Re: Looking for some HON3 stuff

  • Mark Kasprowicz
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 6, 2004
      Jim,
      No, I cannot say that my SV Mallet is noisy. I had one very noisy PFM
      at one point and never really sorted it before I sold it - it was a
      K-27. But this one doesn't fall into that category at all. It has the
      standard PFM gears I believe.

      Thank you for your kind thoughts on the DP DCC install. I have learnt
      much from this group and it is a pleasure to give something back.

      Mark Kasprowicz
    • rgsnut@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 6, 2004
        In a message dated 11/6/04 4:15:49 PM Eastern Standard Time, marowicz@...
        writes:

        > Jim,
        > No, I cannot say that my SV Mallet is noisy. I had one very noisy PFM
        > at one point and never really sorted it before I sold it - it was a
        > K-27. But this one doesn't fall into that category at all. It has the
        > standard PFM gears I believe.
        >
        > Thank you for your kind thoughts on the DP DCC install. I have learnt
        > much from this group and it is a pleasure to give something back.
        >
        > Mark Kasprowicz

        Mark
        If you're referring to the Rio Grande Northern 2-6-6-2, the idler gear is not
        original,
        the original was a fiber material and cracked, cause the mechanism to bind
        up,
        draw too much current, fry the decoder, etc., I replaced it with a matching
        gear
        from NWSL and a new can motor.
        Steve Zonay

      • Mark Kasprowicz
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 6, 2004
          Steve,

          Thank you for letting me know. I must say you did a good job on it!
          Mark Kasprowicz
        • rgsnut@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 7, 2004
            In a message dated 11/7/04 2:33:32 AM Eastern Standard Time, marowicz@...
            writes:

            > Steve,
            >
            > Thank you for letting me know. I must say you did a good job on it!
            > Mark Kasprowicz

            Mark
            I'm glad you're enjoying the loco - I always enjoyed running it, especially
            on the curvey trackage of my Ophir Loop area and across the high bridge. I was
            unable to get it to run as quietly as I wanted, though. Too many gears, I
            guess.
            Steve

          • Mark Kasprowicz
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 7, 2004
              Steve
              I don't think it's just the gears. Unlike lead, brass is quite an
              active metal when it comes to sound. Bang a sheet of each and hear the
              difference. The boiler weight, though made of lead, doesn't come into
              full contact with the boiler brass very well so what is left is a
              brass, sonically active tube, about five inches long. It's a good
              resonator for certain frequencies and a quite efficient amplifier. So
              in cases where noise is a factor I don't head for changing the gear, I
              try to deaden the sound but it is an imprecise science which doesn't
              always work but is worth a try. The SV runs quiet enough for me and on
              a par with other PFM locos. It is probably not as quiet as the PSC I'm
              sure but it's not a $1600 loco either.
              Best wishes
              Mark Kasprowicz