Re: [HOn3] Uranium on the RGS was Re: Working on the RR

  • Mike Lehman
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 1, 2003
      Carl,
      Good luck with the effort to preserve some of the less galmorous aspects
      of Colorado history. They are just as essential to our understanding of
      the big picture as the sexy stuff. Maybe some summer when I'm out that
      way we can get together, chat about how things are going and swap stories.
      Mike Lehman
      Urbana, IL

      carl barna wrote:

      SNIP
      > My historic context will be used to help us develop a preservation plan for the few remaining structures out there. We might even pursue a Historic District or Multiple Property nomination to the National Register.
      >
      > The actual mining and milling of the ores is a topic that has seen very little publication. Most of the writings have been on the political and economic developments of the industry and the AEC. So there's a good dissertation topic for ya! Oral history would be good for this except that most of the miners are dead from the combo effects of being macho by smoking cigarettes and scorning respirators. I've talked to a lot of the widows. Of course the gov't also downplayed the radon risks in the interest of production.
      >
      > Ft. Lewis College may also have some RGS paper on this. I know they have quite an RGS photo collection that was assembled by a former doctor.
    • szczowicz
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 1, 2003
        Carl,
        You will find a little oral history, not much, on a video
        called 'Otto Perry's RGS'. It mixes Perry original footage with
        contemporary (at the time) interview. A couple of train crew talk
        about moving the ores up to Montrose and how the cars ran
        differently when they were filled with yellow cake. If memory serves
        correct it's a Sunday River film.(I think).
        Mark
      • carl barna
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
          Mark --

          Thanks for the lead.

          CB
          You will find a little oral history, not much, on a video
          called 'Otto Perry's RGS'. It mixes Perry original footage with
          contemporary (at the time) interview. A couple of train crew talk
          about moving the ores up to Montrose and how the cars ran
          differently when they were filled with yellow cake. If memory serves
          correct it's a Sunday River film.(I think).
          Mark

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          HOn3 list web pages are:
          http://www.railwayeng.com/hon3/

        • Mike
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 22, 2003
            FWIW I found a way around the logon problem I was experiencing consistantly
            with Yahoo, and proof that it's Yahoo's problem not my system. If I try to
            logon through Yahoo mail, I get stuck in an endless loop asking for password
            confirmation. If I go to Yahoo groups and logon from there, it works fine
            every time. Yahoo is not perfect regardless of what some people believe.
            Caveat Emptor

            mike
          • BHI-Rail Systems
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 23, 2003
              Mike and everyone else having issues with Yahoo logins,

              This is one issue that many have had in the past but it is not the only one.

              One thing that you need to check is that when you logon (or think you have)
              at the top it should say WELCOME (then your name). If it says WELCOME GUEST
              then you are not logged in and need to. There is a clickable text message
              which can be in a number of different places depending upon the Yahoo page
              you are on. Some it is at the top of that section and says "Sign In" or "Log
              in" or on the left hand edge that says "Registered Users (not linked) then
              right below that it says SIGN IN (as a clickable link)".

              Once you are CORRECTLY logged/signed in then it is not an issue and
              everything works the way you probably expect it to.

              The reason it works when you access it through the group and not the E mail
              is that you have already logged into get there at the group level. The two
              sections (groups & E mail) do not seem to talk to each other in Yahoo. Keep
              in mind that almost all of the Yahoo Groups are a financial drain on Yahoo
              and not a revenue generation stream so they likely have zero encouragement
              to make things easy for us/you. Since none of us is having to shell out a
              monthly $ to be on here, do you really think Yahoo would be that interested
              in helping you??? To a business, money talks...everything else is JUST hot
              air :).

              Having logged myself and others in on may different systems across the
              country onto the Yahoo system, the only major one I have had conflict issues
              with is AOL, though I have not tried Prodigy or CompuServe since we migrated
              here to Yahoo. The rest of the time things did not seem to work the way it
              was supposed to it has been operator/operator equipment issues...and yes I
              include myself in making those errors myself as well so there are no fingers
              pointing anyone out in particular.

              While the cookie settings are a part of it at times and often the most
              common issue, Yahoo does also have a few things to trip even the more
              experienced geeks among us.

              Possibly this info may be needed to be added to the file section with the
              rest of the "administrative info" so we don't have this same thread pop up
              every few months...Steve?

              hope this helps,

              Tim Mulina
              BHI/Rail Systems

              http://quickpicbooks.homestead.com
              http://narrowgauge.homestead.com

              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 23, 2003
                Tim,
                Your comments are very much appreciated. The situation I was experiencing was
                slightly different from what you describe. If I go to the Yahoo Mail page and
                try to logon I get stuck in the endless password confirmation loop. However
                if I go to the Yahoo Group page or any individual group page then I can logon
                without problems. I'm entering as a 'guest' in both cases but only the group
                section logon works. I got around the problem by setting all my groups to
                forward mail to my webmail account so I don't have to go to Yahoo Mail
                anymore.

                Your comments about Yahoo and $$$ are quite valid. Yahoo doesn't exist as a
                public service, but rather to make money. Therefore it's only a matter of
                time before they start charging group owners for the privilege of maintaining
                their group at Yahoo.
                Mike

                > This is one issue that many have had in the past but it is not the only one.
                >
                > One thing that you need to check is that when you logon (or think you have)
                > at the top it should say WELCOME (then your name). If it says WELCOME GUEST
                > then you are not logged in and need to. ...
                >
                > The reason it works when you access it through the group and not the E mail
                > is that you have already logged into get there at the group level.

                Not in my case as I described above.