Re: [HOn3] modeling canvas?

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2004
      Jon Wimmer wrote:

      >Does anyone know of a material that can be used to represent canvas,
      >as in a tent, or a cover on a flatcar? I'm looking for something
      >that would hopefully show the folds and material sag between
      >anchoring points.
      >Thanks
      >Jon Wimmer
      >Ekalaka MT

      I have used the lining material used inside dress coats and jackets -
      then painted it with Floquil. Don't know what its called at the yardage
      shop. Works pretty well and looks realistic covering flat car loads.

      Jim Vail
    • Darryl Huffman
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2004
        Jon,
        One of the best ways to do this is to spread a thin coat of liquid latex
        (like for making rock molds) onto wax paper. After it dries, cut it into
        the size you need and give it a light coat of acrylic paint. This will
        droop the best of anything I have ever used.

        If you tape thread down before you spread the latex, it can even be used to
        tie the "canvas" down. Carefully.

        Darryl Huffman
        Anchorage, Alaska

        Check out my web page at www.darrylhuffman.50megs.com/photo5.html for photos
        of models of old buildings placed in a realistic setting.