Re: [HOn3] Uranium on the RGS was Re: Working on the RR

  • Mike Lehman
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 1, 2003
      Rob,
      Thanks for that link. It's really fascinating reading and fills in even
      more of the story of uranium and the RGS.
      Mike Lehman
      Urbana, IL

      Rob wrote:

      > For those interested in the subject, the "RGS Technical Pages" have
      > an online article called "Atomic Age Narrow Gauge, listed at
      > http://www.orci.com/~bdwhite/atomic.htm
      >
      > It's got some interesting stuff. You will also find a lot of
      > comments about uranium prospectors in Robert Richardson's
      > old "Narrow Gauge News": there was apparently quite a rush on in the
      > 1950s.
    • Mike Lehman
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 1, 2003
        Carl,
        Good luck with the effort to preserve some of the less galmorous aspects
        of Colorado history. They are just as essential to our understanding of
        the big picture as the sexy stuff. Maybe some summer when I'm out that
        way we can get together, chat about how things are going and swap stories.
        Mike Lehman
        Urbana, IL

        carl barna wrote:

        SNIP
        > My historic context will be used to help us develop a preservation plan for the few remaining structures out there. We might even pursue a Historic District or Multiple Property nomination to the National Register.
        >
        > The actual mining and milling of the ores is a topic that has seen very little publication. Most of the writings have been on the political and economic developments of the industry and the AEC. So there's a good dissertation topic for ya! Oral history would be good for this except that most of the miners are dead from the combo effects of being macho by smoking cigarettes and scorning respirators. I've talked to a lot of the widows. Of course the gov't also downplayed the radon risks in the interest of production.
        >
        > Ft. Lewis College may also have some RGS paper on this. I know they have quite an RGS photo collection that was assembled by a former doctor.
      • szczowicz
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 1, 2003
          Carl,
          You will find a little oral history, not much, on a video
          called 'Otto Perry's RGS'. It mixes Perry original footage with
          contemporary (at the time) interview. A couple of train crew talk
          about moving the ores up to Montrose and how the cars ran
          differently when they were filled with yellow cake. If memory serves
          correct it's a Sunday River film.(I think).
          Mark
        • carl barna
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 2, 2003
            Mark --

            Thanks for the lead.

            CB
            You will find a little oral history, not much, on a video
            called 'Otto Perry's RGS'. It mixes Perry original footage with
            contemporary (at the time) interview. A couple of train crew talk
            about moving the ores up to Montrose and how the cars ran
            differently when they were filled with yellow cake. If memory serves
            correct it's a Sunday River film.(I think).
            Mark

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            HOn3 list web pages are:
            http://www.railwayeng.com/hon3/

          • Mike
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 22, 2003
              FWIW I found a way around the logon problem I was experiencing consistantly
              with Yahoo, and proof that it's Yahoo's problem not my system. If I try to
              logon through Yahoo mail, I get stuck in an endless loop asking for password
              confirmation. If I go to Yahoo groups and logon from there, it works fine
              every time. Yahoo is not perfect regardless of what some people believe.
              Caveat Emptor

              mike
            • BHI-Rail Systems
              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 23, 2003
                Mike and everyone else having issues with Yahoo logins,

                This is one issue that many have had in the past but it is not the only one.

                One thing that you need to check is that when you logon (or think you have)
                at the top it should say WELCOME (then your name). If it says WELCOME GUEST
                then you are not logged in and need to. There is a clickable text message
                which can be in a number of different places depending upon the Yahoo page
                you are on. Some it is at the top of that section and says "Sign In" or "Log
                in" or on the left hand edge that says "Registered Users (not linked) then
                right below that it says SIGN IN (as a clickable link)".

                Once you are CORRECTLY logged/signed in then it is not an issue and
                everything works the way you probably expect it to.

                The reason it works when you access it through the group and not the E mail
                is that you have already logged into get there at the group level. The two
                sections (groups & E mail) do not seem to talk to each other in Yahoo. Keep
                in mind that almost all of the Yahoo Groups are a financial drain on Yahoo
                and not a revenue generation stream so they likely have zero encouragement
                to make things easy for us/you. Since none of us is having to shell out a
                monthly $ to be on here, do you really think Yahoo would be that interested
                in helping you??? To a business, money talks...everything else is JUST hot
                air :).

                Having logged myself and others in on may different systems across the
                country onto the Yahoo system, the only major one I have had conflict issues
                with is AOL, though I have not tried Prodigy or CompuServe since we migrated
                here to Yahoo. The rest of the time things did not seem to work the way it
                was supposed to it has been operator/operator equipment issues...and yes I
                include myself in making those errors myself as well so there are no fingers
                pointing anyone out in particular.

                While the cookie settings are a part of it at times and often the most
                common issue, Yahoo does also have a few things to trip even the more
                experienced geeks among us.

                Possibly this info may be needed to be added to the file section with the
                rest of the "administrative info" so we don't have this same thread pop up
                every few months...Steve?

                hope this helps,

                Tim Mulina
                BHI/Rail Systems

                http://quickpicbooks.homestead.com
                http://narrowgauge.homestead.com

                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 23, 2003
                  Tim,
                  Your comments are very much appreciated. The situation I was experiencing was
                  slightly different from what you describe. If I go to the Yahoo Mail page and
                  try to logon I get stuck in the endless password confirmation loop. However
                  if I go to the Yahoo Group page or any individual group page then I can logon
                  without problems. I'm entering as a 'guest' in both cases but only the group
                  section logon works. I got around the problem by setting all my groups to
                  forward mail to my webmail account so I don't have to go to Yahoo Mail
                  anymore.

                  Your comments about Yahoo and $$$ are quite valid. Yahoo doesn't exist as a
                  public service, but rather to make money. Therefore it's only a matter of
                  time before they start charging group owners for the privilege of maintaining
                  their group at Yahoo.
                  Mike

                  > This is one issue that many have had in the past but it is not the only one.
                  >
                  > One thing that you need to check is that when you logon (or think you have)
                  > at the top it should say WELCOME (then your name). If it says WELCOME GUEST
                  > then you are not logged in and need to. ...
                  >
                  > The reason it works when you access it through the group and not the E mail
                  > is that you have already logged into get there at the group level.

                  Not in my case as I described above.