Re: [HOn3] Floquil Solvents

  • mrbnf
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 3, 2003
      Ed,

      Accoriding to my vendor, these are supposed to be the same. The 150001
      is a one ounce bottle, 161611 is a 16 ounce can and 546008 is an 8
      ounce can. it was much easier when they used the same number for all of
      their different sizes of thinner and the last number (or two) was for
      the size of the container xxxxx1, xxxxx8, xxxx16 and xxxx32. Sorry I
      don't remember what the prefix to the size number.

      Big Al from Cal

      twill wrote:

      >Gang,
      > OK, since Floquil no longer makes Diosol, they now have two
      >different solvents in large cans - 151611 which their web site is
      >"Airbrush Thinner for all Floquil Enamel Colors" (this isn't exactly
      >what's shown on the can itself, but whatever ...) and 150001 "Airbrush
      >Thinner and Brush Cleaner for all Floquil Enamel Colors" (there are
      >other sized cans with different numbers).
      > Is there any significant difference between them? If not, why do
      >they have two different formulas? I have need for both airbrush
      >thinning (with both old and newer formula Floquil RR colors) and brush
      >cleaning.
      > My local hobby store seems to only carry the 151611. Should I care?
      > Thanks again,
      > Ed Dorroh
      >

      >HOn3 list web pages are:
      >http://www.railwayeng.com/hon3/

    • craigsym
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 3, 2003
        Ed,

        Just an added comment here....

        A friend gave me a 1 qt tin of Xylol (Xylene) that he bought at Home
        Depot or one of those home hardware chains in the US. He paid less
        than $5 for it. According to a painter at his place of employment,
        it is very similar to (if not the same as) Diosol. He uses it
        exclusively with Floquil paints.

        Just this past week, I've been doing some painting with Floquil and
        Humbrol paints. I used both Diosol and Xylol to thin the Floquil
        paints and the results were exactly the same. On a whim, I tried
        thinning the Humbrol with the Xylol too. The Humbrol thinned/sprayed
        just as well with the Xylol as the real Humbrol thinner. The Xylol
        cleaned up the airbrush and brushes perfectly too. Guess what I'm
        going to use exclusively now? :)

        The reason I'm posting is that maybe you can just get some Xylol
        (Xylene) from your local hardware or paint store. Save yourself a
        bunch of money and not have to order it.

        ** Nobody needs to post about the health hazards of using the stinky
        paints. I'm well aware that all three thinners are hazardous to our
        health. I wear a respirator, spray in my garage with the doors open
        and a fan on. And recommend everyone else take the similar
        precautions. **

        Hope this helps. Have fun painting!

        Craig.

        RGS - Ridgway to Rico.
      • martin Rosenfeld
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 3, 2003
          I believe Diosol is a mixture of xylol (xylene) and toluol (toluene), hence, the name Diosol ("two solvents"). I cannot find toluol anywhere at retail. It seems to be so toxic that you need a license to buy it wholesale. Does anyone know anything about toluol sales?
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 3, 2003
            Martin,

            It could also be sold under the name "toluene". Should be the same stuff. thought I've seen it in Home Depot stores ...

            Mike Conder

            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 3, 2003
              In a message dated 8/3/2003 4:36:19 PM Central Standard Time,
              vulturenest1@... writes:

              > It could also be sold under the name "toluene". Should be the same stuff.
              > thought I've seen it in Home Depot stores ...
              >
              > Mike Conder

              Isn't that the ingredient in clearners and aerosols that eat up your brain
              and nervous system? Used to be in Berrymans B-12 Carb cleaner! Banned in
              California I think?

              Bill Martin
              San Antonio, Texas
              Presque Isle Northern RR

            • Boone Morrison
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 3, 2003

                >Isn't that the ingredient in clearners and aerosols that eat up your brain
                >and nervous system? Used to be in Berrymans B-12 Carb cleaner! Banned in
                >California I think?
                >
                >Bill Martin
                >San Antonio, Texas
                >Presque Isle Northern RR

                Yep, Bill, that's the stuff! But, EVERYTHING is banned in California!

                Aloha, Boone

              • HOn3MRR@aol.com
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 3, 2003
                  In a message dated 8/3/2003 8:08:24 PM Central Standard Time, boone@...
                  writes:

                  > Yep, Bill, that's the stuff! But, EVERYTHING is banned in California!
                  >
                  > Aloha, Boone

                  Dang, I thought so.......my wife sez that sometimes I'm not right in the
                  head! After 40 years in the auto business, I probably used several thousand cans
                  of that stuff before I read the California Warning label just before I
                  retired!

                  Hey maybe thats why I'm enjoying my retirement and model railroading so much!

                  Looking forward to seeing everyone in Denver in Sep!

                  Bill Martin
                  San Antonio, Texas
                  Presque Isle Northern RR

                • Jim Williams
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 3, 2003
                    Hi all.....I've been watching this discussion and I can provide some information. You need to know that Toluene and Xylene are not the same thing but similar. Both are aromatics but Xylene has two attached methyl groups toluene only one. So what right? I taught chemistry can you tell? The big deal is that both and all their relatives are considered to be carcinogenic, cause cancer, which is why everyone is trying to come up with alternative solvents.

                    It is not the same thing as in aerosols those were PCB's (phased out) and they attack the Ozone Layer, the aromatics attack you. The effects appear to be cumulative, building up primarily in the liver, so the best thing to do is reduce contact, both on skin and inhaling. Common saftey with ventilation and gloves is the best bet, but anyone who has ever painted a model knows, regardless of what you do you get it on you. This is why the paint industry is changing.......

                    By the way Carb cleaner is still different and really nasty. A lot of stuff that was used in the 50's and 60's can be really lethal with continued contact.....Best Jim W.

                    vulturenest1@... writes:

                    > It could also be sold under the name "toluene". Should be the same stuff.
                    > thought I've seen it in Home Depot stores ...
                    >
                    > Mike Conder

                    Isn't that the ingredient in clearners and aerosols that eat up your brain
                    and nervous system? Used to be in Berrymans B-12 Carb cleaner! Banned in
                    California I think?

                    Bill Martin
                    San Antonio, Texas
                    Presque Isle Northern RR

                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 3, 2003
                      Probably so. toluene & xylene are similar in chemical structure and properties, esp. their solvent properties. Theyare the "T" and "X" of BTEX: benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene, and xylene. Proper care is required to handle them, but benzene is definitely the worst actor from a health stand-point.

                      Mike Conder

                      Bill Martin wrote:
                      Isn't that the ingredient in clearners and aerosols that eat up your brain and nervous system? Used to be in Berrymans B-12 Carb cleaner! Banned in California I think?

                    • William Ufffam
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 4, 2003
                        Not to be picky but PCBs were coolant oils often used in big transformers.
                        Aerosols were CFCs ala Freon and Genetron.

                        Bill--environmental lawyer/lobbyist--Uffelman

                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 4, 2003
                          In a message dated 8/3/2003 10:37:18 PM Central Standard Time,
                          wwww5960@... writes:

                          > By the way Carb cleaner is still different and really nasty. A lot of stuff
                          > that was used in the 50's and 60's can be really lethal with continued
                          > contact.....Best Jim W.

                          I'm a gonner!

                          Bill Martin
                          San Antonio, Texas
                          Presque Isle Northern RR

                        • Ken Martin
                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 4, 2003
                            Yeah, We all are. Odds are none of us will be alive a hundred years from now.

                            Ken Martin

                            HOn3MRR@... wrote:

                            > In a message dated 8/3/2003 10:37:18 PM Central Standard Time,
                            > wwww5960@... writes:
                            >
                            > > By the way Carb cleaner is still different and really nasty. A lot of stuff
                            > > that was used in the 50's and 60's can be really lethal with continued
                            > > contact.....Best Jim W.
                            > >

                            > I'm a gonner!
                            >
                            > Bill Martin
                            > San Antonio, Texas
                            > Presque Isle Northern RRR
                          • Jim Williams
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 4, 2003
                              Bill That's right, I stand corrected ...Thanks Jim

                              William Ufffam <ufffam@...> wrote:Not to be picky but PCBs were coolant oils often used in big transformers.

                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 4, 2003
                                In a message dated 8/4/2003 10:46:58 AM Central Standard Time,
                                wwww5960@... writes:

                                > William Ufffam <ufffam@...> wrote:Not to be picky but PCBs were coolant
                                > oils often used in big transformers.
                                > Aerosols were CFCs ala Freon and Genetron.
                                >
                                > Bill--environmental lawyer/lobbyist--Uffelman

                                I'm sure glad to hear that Bill Uff, the PCBs are out, however the Aerosols
                                in the freon more than made up for that. I probably huffed at least a thousand
                                cans of R-12 during my 40 years working, so I am definately a gonner and will
                                be joining all of you in the hereafter, as K Martin explained.

                                Seriously, how many of you guys and gals are going to the Sep bash in Denver?
                                I'm very excited being this is my first NG Convention, and possibly my last
                                chance to meet any of you!

                                Bill Martin
                                San Antonio, Texas
                                Presque Isle Northern RR

                              • Jim Williams
                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 4, 2003
                                  Hi All....I'm enjoying the gallows humor. I worked in my Uncle's gas station as a kid in High School and College (50's -60's). He did a lot of Carb rebuilds, and was up to his elbows in all kinds of fluids. He is currently in good health and in his 90's. There is a genetic factor with all this as well. Don't do any radical modifications with the "Last will and testament" yet.......Best Jim W.

                                  HOn3MRR@... wrote: In a message dated 8/3/2003 10:37:18 PM Central Standard Time,

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 4, 2003
                                    In a message dated 8/3/03 8:08:24 PM Central Daylight Time, boone@...
                                    writes:
                                    > Yep, Bill, that's the stuff! But, EVERYTHING is banned in California!
                                    Aloha, Boone
                                    IT'S CALLED PROPOSITION 65.
                                    > Thats why ROUNDBELL WOOD STAINS ( 1 oz. bottles for model railroad use )
                                    > aren't distribnuted or sold in California. California is why EVERYTHING made of
                                    > plastic or petroleum is labeled "causes cancer in California". Wayne Weiss

                                  • john vivian
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Aug 4, 2003
                                      And....MORE...
                                      I'm sure siphoned gas, NO2, racing fuel, methanol and
                                      other additives we didn't know we wern't supposed to
                                      use in cars, airplanes etc. Not to mention agent
                                      orange, DDT, and such stuff. We're so lucky to have
                                      all that info.
                                      And.. The farmers and RR men knew that in 1920 or so
                                      when the DIDN'T allow the inside of stock cars to be
                                      painted with lead paint so the animals wouldn"t eat
                                      it.
                                      Wonder what they will find wrong with Beer other than
                                      it's fattening. JOHN V>8-)))

                                      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                                    • HOn3MRR@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Aug 4, 2003
                                        In a message dated 8/4/2003 7:22:02 PM Central Standard Time,
                                        john_vivian@... writes:

                                        > I'm sure siphoned gas, NO2, racing fuel, methanol and
                                        > other additives we didn't know we wern't supposed to
                                        > use in cars, airplanes etc. Not to mention agent
                                        > orange, DDT, and such stuff. We're so lucky to have

                                        Dang I did all them too, some on purpose, some not!

                                        I should have enough time to do the convention though!

                                        See you there!

                                        Bill Martin
                                        San Antonio, Texas
                                        Presque Isle Northern RR