Re: [HOn3] Painting Stock Cars

  • john vivian
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 31, 2003
      Mark, Charlie;
      Any shade of black from light grayish through black
      black works. It depends on the length of time from
      paint shop to day photo taken (model painted). They
      faded to driftwood gray if neglected for a while. The
      scratch back method has worked for me so use it as
      described. NOTE: the interior of the cars, including
      the top and bottom edge of the side boards was NOT
      painted. This was so animals would not chew on a
      painted surface. Interior weathered natural wood. I
      use gray primer, a mist of black, foundation and
      another mist of gray prior to scratching the interior
      (painted on finished car without the roof in place)
      also on the interior of the separate roof. Then I fill
      the car with a rolled up paper towel, tucked into the
      corners to cut over spray, put on the roof and spray
      the car hold gun perpendicular to side of car to
      minimize spray on edges of side boards(can't do this
      with Rail Line cars, only MRRGS cars, sorry), remove
      the roof, remove paper, glue on roof and weather car.
      Rail Line cars can be sprayed through the doors first,
      then scratched and stuffed through the doors before
      painting exterior. Decals on older cars would fade, so
      light sand and wash with dirty thinner or India
      ink/alcohol. NOTE: Floor boards that extend out past
      lower board of side were very light whitish gray from
      the lime washed out under the boards. Some streaked
      the side sill also, nice extra detail as is hay( sandy
      colored flocking) on floor. Lots of cars were never
      repainted with flying Rio Grande and only car number
      was repainted for identification. If you can find a
      copy of "Taking Stock" by Vic Stone, it has all of the
      variations and different paint/lettering types.
      Hope this helps. Happy Modeling JOHN V>8-)
      --- <snip>
      > Is the model to be of a D&RG car, or a D&RGW car
      > after the early 1920's rebuilding campaign? It
      > makes a difference. The D&RG used Prince's Mineral
      > Brown on the stock cars, but the D&RGW painted them
      > black.
      > Charlie Mutschler
      <snip>
      Mark L. Evans wrote:

      > I'm ready to paint my first D&RG 5500-5900 series
      > stock car. The suggestion in the kit is to use
      > grimy black.
      > snip>
      > I'll start with <s>scratch with fiberglass eraser"
      > method to get the weathered look of wood into the
      > plastic. <snip>
      > What color are the rest of you using for a final
      > coat on this series of cars?
      >
      > Mark

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
    • BHI-Rail Systems
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 31, 2003
        Mark,

        First off not to be too nit picky but those are two different classes of
        cars. The 5500-5849 ones were shorter at only 30' long and the 5900 class,
        one of which has recently be located had thought to have been totally
        scrapped, is If memory serves 34' long. As of right now there are few
        details out on the 5900 cars (hopefully that can change soon).

        A lot will depend upon how "aged" you want it to appear. The newer the paint
        job, the darker the car. Places that should receive attention in white/off
        white is the areas around where the side truss rods go below the deck of the
        car to pass through the side sill. This is one place I have noticed both the
        white and the assorted muck from the animals. Again this and the straw
        residue will depend upon how recent it is to the stock rush you are hoping
        to portray because often the cars would be used as a boxcar (with sides
        open) at times to carry things like bagged but lower grade ores to be
        processed and other lading that was not affected as much by the weather but
        still needed to be carried in a semi enclosed car.

        If you are doing a double decked car then go for white/gray streaks down the
        sides of the diagonal wood trusses, not the edges facing the outside of the
        car but rather those where it would have run downhill.

        You may want to also add some rust streaks under the 4 pin locations on the
        doors and the ring and rod that keeps the lower part of the door from
        swinging away from the car side too much.

        Another thing to consider is drybrushing up the upper guide and brakestaff
        ratchet on the roof of the car and the brakewheels. The roofs & roofwalks
        were often in less than satisfactory shape and you can truly be accurate
        with heavier than normal wood graining on the boards up there, don't forget
        the joints in between boards in the roofwalks.

        The edges of the nuts on the grabs and around the car in general should have
        a light drybrushing of rust on them as well as assorted spots on the grabs
        themselves.

        If you are planning on a particular part of the year near the stock rush you
        can also put some fresh wood colored nicks around the door hasps and the
        frame of the door.

        One thing I did not notice in yours or the other comments is that while much
        of the wood weathered to gray, some parts actually weathered to an old
        leather brown...think about a well oiled baseball glove color of brown.

        John Vivian is right that Vic Stone's Taking Stock is the definitive book on
        the cars. I corresponded with Vic quite a bit to make sure I got the
        majority of the details shot and included in the Quick Pic Book on the
        5500-5849 cars.
        http://railsystems.homestead.com/files/drgw5500book.htm

        Hope this has helped some,

        Tim Mulina
        BHI/Rail Systems

        http://railsystems.homestead.com

        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 1 6:18 AM
          Mark,

          Don't forget to add the while stains about the floor area to represent the lime stains.

          --
          Paul Richardson
          Purgatory & Devil River Railroad

          Ride the P&DR on the web at:

          http://www.purgatoryanddevilriver.com

          PLEASE REMEMBER TO SIGN THE GUEST BOOK

          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 1 6:52 AM
            Mark,

            There's a new Quickpic book on the stock cars. I just got my copy (I shot the photos at the CRRM). The cars there are differnt blacks, one closer to grimy blck and two closer to engine black, slightly weathered. if you're going to do the scratchback on it, I'd recommend a mix between grimy black and engine black.

            For the book, see:

            http://railsystems.homestead.com/files/books.htm

            Mike Conder

            "Mark L. Evans" <mevans@...> wrote:
            I'm ready to paint my first D&RG 5500-5900 series stock car. The suggestion
            in the kit is to use grimy black.

            I'll start with the "grey primer/roof brown/depot buff/grimy black/scratch
            with fiberglass eraser" method to get the weathered look of wood into the
            plastic. I was thinking it would look better to finish up with a coat of
            engine black rather than grimy black. I then planned on applying the decals
            and finishing up with more weathering from the air brush and chalks.

            What color are the rest of you using for a final coat on this series of
            cars?

            Mark

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            HOn3 list web pages are:
            http://www.railwayeng.com/hon3/

          • C. Mutschler
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 1 7:15 AM
              Mark,

              The last general shopping of D&RGW narrow gauge cars was in the late 1940's,
              so the cars would be black. As others have noted, weathering is a factor.
              The interiors were NOT painted - a point which makes painting the cars more
              complicated. I would opt for the various shades of gray on the car body,
              then mask the interior, and paint the exterior with black - depending on how
              weathered you want the car, then letter and add final weathering.

              Happy building.
              Charlie Mutschler
              -30-

              on 7/31/03 11:08 PM, Mark L. Evans at mevans@... wrote:

              Charlie

              I am looking at after the rebuilding campaign- 1940's - 1950's.

              I also blew it on the car numbers - 5500-5849 series is what I am after.

              Mark

              > Is the model to be of a D&RG car, or a D&RGW car after the
              > early 1920's
              > rebuilding campaign? It makes a difference. The D&RG used
              > Prince's Mineral
              > Brown on the stock cars, but the D&RGW painted them black.
              >
              > Charlie Mutschler

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

              HOn3 list web pages are:
              http://www.railwayeng.com/hon3/

              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

            • Rick Blanchard
              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 1 8:22 AM
                Mark,

                I shot some more details for the Quick Pic book of the cars at Chama. These
                cars have been repainted by the Friends of the C&TS at least five years ago
                and all are still basically a fresh dark black, closer to engine black. If
                you have a string of cars to do you can have fun trying different formulas
                and mixes. By the time you get done you'll have it just right!

                The interiors were unpainted and since they haven't been used for a long
                while they were overall a dark dusty gray color with a few darker accents.

                Cheers,
                Rick

                Mike wrote:
                >There's a new Quickpic book on the stock cars. I just got my copy (I shot
                >the photos at the CRRM). The cars there are differnt blacks, one closer
                >to grimy blck and two closer to engine black, slightly weathered. if
                >you're going to do the scratchback on it, I'd recommend a mix between
                >grimy black and engine black.
                >
                >For the book, see:
                >
                >http://railsystems.homestead.com/files/books.htm

                --
                Rick Blanchard
                rick@...
                Abiquiu, New Mexico
              • Mark L. Evans
                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 1 8:30 AM
                  I want to thank everyone for the great input, especially the photos Tim sent
                  my way.

                  I have been looking through the photos in the RGS Story series of books. I
                  agree with Rick. You can find as many variations on paint as there are cars
                  in a train in any of the images. I think I will approach this like I have
                  the 3000 series box cars. I start with oxide red on the box cars but
                  different amounts of antique white to each car I do. This give me the
                  variation I see in the photos. I like the idea of using engine black as a
                  base with differing amounts of grimy black added for variety.

                  Mark

                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 1 9:34 AM
                    Mark L. Evans wrote:

                    >I'm ready to paint my first D&RG 5500-5900 series stock car. The suggestion
                    >in the kit is to use grimy black.
                    >
                    >I'll start with the "grey primer/roof brown/depot buff/grimy black/scratch
                    >with fiberglass eraser" method to get the weathered look of wood into the
                    >plastic. I was thinking it would look better to finish up with a coat of
                    >engine black rather than grimy black. I then planned on applying the decals
                    >and finishing up with more weathering from the air brush and chalks.
                    >
                    >What color are the rest of you using for a final coat on this series of
                    >cars?

                    Engine Black is pure flat black. According to the artists, pure black
                    should only be used for the absence of light, i.e., like behind a
                    window, the interior of a non-detailed structure, etc. I personally use
                    Grimy Black as the color on my D&RGW cars - it looks pretty dark under
                    the lights on my layout.

                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 1 2:35 PM
                      A caution regarding use of museum cars as prototypes for painting
                      in-service cars: It is often many years since such cars have seen
                      service condition, which may differ greatly from their current
                      condition. In particular, preserved cars are often much cleaner than
                      when they were in regular use. But even when preserved cars are
                      filthy dirty, the nature of that dirt probably differs from what they
                      accumulated in service.

                      Regarding stock cars: It is now almost 4 decades since anyone in North
                      America shoveled out and hosed down a stock car floor. Stock car
                      floors once received a heavy dose of both brown and white pigments,
                      whenever the car was put to its indended use. Most preserved stock
                      car's floors have just been gathering dust for decades. Preserved
                      stock car's sides, which used to collect those same pigments, have
                      been scoured clean by decades of rain.

                      Similar considerations apply elsewhere. Preserved gondola's interiors
                      are now largely driftwood gray with rusty hardware, after decades of
                      rain without any of the scouring action of loads or the scars of
                      blown in dust or museum detrius, with little evidence of the loads
                      they once carried. Preserved flat car's decks are now usually a
                      fairly uniform dusty driftwood gray, with no hint of the once
                      universal practice of blocking loads in place using 4-6" thick timber
                      nailed down with 8-12" spikes. Preserved hoppers now have rusty
                      sheets where they were once scoured down to bare metal by sliding
                      loads.

                      So before painting an open car, give some thought to how that car has
                      been used over the previous few years, and how that use affected the
                      car's appearence.

                    • JOHN & KIM MCGLOTHLEN
                      Message 10 of 22 , Aug 1 7:09 PM
                        BHI-Rail Systems <bhirailsystems@...> wrote:

                        the 5900 class, one of which has recently be located had thought to have been totally scrapped, is If memory serves 34' long.

                        Tim...In your recent post you note that a 5900 class stock car was recently discovered. How intact is it, and is it potentially restorable? Where was it found? I think a 5900 class car would look quite nice on the C&TS RR, snuggled amidst its smaller brethren. john mcglothlen

                      • BHI-Rail Systems
                        Message 11 of 22 , Aug 1 7:50 PM
                          John,

                          If memory serves...and I am sure others on here remember it better, there
                          were two found in CO in use as sheds on some guys farm.

                          I want to say I may have seen the info on the NG Discussion list
                          http://www.ngdiscussion.net/cgi-bin/NGDFcook.pl but I can't say for sure.

                          I agree that it would be cool but I doubt it would be economically feasible
                          because one thing is the trucks from those cars were cannibalized for use
                          under other equipment and replicating trucks is expensive.

                          The CRRM spent around $25,000 for some Passenger car truck castings to make
                          new trucks for DRGW coach 284 and they have a number of other cars that need
                          those exact trucks too sitting on blocks or on 3'7 arch bar freight trucks
                          like RPO #60 is. With the financial issues facing the C&TS getting all of
                          the maintenance done on the locos that had been deferred over the years, I
                          don't know if they have the extra resources to even consider undertaking
                          something like this. Something to keep in mind if one of gets luck in the
                          lottery huh :).

                          regards,

                          Tim Mulina
                          BHI/Rail Systems

                          http://railsystems.homestead.com
                          http://narrowgauge.homestead.com

                          Message 12 of 22 , Aug 1 10:51 PM
                            Tim:
                            As a side note, I don't think any of us thought we
                            would see tank cars back from WP&Y either, so cross
                            fingers and watch for the Golden Preservation Fierry
                            to drop a load of Colorado gold dust on the wish.
                            We have seen stranger things happen.
                            JOHN V>8-)
                            wrote:
                            > John,
                            >
                            > If memory serves...and I am sure others on here
                            > remember it better, there
                            > were two found in CO in use as sheds on some guys
                            > farm.
                            > snip>> Something to keep in mind if
                            > one of gets luck in the
                            > lottery huh :).
                            >
                            > regards,
                            >
                            > Tim Mulina

                            http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                          • BHI-Rail Systems
                            Message 13 of 22 , Aug 1 10:58 PM
                              John,

                              Yep you are correct there along with many other items.

                              My doubts also stem from seeing firsthand many ex RR cars used as sheds. By
                              the time they have been used for 50+ years in the kind of environment that
                              CO has I am surprised they are still standing. One of the groups came across
                              a DSP&P freight car still with existing paint in use as a shed. But the
                              shape it was in with rot and decay no way it would roll again, but it would
                              serve as patterns for new cars to be built.

                              Now for one or more crazy train people to hit one of the lotteries huh :)

                              Hoping for some of that CO Gold dust to filter down on all the preservation
                              groups that are doing so much with so very little.

                              wrote:
                              > John,
                              >
                              > If memory serves...and I am sure others on here
                              > remember it better, there
                              > were two found in CO in use as sheds on some guys
                              > farm.
                              > snip>> Something to keep in mind if
                              > one of gets luck in the
                              > lottery huh :).
                              >
                              > regards,
                              >
                              > Tim Mulina

                            • Jeff Osborne
                              Message 14 of 22 , Aug 2 2:52 AM
                                Mark,

                                If you haven't tried PBL's Star brand paints I suggest you give them a try.
                                You can order them directly from PBL at http://www.p-b-l.com

                                After buying some of the paints to try them out, I'm happy with the paint.
                                The wood paint colors alone are the closest I've seen to coming to wood that
                                has weathered to a nice seasoned brown w/golden tones and weathered gray in
                                places.

                                They offer one coat coverage, are very suited for airbrushing (recomended),
                                spray at 10-20psi, and dry very quickly. You can scratchbrush it in about 10
                                minutes after spraying it. The other thing I've noticed with the paints is
                                that the paint color doesn't change when scratched with a fiberglass brush
                                like floquil does (especially gray & boxcar red.)

                                They have 3 wood colors: Natural Wood, Seasoned Brown Wood, and Weathered
                                Gray Wood

                                You paint the whole car with the Natural wood color first, and then the
                                seasoned brown & weathered gray to your liking, but let some of the previous
                                colors show through. After each coat scratch the previous coat back in
                                places. Then lightly spray a coat of the final base car color, but not so
                                heavy that it completely covers the wood tones underneath. Then scratch this
                                back again in places.

                                They only have a base black color avaliable, so you would have to use
                                Floquil Grimy Black and Weathered black to weather the base black color up.

                                Also for the 5500 series stock cars, you might also want to lightly spray on
                                a coat of boxcar red before the black coat, as if you can look at some real
                                cars, that have weathered, you can see traces of the boxcar red paint
                                underneath the black paint.

                                I have also painted up stock cars with Floquil engine black, then dry
                                brushed them with a mix of Floquil concrete gray & rail tie or roof brown in
                                varying amounts, and then airbrushed them with a light mist coat of grimy
                                black/weathered black to blend the weathering.

                                Jeff
                              • brian bass
                                Message 15 of 22 , Aug 2 9:14 AM
                                  If the cars could be rescued and brought to Chama and restored so they dont
                                  get worse, they could get to the trucks when they can. I would rather see
                                  them on blocks or the wrong trucks vs rotting away on a farm.
                                  Brian

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Aug 3 1:34 PM
                                    Speaking of old cars used as sheds, I just got back from Lake City, Crested Butte and other areas. In Lake City, I saw a car as a shed just above the Armory. Anybody know anything about this car? Also, is the caboose in Lake City for real, or is it SG or a replica of some kinds?

                                    Just north of LakeCity, somebody has a high side gon & a 3000-series box car. Again, anybody kow anything about these?

                                    Finally, east of Gunnison about 20 miles (IIRC) is a car shed painted almost pink, with white numbers "04407" or something like that. Again, anybody know anything about this car?

                                    thanks,

                                  • Jeff Osborne
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Aug 3 3:01 PM
                                      Mike,

                                      The caboose in Lake City is for real. It is D&RGW NG long caboose #0588.

                                      Jeff

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Aug 3 10:20 PM
                                        Thanks, Jeff. I didn't get too close, but the cupola side looked like it was flush with the car side, which looked odd to me. Next time, i'll get a closer look.

                                        Mike Conder

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Aug 4 4:22 PM
                                          Jeff,
                                          Your posting on Star brand paints has been most timely. I am
                                          about to paint the interior of a PBL 5900 series stockcar and your
                                          comments will come in handy. Thanx!

                                          Mike(Grandefan1)