Re: [HOn3] Knott's railroad shops

  • Darryl Huffman
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2004
      Ron,

      I don't know any of the guys doing this personally. But, I can share an
      experience.

      I have been to Knotts 6 or 7 times every year for over 40 years.

      Knott's Berry Farm used to be a whole different type of experience. Not the
      exciting ride theme park it is today. In fact one of the big attractions
      for me in the late 40s early 50s was a scale model of the ghost town. I
      really think that is what got me interested in building model structures. I
      wish I could find photos of it to see if it was as well done as I remember.

      Back when they first got the K-27, I think it was 1973, I decided to follow
      the tracks over to the enginehouse. This was the old engine house over
      where the water rapids ride is today.

      The K-27 was completely torn apart. Drivers dropped into the pit. Smoke
      box open for rebuilding the flues, The whole works.

      The workers were perfectly content to let me crawl all over the engine and
      take all the photos I wanted to take.

      They just didn't understand why I would want to do that. They looked at
      that locomotive with the same enthusiam I would show if I were a mechanic
      working on a garbage truck. It was simply a job. And not a really fun job
      at that.

      They really thought it was funny that this 30 year old man was really
      interested in that old locomotive.

      I am sure there was someone somewhere who was really into fixing up and
      restoring the engine, but that person was certainly not one of the dozen
      people working on it while I was there.

      The main thing I learned was that taking photos of a black engine in a dark
      engine house using an Instamatic camera produces lousy photos. I gave them
      to a K-27 nut years ago.

      Of course today, with the renewed interest in all things historic, it might
      be different.

      And, of course, I would love to be able to go back to that time with my
      digital camera and reshoot all the photos. But at least I still have the
      vivid memories.

      Darryl Huffman
      Anchorage, Alaska

      Check out my web page at www.darrylhuffman.50megs.com/photo5.html for photos
      of some of my modelbuilding projects.
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2004
        Ron,

        Here is a good link to Knotts railroad:

        http://www.bjwrr.com/ontrack/knotts.htm

        Darryl Huffman
        Anchorage, Alaska

        Check out my web page at www.darrylhuffman.50megs.com/photo5.html for photos
        of some of my modelbuilding projects.
        > Does any one know anything about any of the shop crew at knott's?,
        > The guys that work back there seem to be doing some great
        > restorations and was just wondering if any body knows where they came
        > from! Not talking about the guys that run them, I mean the guys that
        > work in the shops!
      • Ron
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 2004
          --- Thanks Darryl, but was kind of more interested in now, not 30
          years ago.
          Ron