MDC HOn3 Loco

  • MSS
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 5, 2005
      I have been reading the recent posts about a MDC HOn3
      loco. Could I have more information on what type of
      engine that is, the cost and availability? I just
      purchased a piece of HO/HOn3 flex trackand it appears
      to be code 70. Can HO run on code 70? I also purchased
      dual guage turnouts and crossings to play with. If I
      were to model an East Coast HOn3 warf scene, any
      recommendations on the loco power to use and the
      rolling stock? Are there any prototypes worth
      researching?
      Again, my thanks in advance for your assistance?

      Marc Saval

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Ed McCamey
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 5, 2005
        --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, MSS <msaval@y...> wrote:
        > I have been reading the recent posts about a MDC HOn3
        > loco. Could I have more information on what type of
        > engine that is, the cost and availability? I just
        > purchased a piece of HO/HOn3 flex trackand it appears
        > to be code 70. Can HO run on code 70? I also purchased
        > dual guage turnouts and crossings to play with. If I
        > were to model an East Coast HOn3 warf scene, any
        > recommendations on the loco power to use and the
        > rolling stock? Are there any prototypes worth
        > researching?
        > Again, my thanks in advance for your assistance?
        >
        > Marc Saval

        Marc,

        The HOn3 MDC 2-8-0 models are two different (inside frame and outside
        frame) condolidations that are generic representations. Some photos
        and construction information can be seen at:

        http://www.railwayeng.com/hon3/suydam.htm

        The engines are not apparently in current production (Horrizon Hobbies
        has purched out MDC and has not yet re-started production of many of
        the MDC offerings) - but lot's still exist on hobby shop shelves and
        are often offered on e-bay.

        You asked "Can HO work on code 70 rail?". Well HO can work on code 40
        rail as well as codes 55, 60, 70, 75, 81, 83 etc. if you have the the
        'better' wheels with the finer flange profiles. HOn3 will typically
        use the RP-25 code 88 wheels (finer than standard code 110 wheels) and
        lot's of HOn3 layouts are operated with code 55 and some code40 rails.
        The smaller rails are most often handlaid using PC Board soldered
        construction that has no spikes to interfere with wheel flanges.

        The Railway Enginering site link above has lot's of interesting
        trackwork information and includes some superior old time code 40
        rails for Sn3 construction articles.

        Welcome aboard.

        -ed mccamey-
        AKA: emccamey@...
      • johnnyg@boone.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 5, 2005
          The Surrey, Sussex, and Southhampton ( I know the spelling is off,or is it) ran to a wharf on the James River. Out onto it, If I remember correctly. Couple of books done on it.

          If I
          > were to model an East Coast HOn3 warf scene, any
          > recommendations on the loco power to use and the
          > rolling stock? Are there any prototypes worth
          > researching?
          > Marc Saval
        • hoghead32
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 5, 2005
            --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, johnnyg@b... wrote:
            > The Surrey, Sussex, and Southhampton ( I know the spelling is off,or
            is it) ran to a wharf on the James River. Out onto it, If I remember
            correctly. Couple of books done on it.

            Just up the James River from the above location is Claremont Wharf
            reached from Emporia, Va. on the Atlantic & Danville. An earlier
            history of the A&D is now or soon to be back in print.

            The A&D used several 4-6-0's similar to the D&RG T12 class, which is
            readily available in brass.
          • HOn3MRR@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 5, 2005
              In a message dated 8/5/2005 6:56:42 AM Central Daylight Time,
              msaval@... writes:

              If I
              were to model an East Coast HOn3 warf scene, any
              recommendations on the loco power to use and the
              rolling stock? Are there any prototypes worth
              researching?

              Hi Marc.......

              Several "Down East" in Maine come to mind even though they weren't 3' NG
              they still ran to the tidewater. Some in Virginia as mentioned also. Revere
              Beach up in Mass had operations out of Boston, Cape Cod and Martha's Vineyard.
              Long Island probably had some! Also something that you may be overlooking
              is the little roads that ran to inland Lakes and shuttled tourists to the
              woods for the summer! Any wheel arrangement would be appropriate,
              0-4-0Ts......0-4-2T, 0-6-0T, 2-6-0, 2-8-0 and of course 4-4-0s.

              AND IF ya can't find a prototype, try to freelance something that would have
              been plausible for the TOC time frame!

              Bill Martin
              Live Oak, Texas
              HOn3 Presque Isle Northern RR