Re: [HOn3] Diesel prototypes?

  • MJ
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 29, 2004

      http://www.whitepassfan.net/whitepass/home/html/print.php?sid=3

      > 2. Are there any models available in HOn3?

      yes, but I don't have any details.

      282mike
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 1, 2004
        >All,
        >
        >There were a couple of diesels on the DRGW in later years, the Davenport #50
        >and the two US Army locos.
        >
        >1. What other diesels ran on 3' lines
        >2. Are there any models available in HOn3?

        PSC made those WP&Y "shovel nose" diesels - factory painted. Boy are
        the ugly! I may know of a couple for sale (they may already be sold) -
        contact me off list if you want me to check it out.

        Jim Vail
      • petergtuttle@aol.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 1, 2004
          PSC (as I recall) also made some six-axle road switcher WP&Y diesels- there
          were in fact quite handsome models of Alco/Montreal prototypes. I think. LGB
          produces a not necessarily exact scale model of these engines in G scale. I
          think the WP&Y had an enginehouse fire some time ago now that destroyed more
          of the Alcos than the GEs.

          Peter Tuttle
        • BHI-Rail Systems
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 1, 2004
            Pete,

            There were a few produced for private owners such as mining/specialty
            operations but I will only hit the major ones in the US. None are currently
            in production in HOn3 that I have seen though some are out on the used brass
            market from time to time.

            -Oahu had two 47ton locos that are now in the US, 1 is on the Georgetown
            Loop and the other is on the Cumbres & Toltec (They will be in an upcoming
            Quick Pic Book)

            -SPng #1 a.k.a. the Little Giant ( I would love to do a book on this unit
            which I understand is still in Mexico if anyone can shoot the photos for it)

            -White Pass & Yukon had two distinctive series of Diesels, one was produced
            by GE as a cab unit and the other by Alco as a hood unit (this type was also
            exported to many other countries also I understand) upcoming QPB

            Also one of the US Army diesels that ran on the DRGW went to the White Pass
            later, I believe it was #3000N

            -East Broad Top has a few (under 10) and to my knowledge none were produced
            for any length of time

            Hope this helps fill in some blanks

            regards,

            Tim Mulina
            BHI/Rail Systems

            http://quickpicbooks.homestead.com

            There were a couple of diesels on the DRGW in later years, the Davenport #50
            and the two US Army locos.

            1. What other diesels ran on 3' lines
            2. Are there any models available in HOn3?

            Pete

            HOn3 list web pages are:
            http://www.railwayeng.com/hon3/

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Robert Bell
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 1, 2004
              At 03:47 AM 3/1/04, you wrote:
              >PSC made those WP&Y "shovel nose" diesels - factory painted. Boy are
              >the ugly! I may know of a couple for sale (they may already be sold) -
              >contact me off list if you want me to check it out.

              They're not ugly, they're unique!! (Kinda like a BL-2: you either love 'em
              or hate 'em.) They were GE units with Alco 251 prime movers, built in 1954,
              1956, 1963 &1966. Psc did make 'em in the yellow/gree, blue/white and
              unpainted.

              Don't forget the White Pass Alco DL-535E's of the lat 60's and early 70's
              or the wide cad versions built by Bombardier in the early 80's. Psc has
              made these also, as RTR and kit.

              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 1, 2004
                Tim, are you going to do the new diesels on the D&S?

                Someone on the (espee) list can most likely supply you with photos of SP #1.

                eric

              • BHI-Rail Systems
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 1, 2004
                  Eric,

                  As for the 2 New Diesels on the D&S...Probably. If I remember correctly they
                  are the ones the EBT just sold the D&S recently. The D&S is on the schedule
                  to be shot this Spring-Fall so we can finish out the DRGW varnish that is
                  still on the property, the 6500 flats, K-28 locos, and the inside of the
                  museum that we have not yet shot for books.

                  As for SP#1 photos, I do not know if anyone will have the level of detail
                  that I try to put in the books which is why I am thinking it will likely
                  have to be someone shooting it in Mexico now. I have heard rumblings that it
                  is in Baja somewhere but I had not thought of asking on the espee list.
                  Thanks for the thought, I will pursue it there.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 1, 2004
                    On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 18:16:18 -0600, BHI-Rail Systems wrote:

                    >As for SP#1 photos, I do not know if anyone will have the level of detail
                    >that I try to put in the books which is why I am thinking it will likely
                    >have to be someone shooting it in Mexico now. I have heard rumblings that it
                    >is in Baja somewhere but I had not thought of asking on the espee list.

                    you might have better luck finding out by asking on the sp narrow guage list.

                    -spng-@yahoogroups.com

                    ap

                    sent by andy peerand using recyled protons

                    ... Answers: $1, Short: $5, Correct: $25, dumb looks are still free.
                  • MJ
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 1, 2004
                      The enginehouse fire was in 1969, to the best of my knowledge none of the
                      deisels were destroyed. You can learn all you need to know about the WP&YR
                      diesels at:

                      http://www.whitepassfan.net/whitepass/home/html/print.php?sid=3

                      Visit the WP&YR Fan web page For more information:

                      http://www.whitepassfan.net/

                      If you have further questions join the whitepassfanlist at yahoo amd post your
                      questions to the list

                      Subscribe: whitepassfanlist-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                      Post message: whitepassfanlist@yahoogroups.com

                      > PSC (as I recall) also made some six-axle road switcher WP&Y diesels- there
                      > I think the WP&Y had an enginehouse fire some time ago now that destroyed more
                      > of the Alcos than the GEs.
                      >
                      > Peter Tuttle
                    • BHI-Rail Systems
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 1, 2004
                        ap

                        thanks, will do.

                        tm

                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 1, 2004
                          I found a picture on the Internet of SP #1. It says it has been standard gauged.

                          Bruce

                          http://narrowmind.railfan.net/NG_Diesels/GE_50T_SP1-CMC.JPG

                        • bdunlevy@comcast.net
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 1, 2004
                            Another site you might want to look at is:

                            http://narrowmind.railfan.net/

                            It has information on both steam and diesel narrow gauge.

                            Bruce

                          • BHI-Rail Systems
                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 1, 2004
                              Bruce,

                              Thanks for both links

                              Tim

                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 2, 2004
                                Hello
                                I have a drawing of a general Electric 50 ton narrow gauge loco class DF-700
                                It looks the same as the photo mentioned. NWSL sold a unit in HOn3 some years
                                ago but spares are still available.
                                Dave UK

                              • Robert Ripperger
                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 2, 2004
                                  Everyone,

                                  There was some discussion of odd Goose-like prototype some time ago. I've just posted two pictures on my website that I took in Ecuador of a Goose-like vehicle known as an "autoferro." Stop by and take a look-

                                  Rob

                                  http://midlandpacific.typepad.com/

                                • Rick Blanchard
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Mar 2, 2004
                                    Rob,

                                    I went to the 'Ecuadorian" page and there are only two photos of the mogul
                                    there.

                                    Rick

                                    --
                                    Rick Blanchard
                                    rick@...
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Mar 2, 2004
                                      There is a White Pass DL-535 diesel on ebay at this time.

                                      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem
                                      <http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3178921215&category=484>
                                      &item=3178921215&category=484

                                      This is by Precision Scale.