Re: was Dating the MDC HOn3 Shay's / silent Shays

  • Steffen
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2005
      Bill,

      the only silent Shays I ever seen were built either by Nkamura (HOn3)
      and Boo Rim (Sn3). The grears of the PSC in HOn3 were cast together
      with the shaft from nickel silver and not milled, also they are ro
      real bevel gears so they must be loud due to the tolerances. I
      removed the gears on mine with self made bevel gears and but in a
      Faulhaber with fylwheel. Now it is silent and you cout put sound in
      it.

    • HOn3MRR@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2005
        In a message dated 7/1/2005 3:25:56 AM Central Daylight Time,
        hobosteve@... writes:

        The grears of the PSC in HOn3 were cast together
        with the shaft from nickel silver and not milled, also they are ro
        real bevel gears so they must be loud due to the tolerances. I
        removed the gears on mine with self made bevel gears and but in a
        Faulhaber with fylwheel. Now it is silent and you cout put sound in
        it.

        Great.......... thanks for the explaination Steve.

        By now I have just learned to live with it! Great information though for
        future purchases or modifications. Where did you find bevel gearsets for all
        those wheels and that small?