RE: [HOn3] Which Kadee coupler for MDC Shay?

  • brian bass
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2004
      David Hoffman
      8682 US Hwy 61 North
      Woodville, MS 39669-3502

      sells several brass castings that go with the MDC shay. One being new end
      beams that hold HOn3 couplers. There are several other things, but I cant
      remember off hand what he has.
      Brian

      >Any recomendations for a Kadee coupler for the MDC Shay? The 714 do
      >not appear to fit.
      >
      >Thanks,
      >Roger

      Scope out the new MSN Plus Internet Software � optimizes dial-up to the max!
    • Mike Chaney
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2004
        Brian wrote:-

        > David Hoffman
        > 8682 US Hwy 61 North
        > Woodville, MS 39669-3502
        >
        > sells several brass castings that go with the MDC shay. One being new end
        > beams that hold HOn3 couplers. There are several other things, but I can't
        > remember off hand what he has.
        > Brian

        I don't have an MDC Shay, but I do have "The MDC Shay Handbook" by Jeff
        Johnston - OSO Publishing 1997, ISBN 0-9647521-1-5. He recommends the Hoffman
        end beams (part #SH-EB-1), which require some cutting, trimming, drilling and
        tapping of the MDC frame - but no soldering - as they add extra adhesive weight.
        The alternative, he suggests, is to cut off the coupler pocket screw mounting
        post and drill out #55 for the Kadee self tapping screw or #56 and tap 0-80 for
        a machine screw.

        Fit the coupler with a 0.05" styrene spacer to bring it to the correct height
        and fill the gap 'twixt coupler and frame with a shim of styrene. Finally, trim
        off the back of the #714 to prevent it fouling the truck as it swings.

        It looks good in the photos.

        Mike Chaney