Steam engine quality [Virus checked] ['securiQ.Watchdog': checked]

  • mick_moignard@unipart.co.uk
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2004
      No question that in terms of appearance and detail the PSC K36 and 37 are
      the best. I have one 36 (2002 run) and two 37s (1997 run). I also have
      one Westside, one Overland, one Sunset and one PSC 1984 run 36 - that last
      one is the rerun of the Westside model. The Overland is the same
      manufacturer (MSM) as the 2002 PSC model.

      The PSC 36 is the best runner, once the usual twiddles are done. In both
      Westsides I've ditched the coreless motor in favour of a Mashima, and they
      run much better because of it. The other all have Mashima as standard -
      certainly the PSC 2002 and Overland do. I think also that the
      PSC/Overland/Sunset are better prototypically; when you sit the PSC and a
      Westside together, the Westside looks bigger, taller in the boiler and a
      squatter stack. I think Peter T is also right about the boiler taper. If
      you have the chcoice, go for a new PSC, second choice Overland. The Sunset
      one runs OK, but in terms of detail is not good, and has real bad
      steamroller wheels on the tender and loco trucks, but at least the rear
      loco truck wheels are the correct size.

      K37s - As well as the two PSC I also have a Fuji, redetailed as 494. The
      PSC ones are properly detailed as per the prototype - my 490 and 499 are
      quite different, and Mark Kasprowicz's 492 even has a completely different
      tender shell with different rivet pattern. The Fuji pulls more, but that's
      because it's a bit heavier. It didn't really represent any of the 37s
      well, but was closest to 494. All have Mashima motors. And the PSC 37 runs
      real well out of the box. Worth dismantling the tender trucks and getting
      the glue out of the springs, and reassembling with new springs.

      Mick Moignard
      This e-mail has been sent in confidence to the named
      addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient you
      must not disclose or distribute it in any form, and you are
      asked to contact the sender immediately
    • Steffen
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2004
        Mick wrote "I've ditched the coreless motor in favour of a Mashima,
        and they run much better because of it"

        Mick,

        no wonder, those old high speed Nakamiki corless motor were the fist
        attempt of the Japanese to copy the Faulhaber patent (as they have
        done before with Rollei Cameras, Uher stereo equipment a.s.o.)
        (The whole Japanse copy tradition statre din 1595 with an Portuses
        rifle which they copied app 15.000 times in 4 years, nice tradition)

        The Nakamikis were very poor in quality (screaming at top speed, no
        torque) and in Japan itself cheaper than a 5 pole Mashima. I removed
        all the Mashimas, Nakamikis from my engines and replaced them with
        7500 - 9000 rpm Faulhaber or Maxons with flywheel. My PSC/OMI K 36
        run much better than a stock PBL K 36 or even On3 scale engine.

        Even the old WSM K 27,28,36 amd 37 will perform better than a new one
        from DP.

        The mostly large flywheel (diameter must be larger that motor
        diameter or at least the lenght must be a 1/3 of the motor) improve
        performance a lot.

        I removed the Nakamiki corless motor from my high grade WSM C 16
        which was a jerky runner and built in a 15 volt Faulhaber 1319 +
        flywheel to reduce the top speed. The result is unbelievable, either
        crawling at 0.3 scale mph or speeding down the track at 35 scale mph
        those engine runs superb, silent and smooth. I offer this as kit too,
        but building in requires a lathe and some experience, so it is more
        sophistcated as the rest of my now 120 re-motroing drop in kits.

        Steffen
        www.stonercreek.de