Re: Looking for some HON3 stuff

  • Steffen
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 6, 2004
      Jim,

      I was talking about a specific PSC 2-6-6-2 I tested a week ago at
      Caboose Hobbies not generic on all SC 2-6-6-2s !!!!!!

      Steffen

      --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, Jim Vail <akacoot@p...> wrote:
      > NOT SO!! The new PSC SV 2-6-6-2's are excellent runners right out
      of
      > the box.
      >
      > Jim Vail
      >
      > Steffen wrote:
      >
      > >Those PSC 2-6-6-2 is a very poor runner. Checked it out a week ago
      > >

      > >Steffen

    • Mark Kasprowicz
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 6, 2004
        Jim,
        No, I cannot say that my SV Mallet is noisy. I had one very noisy PFM
        at one point and never really sorted it before I sold it - it was a
        K-27. But this one doesn't fall into that category at all. It has the
        standard PFM gears I believe.

        Thank you for your kind thoughts on the DP DCC install. I have learnt
        much from this group and it is a pleasure to give something back.

        Mark Kasprowicz
      • rgsnut@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 6, 2004
          In a message dated 11/6/04 4:15:49 PM Eastern Standard Time, marowicz@...
          writes:

          > Jim,
          > No, I cannot say that my SV Mallet is noisy. I had one very noisy PFM
          > at one point and never really sorted it before I sold it - it was a
          > K-27. But this one doesn't fall into that category at all. It has the
          > standard PFM gears I believe.
          >
          > Thank you for your kind thoughts on the DP DCC install. I have learnt
          > much from this group and it is a pleasure to give something back.
          >
          > Mark Kasprowicz

          Mark
          If you're referring to the Rio Grande Northern 2-6-6-2, the idler gear is not
          original,
          the original was a fiber material and cracked, cause the mechanism to bind
          up,
          draw too much current, fry the decoder, etc., I replaced it with a matching
          gear
          from NWSL and a new can motor.
          Steve Zonay

        • Mark Kasprowicz
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 6, 2004
            Steve,

            Thank you for letting me know. I must say you did a good job on it!
            Mark Kasprowicz
          • rgsnut@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 7, 2004
              In a message dated 11/7/04 2:33:32 AM Eastern Standard Time, marowicz@...
              writes:

              > Steve,
              >
              > Thank you for letting me know. I must say you did a good job on it!
              > Mark Kasprowicz

              Mark
              I'm glad you're enjoying the loco - I always enjoyed running it, especially
              on the curvey trackage of my Ophir Loop area and across the high bridge. I was
              unable to get it to run as quietly as I wanted, though. Too many gears, I
              guess.
              Steve

            • Mark Kasprowicz
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 7, 2004
                Steve
                I don't think it's just the gears. Unlike lead, brass is quite an
                active metal when it comes to sound. Bang a sheet of each and hear the
                difference. The boiler weight, though made of lead, doesn't come into
                full contact with the boiler brass very well so what is left is a
                brass, sonically active tube, about five inches long. It's a good
                resonator for certain frequencies and a quite efficient amplifier. So
                in cases where noise is a factor I don't head for changing the gear, I
                try to deaden the sound but it is an imprecise science which doesn't
                always work but is worth a try. The SV runs quiet enough for me and on
                a par with other PFM locos. It is probably not as quiet as the PSC I'm
                sure but it's not a $1600 loco either.
                Best wishes
                Mark Kasprowicz