Re: [HOn3] Re: Lake Michigan Narrow Gauge and Railroad Museum Circumnavigation Tour

  • Don Bergman
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2005

      > Two of the attractions on the Lake Michigan tour would be the Shay
      > house in Harbor Springs,

      Dan and Don

      I found Harbor Springs on the map. How long would it take to drive
      from Dearborn. Sounds like a place of interest and I need the
      practice diving on the wrong side of the road.

      Mario ( Australia )

      Mario,

      Yahoo puts it at about 4 1/2 hours. (But having just returned from visiting son in Toledo 2% of the cars on the road obey the 70 mph speed limit! :-(I cannot remember the times I was just about rear-ended passing a truck at 73 mph by some "yahoo" going 90, so it is probably a little less (apologies to Yahoo.com)) But give your self 2 hours at Hartwick Pines State Park. It is just a few minutes off I-75 just north of Grayling. Add 1 1/2 hours (adds 50 extra miles non expressway) if you swing west to see the shay at Cadillac.

      Don Bergman

    • dankempf4010
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 2, 2005
        Mario:
        I would allow 4 hours in Harbor Springs to tour the house and follow
        some of the grade up the hill out of town. It is about 1 to 1-1/2
        hours from Petoskey to the Hartwick Pines (take US-31 north to M-68
        and follow M-68 east to I-75. Take I-75 south to the Hartwick Pines
        exit. You should plan on 2 to 4 hours to tour the Museum. If you would
        like to stop in Cadillac to see the Shay, follow I-75 south to M-72,
        follow M-72 west to US-131, turn left (south) on US-131 to Cadillac.
        The shay is in a city park by the lake. Cadillac is about 1 to 1-1/2
        hours from Hartwick Pines. There are motels Grayling and Cadillac.
        From Cadillac to the Convention hotel is about 3 to 4 hours. See you
        at the Convention

        Dan Kempf