Alaskan RR Hauled Fish

  • Jay Cohen
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
      A few months ago someone brought up an Alaskan Railroad that hauled
      fish. It was a standard gauge rr, I think in Southeast Alaska that
      was built to carry fish. Does anyone remember the name or the
      website? thanks, Jay, Boyce, Virginia
    • Daniel Hogue
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
        I don't remember the website, but the railroad was the Yakutat &
        Southern. (I think I have the spelling correct!)
        Dan Hogue

        A few months ago someone brought up an Alaskan Railroad that hauled
        fish. It was a standard gauge rr, I think in Southeast Alaska that
        was built to carry fish. Does anyone remember the name or the
        website? thanks, Jay, Boyce, Virginia

        HOn3 list web pages are:
        http://www.railwayeng.com/hon3/

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129f1mvpn/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/
        D=groups/S=1706533813:HM/EXP=1099397352/A=2343726/R=0/SIG=12ii0dais/*htt
        p:/clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=109931095207
        1002>
        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129f1mvpn/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/
        D=groups/S=1706533813:HM/EXP=1099397352/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12ii0dais/*htt
        p:/clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=109931095207
        1002>
        Get unlimited calls to
        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129f1mvpn/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/
        D=groups/S=1706533813:HM/EXP=1099397352/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12ii0dais/*htt
        p:/clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=109931095207
        1002>
        U.S./Canada
        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129f1mvpn/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/
        D=groups/S=1706533813:HM/EXP=1099397352/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12ii0dais/*htt
        p:/clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=109931095207
        1002>

        <http://view.atdmt.com/VON/view/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1099
        310952071002>

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=group
        s/S=:HM/A=2343726/rand=166241100>

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • C.Mutschler
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
          Sounds like the Yakutat & Southern. I don't know about a web site, but
          there is some coverage in Clifford's _Rails North_. The line ran from
          a sawmill and salmon cannery south to the Situk river. Later there was
          a branch to the nearby Lost River airport and radio tower. The line
          suspended operations in the 1960's. The primary business was carrying
          fish to the cannery.

          Motive power included an 0-4-2T, a Lima 2-6-2, and at some point a two
          truck Heisler. Lastly, at couple of small Plymuth (?) gas or diesel
          mechanical locomotives. IIRC, the little 2-6-2 was still on the
          property in the remains of the engine house in Yakutat in the 1980's.

          Charlie Mutschler
          -30-
          On Nov 1, 2004, at 4:06 AM, Jay Cohen wrote:

          > A few months ago someone brought up an Alaskan Railroad that hauled
          > fish.

        • Philip Floyd
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
            Jay,
            Odds are that most all Alaskan railroads hauled fish at one time or another as all were tightly emeshed in riverboat dock and wharf facilities as well as ocean going facilities. I have seen, though I couldn't find just now, pictures of covered wooden gondolas used to transport fish from port to cannery. A couple of other Alaskan railroads besides the White Pass andYukon, an obvious first choice, would be...the Nome Arctic R.R....the Council City and Saloman River R.R...and the Wild Goose R.R.
            Hope this helps the discussion along.
            Regards,
            Phil...It's the trains....

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
              Jay,
              Another Alskan R.R. which Ileft out of my initial reply and definitely hauled fish is the Yakutat and Southern. Use the following address to get to their site... http://www.genext.net/~rexsadie/trainsite.html .This may bethe one you are referring to.
              Regards.
              Phil...It's the trains...

              Jay Cohen <jkcohen@...> wrote:

              A few months ago someone brought up an Alaskan Railroad that hauled
              fish. It was a standard gauge rr, I think in Southeast Alaska that
              was built to carry fish. Does anyone remember the name or the
              website? thanks, Jay, Boyce, Virginia

            • Darryl Huffman
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
                Jay,

                Here is a link to virtually everything known about this operation.

                http://www.yakutat-southern.com/

                Fourth item down on this link is an audio comment about earning cash around
                Yakutat, including the train.

                http://uaf-db.uaf.edu/jukebox/WRST/71301.html

                I haven't listened to it.

                Darryl Huffman
                Anchorage, Alaska

                Check out my web page at www.darrylhuffman.50megs.com/photo5.html for photos
                of some of my modelbuilding projects.
              • Martin Fischer
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
                  Jay,

                  On Monday 01 November 2004 13:06, Jay Cohen wrote:
                  > A few months ago someone brought up an Alaskan Railroad that hauled
                  > fish.

                  try http://www.yakutat-southern.com/

                  Regards
                  Martin
                • Jay Cohen
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
                    Thanks for all of the help. I found it and now am wondering if
                    anyone ever did a book on this railroad. Some of the time I dismiss
                    railroads if they are not narrow gauge, which I now know is wrong.
                    Many standard gauge shortlines were definitely very cool railroads
                    with loads of character and personality.