hum from it not being a silent decoder is not an issue.

            Likewise after running my C-16 twice around the mainline I can send out
            the Goose and is runs quite well (motor hum excepted). My theory is
            that the heavier C-16 with better motor decoder (TCS-M1) is cracking the
            oxide layer on the rails.

            TCS and Lenz both seem to make motor only decoders that are extremely
            tolerant to a bit of dirty track. I have not tried any other brands of
            motor decoder yet. The CT motor & sound decoder also works fine, so I
            put the problems down to the age of the Soundtraxx design.

            Regards
            Brett

            bnd9775@... wrote:

            >Good tips. Thanks Brett. Does anyone understand why the decoders are so
            >"dirty"track sensitive? Is it related to track power being AC? If I follow you
            >correctly, there are pure motor decoders out there that are not so sensitive.
            >
            >Bob

          • Brett Payne
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 3, 2005
              Don,
              I don't think you need to wait for decoders with big capacitors. The
              TCS and CT decoders I have tried work just fine. I have some NCE
              decoders to install that friends tell me are also fine. Occasionally a
              manufacturer has produced a poor performing decoder but that seems to be
              relegated more to history.

              I think the Lenz decoders with capacitors are intended for larger scales
              and in particular where dirty track is a problem - for example, for
              outdoor running.

              Regards
              Brett

            • RoundBell@aol.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 12, 2005
                In a message dated 9/28/2005 5:15:29 PM Central Standard Time,
                train3guy@... writes:
                You are sort of correct. The Tsunami is too large to fit in just about
                any HOn3 loco other than K's. It will fit in an HOn3 K-27,

                I saw the sample Tsunami unit at Dearborne and quite a bit of the
                size was the satadard 9 pin flat plug connector on one end of the board. If
                you cut off this connector and shortened the board to the connector solder
                points then soldered the nine wires directly to the board it would be much
                smaller and would fit in some smaller locos. LocoDoc