Re: [HOn3] Tale of woe - new hobby needed

  • rgshon2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 3, 2003
      Sorry to hear of you loss.

      My suggestion, learn how to do it yourself. Get an old PFM or WSM K-series
      and do some work on it. Not realy cheep, but not expensive either. Once you
      have mastered the skills, you can than take pride in the fact that you put the
      sound in the engine.

      John V

    • Philip Floyd
      Message 2 of 28 , Jun 3, 2003
        Ken,
        Chalk it up to experience...put one expensive DP K-27 up on a viewing shelf with an honourable consist behind and go back to enjoying that "not too perfect" layout...:>)
        Phil
        It's the trains......

        mrbnf <mrbnf@...> wrote:
        Ken,

        A sad story indeed. Sorry to hear of you woe...

        Big Al from Cal

        Kenneth Ault wrote:

        >Here's my story -
        >
        > Lot's of expensive HOn3 brass locos running poorly on an
        >admittedly not perfect layout (not perfect, but the result of a LOT
        >of work).
        >
        > Bought a VERY expensive DP K-27 which, out of the box, ran
        >perfectly on the not perfect layout!!
        >
        > Sent VERY expensive DP K-27 to a PROFESSIONAL to have DCC decoder
        >and sound installed. (I have installed DCC and sound in several
        >other locos, but wasn't willing to take the chance with this one).
        >
        > VERY expensive DP K-27 came back with PROFESSIONAL installation.
        >Now runs like SH*T on not perfect layout. Derails and shorts out
        >with fractions of a millimeter defects on turnouts - due to VERY
        >slight changes in suspension of trucks. VERY EXPENSIVE loco
        >couldn't tolerate disassembly and reassembly even by a professional!
        >
        > Lesson learned - HOn3 is pretty, but much too finicky - need NEW
        >HOBBY.
        >
        > Any suggestions?
        >
        > Ken Ault
        >

        >HOn3 list web pages are:
        >http://www.railwayeng.com/hon3/

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        HOn3 list web pages are:
        http://www.railwayeng.com/hon3/

      • Boone Morrison
        Message 3 of 28 , Jun 3, 2003
          >In a message dated 6/3/03 3:58:31 PM, boone@... writes:
          >
          ><< Ken: Try Sn3, or On3...they run like a dream - even cheap locos on
          >crummy layout..and you don't even need a pro to work on one - they
          >run great as delivered...well, most.
          >>>

          >Another mistake...........Jim Vail would not have this view.
          >
          >eric

          Yea, Eric, but we know Jim is a retired professional mechanical
          engineer....and this fellow may not be so inclined. Heck, if Jim has
          a bad runner he RE-DESIGNS the darn thing!! :-)

          Aloha, Boone

          >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          ><http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1706533813:HM/A=1564416/R=0/SIG=11ti81skc/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60164797&partid=3170658>
          >
          >HOn3 list web pages are:
          ><http://www.railwayeng.com/hon3/>http://www.railwayeng.com/hon3/

        • Michael Bauers
          Message 4 of 28 , Jun 3, 2003
            Kenneth Ault wrote:

            >Here's my story -
            >
            > Lot's of expensive HOn3 brass locos running poorly on an
            >admittedly not perfect layout (not perfect, but the result of a LOT
            >of work).
            >
            > Bought a VERY expensive DP K-27 which, out of the box, ran
            >perfectly on the not perfect layout!!
            >
            > Sent VERY expensive DP K-27 to a PROFESSIONAL to have DCC decoder
            >and sound installed. (I have installed DCC and sound in several
            >other locos, but wasn't willing to take the chance with this one).
            >
            > VERY expensive DP K-27 came back with PROFESSIONAL installation.
            >Now runs like SH*T on not perfect layout. Derails and shorts out
            >with fractions of a millimeter defects on turnouts - due to VERY
            >slight changes in suspension of trucks. VERY EXPENSIVE loco
            >couldn't tolerate disassembly and reassembly even by a professional!
            >
            > Lesson learned - HOn3 is pretty, but much too finicky - need NEW
            >HOBBY.
            >
            > Any suggestions?

            Replace missing insulating washers would be my first thought.

            I've heard of models that ran very well until the one reversed wheel set
            on it got in the position to short out.

            A wheelset that acquired an out of spec check guage will also short in a
            live track switch, maybe you have one you aren't aware of? Have you
            checked the gauge of all the wheelsets?

            Is some sort of detail near those trucks unobtrusively bent and doing
            the shorting by being where it shouldn't be?

            I was at Radio Shack just yesterday and was very inpressed by the high
            quality and low prices of digital display hand held electrical test
            meters. I have more than a couple I've bought over the years and think
            they are essential test and service gear for the hobby workbench and
            mobile layout tool kit. One of those will easily help you track down a
            short .

            --
            Regards,
            Mike Bauers
            Message 5 of 28 , Jun 3, 2003
              VERY expensive DP K-27 came back with PROFESSIONAL installation.
              Now runs like SH*T on not perfect layout. Derails and shorts out
              with fractions of a millimeter defects on turnouts - due to VERY
              slight changes in suspension of trucks. VERY EXPENSIVE loco
              couldn't tolerate disassembly and reassembly even by a professional!

              I'm sorry to hear that... IMO, a "truly" well designed and well built mechanism should NOT have such problems! A well constructed locomotive SHOULD be able to withstand repeated disassembly and assembly WITHOUT special tools, techniques, incantations, spells, etc... If it all "works" only a "certain" way then it's not worthy of its "expensive" price tag...

              JeffB

            • carl barna
              Message 6 of 28 , Jun 3, 2003
                Problems do exist in HOn3.

                A VERY famous NG modeler who lives in the DC area used to model in HOn3.

                I once asked him why he switched to Sn3.

                He said that during an open house for the local NMRA, the HOn3 train went into a tunnel and never came out. The next day he decided to switch.

                I decided to model in Sn3 because of what he told me. I never had an engine that didn't run just fine out of the box.

                A lot HOn3 locos I've seen have to run at an unprotopically fast speed -- IMHO -- to keep from stalling out. They also sound like washing machines with a few bad parts.

                I do think that HOn3 geared engines run much better then their rod engines. Don't know why that would be, but that's what I've seen. I'm really surprised at how well my little $150 MDC shay runs.

                Cheers!

                Carl Barna
                Arvada, CO

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                HOn3 list web pages are:
                http://www.railwayeng.com/hon3/

              • Rick C Shoup
                Message 7 of 28 , Jun 3, 2003
                  Carl, now I know why he switched. He never would tell me.

                  My EBT HOn3 ran well but as has been said here you
                  gotta have good trackwork w/o twists or low spots.

                  Regards, Rick Shoup
                • Bill Uffelman
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jun 3, 2003

                    > Kenneth Ault wrote:
                    >
                    > >Here's my story -
                    > >
                    > >SNIP

                    > > Lesson learned - HOn3 is pretty, but much too finicky - need NEW
                    > >HOBBY.
                    > >
                    > > Any suggestions?

                    On30 8>))

                    Bill Uffelman
                  • Mike Bauers
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jun 3, 2003
                      carl barna wrote:
                      > Problems do exist in HOn3.
                      >
                      > A VERY famous NG modeler who lives in the DC area used to model in
                      > HOn3.
                      >
                      > I once asked him why he switched to Sn3.
                      >
                      > He said that during an open house for the local NMRA, the HOn3 train
                      > went into a tunnel and never came out. The next day he decided to
                      > switch.
                      >
                      > I decided to model in Sn3 because of what he told me. I never had an
                      > engine that didn't run just fine out of the box.
                      >
                      > A lot HOn3 locos I've seen have to run at an unprotopically fast
                      > speed -- IMHO -- to keep from stalling out. They also sound like
                      > washing machines with a few bad parts.
                      >
                      > I do think that HOn3 geared engines run much better then their rod
                      > engines. Don't know why that would be, but that's what I've seen.
                      > I'm really surprised at how well my little $150 MDC shay runs.

                      I've found over the years that almost no train hobbyists use electronic
                      or tv tuner cleaner/conditioner. That stuff literally lets run stuff
                      that otherwise refuses to operate.

                      It's as beneficial to an electrically operated model as remembering to
                      lube it every several months. Just wetting a Q-tip with plain old Radio
                      Shack tuner cleaner and passing it over every part of the electrical
                      path will make a not used for 20 years model run like it was factory new.

                      I've done just that to swap meet buys like the all zamac electrical path
                      vintage Athearn Lil' Monster. As bought and then lubed, the motor and
                      wheels would only move a quarter turn and stop.

                      The wipe with the electronic fluid and it ran like any well tuned model
                      should....... and it is far from a high quality, high tech model. It
                      just can run like one if you know of the proper way to 'shop' one.

                      If you're not doing this sort of treatment to your small models, then
                      your electrical path elements will work just as poorly as if you
                      don't properly lube the mechanical parts of your models when that is needed.

                      --
                      regards,
                      Mike Bauers
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jun 4, 2003
                        Ken,

                        I have converted one of these myself and found it no different to any other
                        loco in fact it was slightly easier than some. Only the front truck has
                        to come off to access the front screw. The back truck doesn't need to be
                        removed at all. I don't have mine in front of me but if you think it might
                        help to compare the settings on both I'll gladly comply. I have to say that
                        mine runs as it did before the conversion. I've converted a few more since
                        then and am at work at the moment but I think the DP is the one with the
                        sub frame which hold the drivers in place and also to which the front truck
                        is attached. Have a look there - it might be the problem.
                        Mark Kasprowicz
                        Oxfordshire England
                      • brian_budeit
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jun 4, 2003
                          --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, "Kenneth Ault" <aultk@m...> wrote:
                          > Here's my story -
                          >

                          > VERY expensive DP K-27 came back with PROFESSIONAL
                          installation.
                          > Now runs like SH*T on not perfect layout.
                          >
                          > Ken Ault

                          Ken,

                          While erics suggestion of a lawsuit is a bit extreme, have you
                          discussed these problems with the fellow who did the installation?
                          i think anyone considering themselves a "pro" and taking money for
                          this type of work would take the engine back and look into what you
                          are having a problem with. Give him another call.....before the suit.

                          From what you have said, the loco is part of the problem; rough
                          trackwork is compounding the problem? Yes, fixing track problems is
                          very frustrating, but even a perfect loco is going to behave badly on
                          bad track. Work on this, even to the point of one trouble spot at a
                          time, and quit for the night.

                          hon3 still has a lot to offer, don't give up just yet.

                          brian b
                        • Pete Doty
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jun 4, 2003
                            I have found in my limited experience, that most HOn3 operational problems
                            have to do with "rough" handling. Squeezing the rods may slightly bend them
                            give the loco a slight "lope" while not making a major difference in the
                            overall performance. And each "handling" of aforesaid loco can cause these
                            precision instruments to get a little more out of whack. That is why they
                            are packed in foam. Even a slight ding to the pilot truck might cause the
                            gauge to be out of whack. Just imagine what a shipping service could
                            potentially do!!!!

                            Do we really have to be master mechanics???

                            Pete Doty

                            Message 13 of 28 , Jun 4, 2003
                              >VERY EXPENSIVE loco
                              >couldn't tolerate disassembly and reassembly even by a professional!
                              >
                              >I'm sorry to hear that... IMO, a "truly" well designed and well built mechanism should NOT have such problems! A well constructed locomotive SHOULD be able to withstand repeated disassembly and assembly WITHOUT special tools, techniques, incantations, spells, etc... If it all "works" only a "certain" way then it's not worthy of its "expensive" price tag...

                              OK - enough is enough! The Division Point HOn3 K-27's are well designed
                              and good running locomotives - some of the best I have run. I have had
                              3 different ones running on my layout - and I've got lumps and bumps,
                              kinks and sags, curved turnouts and crossovers - and they have all run
                              fine over the whole layout. And I've had my personal DP K-27 apart -
                              and it went back together without problems - and with no special tools.

                              So Ken, take your time and investigate slowly - its probably a minor
                              problem once you find it. Try running it without the tender (if the
                              pickup system wasn't changed), or try running it with a different tender
                              (if the pickup system was changed to conventional). Try running it with
                              the pilot and trailing trucks removed. Try running it on the bench.
                              Eventually you'll find the problem.

                              One thing for sure - changing scales (or hobbies) isn't going to help.
                              And neither is "bad-mouthing" the locomotive!

                              Jim Vail
                            • grandefan1
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jun 4, 2003
                                Perhaps Sn3?

                                > Here's my story -
                                >
                                > Lot's of expensive HOn3 brass locos running poorly on an
                                > admittedly not perfect layout (not perfect, but the result of a LOT
                                > of work).
                                >
                                > Bought a VERY expensive DP K-27 which, out of the box, ran
                                > perfectly on the not perfect layout!!
                                >
                                > Sent VERY expensive DP K-27 to a PROFESSIONAL to have DCC
                                decoder
                                > and sound installed. (I have installed DCC and sound in several
                                > other locos, but wasn't willing to take the chance with this one).
                                >
                                > VERY expensive DP K-27 came back with PROFESSIONAL
                                installation.
                                > Now runs like SH*T on not perfect layout. Derails and shorts out
                                > with fractions of a millimeter defects on turnouts - due to VERY
                                > slight changes in suspension of trucks. VERY EXPENSIVE loco
                                > couldn't tolerate disassembly and reassembly even by a professional!
                                >
                                > Lesson learned - HOn3 is pretty, but much too finicky - need NEW
                                > HOBBY.
                                >
                                > Any suggestions?
                                >
                                > Ken Ault
                              • Edward L. Loechler
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jun 4, 2003
                                  Ken wrote a tale of woe, which concluded:
                                  > Lesson learned - HOn3 is pretty, but much too finicky - need NEW
                                  > HOBBY.
                                  >
                                  > Any suggestions?

                                  This was my experience as well. I could get the HOn3 section of my
                                  layout to run fairly well (Shays mostly), especially with perfectly
                                  clean track and loco wheels, plus everything fine-tuned. But the
                                  HOn3 portion has always been much harder to keep running smoothly
                                  compared to my HO portion.

                                  My solution? My HO line is a fictional shortline, and I have small
                                  locos, short trains and mountain scenery. It ain't HOn3 (sigh--I
                                  love the narrow gauge), but it feels like one, and I pretend it is.
                                  (And, hey, it is called the "Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette!")

                                  If this is not good enough, go to a junkyard and get one of those
                                  mirrors that says, "Objects closer than they appear," (which makes
                                  "objects" look smaller) and look at your HO trains through one of
                                  those.

                                  Ed
                                • Philip Floyd
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jun 4, 2003
                                    One thing for sure - changing scales (or hobbies) isn't going to help.
                                    And neither is "bad-mouthing" the locomotive!

                                    Jim Vail

                                    Jim,you hit it on the head!

                                    Phil...It's after all...the trains:>)

                                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                    HOn3 list web pages are:
                                    http://www.railwayeng.com/hon3/

                                  • Payne,Brett
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jun 4, 2003
                                      Guys,
                                      While a precision built model such as this should run like a watch. You can't guarantee that the "professional" who disassembled it and put it back together again, got it all back together in the right order - or with every screw and washer in the correct place.

                                      I suggest a call for help to the importer might provide some guidance. Or of you know someone who is REALLY good with mechanisms they may be able to find a misplaced insulating washer, bent detail, or something else causing the problem.

                                      Rgds
                                      BrettP

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jun 4, 2003
                                        > >VERY EXPENSIVE loco
                                        > > couldn't tolerate disassembly and reassembly even by a professional!
                                        > > Lesson learned - HOn3 is pretty, but much too finicky - need NEW
                                        > > HOBBY.
                                        > > Any suggestions?

                                        I've been disappointed by "Professionals" about half the time I've used
                                        them. Fortunately, never with any item as expensive as the DP locomotive.
                                        But I'm nearly to the point of either doing it myself or leaving
                                        "well-enough" alone. That means until I get the experience or confidence, I
                                        may not run a certain locomotive as much as I would like to. HOn3 is often
                                        frustrating but I haven't yet gotten to the point of flushing all I've
                                        invested and changing to Sn3 or larger. If I was a better mechanic, I'd sell
                                        out and buy a speeder to ride the real railroads!
                                        Dennis
                                      • Mike
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jun 5, 2003
                                          >> >VERY EXPENSIVE loco
                                          >> > couldn't tolerate disassembly and reassembly even by a professional!
                                          >> > Lesson learned

                                          It sure is a good thing that you didn't pay the "professional" any money until
                                          you were satisfied with the work, a guy could get burned otherwise.
                                        • mark.kasprowicz@tiscali.co.uk
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jun 5, 2003
                                            << And I've had my personal DP K-27 apart - and it went back together without
                                            problems - and with no special tools. So Ken, take your time and investigate
                                            slowly - its probably a minor problem once you find it.>>

                                            Jim is totally right. This is not a complicated loco to take apart (and
                                            put back together) for DCC and Soundtraxx installation. The only subassembly
                                            that has to be removed (from memory) is the front truck for access to the
                                            the front boiler screw*. It's also a very robust model. Unless the 'pro'
                                            has been utterly careless with this loco, this is probably going to be a
                                            simple reassembly fault. I woke up this morning thinking 'has the guy put
                                            the front truck on upside down?' because that's the only thing I can think
                                            of that could possibly be reassambled incorrectly. There again that would
                                            possibly induce a straight short.
                                            Ken, if you've installed DCC in other locos, this is no more difficult than
                                            a Westside or PSC model - the only thing holding you back is the price you
                                            paid, not the complexity of the job.
                                            Mark Kasprowicz
                                            Oxfordshire England
                                          • Jim Hamblin
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jun 5, 2003
                                              > >VERY EXPENSIVE loco
                                              > > couldn't tolerate disassembly and reassembly even by a professional!
                                              > > Lesson learned - HOn3 is pretty, but much too finicky - need NEW
                                              > > HOBBY.
                                              > > Any suggestions?

                                              (clip)

                                              Just had to put my two cents worth in this discussion...equipping any
                                              locomotive with DCC and Sound may give completely different running
                                              characteristics than those of a DC engine. Since DC is a "straight" or
                                              square-wave current, a short signal interruption is not typically noticed by
                                              the engine and it will continue onward with at most a slight change in
                                              speed. DCC is sending "packets" of data, and an interruption of the packet
                                              means that the decoder must now wait until another packet meant for it is
                                              received. Dirty track, dirty wheels, uneven track, etc, may cause these
                                              interruptions, and the engine typically lurches forward over the track when
                                              this happens.

                                              Another item of concern may be the actual decoder used. If the decoder is
                                              part of the sound module from Soundtraxx, these are of an older design, and
                                              sometimes do not operate well with the newer small motors. The newer
                                              decoders from Digitrax and others contain "supersonic" features for better
                                              operation of these motors.

                                              I would first check to see if the decoder is a Soundtraxx "all in one"
                                              decoder/sound board, or if the installer used both a decoder and a
                                              Soundtraxx sound module...and I would be sure to test it on a straight,
                                              clean piece of flex track for starters. HOn3 is not the problem....the same
                                              will hold true for Sn3, On3, or 1;20.3....dirt is the biggest enemy of DCC.

                                              Just my two cents worth.

                                              Regards,

                                              Jim Hamblin
                                              Smokestack Hobbies