Re: [HOn3] modeling canvas?

  • boone
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2004
      >Does anyone know of a material that can be used to represent canvas,
      >as in a tent, or a cover on a flatcar? I'm looking for something
      >that would hopefully show the folds and material sag between
      >anchoring points.
      >Thanks
      >Jon Wimmer
      >Ekalaka MT

      Jon:

      This has come up several times before. Try using "silkspan", a
      material used by model aircraft folks to depict the fabric covering
      of early aircraft wings. Is strong when damp (unlike tissue), but is
      thin and flexible, just like tissue. There are several thicknesses
      and I use the thinnest. Dampen and drape, then drip thinned white
      glue and allow to dry...looks great. Some have "dyed" it in strong
      tea or coffee (black, no cream) for a "dirty" look, or you can paint
      when dry. Looks great.

      Aloha, Boone

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2004
        Jon Wimmer wrote:

        >Does anyone know of a material that can be used to represent canvas,
        >as in a tent, or a cover on a flatcar? I'm looking for something
        >that would hopefully show the folds and material sag between
        >anchoring points.
        >Thanks
        >Jon Wimmer
        >Ekalaka MT

        I have used the lining material used inside dress coats and jackets -
        then painted it with Floquil. Don't know what its called at the yardage
        shop. Works pretty well and looks realistic covering flat car loads.

        Jim Vail
      • Darryl Huffman
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2, 2004
          Jon,
          One of the best ways to do this is to spread a thin coat of liquid latex
          (like for making rock molds) onto wax paper. After it dries, cut it into
          the size you need and give it a light coat of acrylic paint. This will
          droop the best of anything I have ever used.

          If you tape thread down before you spread the latex, it can even be used to
          tie the "canvas" down. Carefully.

          Darryl Huffman
          Anchorage, Alaska

          Check out my web page at www.darrylhuffman.50megs.com/photo5.html for photos
          of models of old buildings placed in a realistic setting.