Re: soundtraxx

  • boone@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 1, 1999
      >From: Eric Hansmann <ehansman@...>
      >
      >Boone Morrison wrote:
      >>

      >> One caution...when you get that big amp installed, be sure to warn your
      >> neighbors about your new sound system, otherwise they will think somebody
      >> built a RR in their neighborhood!!
      >>
      >> Aloha, Boone
      >

      >Hey Boone,
      >
      >Technically, you HAVE built a railroad in the neighborhood! :)
      >
      >Eric Hansmann - Land Acquisition Agent

      Right you are!! Hadn't thought about that....wonder if I needed a Permit
      of some sort?

      Actually, I have built THREE different RR in the neighborhood...the HOn3
      (inside), and G scale and 1:1 (60' of 3' gauge track) in the yard...

      Aloha, Boone
    • Chris C Short
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 1, 1999
        What kind of equipment do you run on your 1:1 "layout"?

        or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]
      • boone@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 1, 1999
          >From: Chris C Short <srr100@...>
          >
          >What kind of equipment do you run on your 1:1 "layout"?

          "Run" is right!! At present I have the frame and wheels from an 1885 Gregg
          Co 4-wheel sugar cane car that we can push back and forth...if there is
          enough beer. Hopefully this summer we can get the wood parts together and
          it will look very much like a railroad car.

          Most of the time it is a "static display"...:-))

          I also have two additional wheelsets, various journals and such and plan to
          build another 4-wheel car from that. There is enough 25lb rail stacked out
          there to get about 400'...but that is a long way to push!

          Aloha, Boone
        • richcee
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 2, 1999
            Annie, It depends on the noise. I've set up my HOn3 portable at a local mall
            as part of a 2 day boy scout railroad show and I can tell you that the
            typical steam sounds are not bothersome in the least. In fact it brings more
            people over to ooh and aah. I tuned it out, but the circus modelers down the
            aisle had music that made me wish that I could turn it up. My sounds are
            very toylike so reading all the details on this soundtraxx is very
            interesting. Don't know if this is my next big step but my imagination is
            going again.
            Rich C
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 2, 1999
              richcee wrote:

              > From: "richcee" <richcee@...>
              >
              > Annie, It depends on the noise. I've set up my HOn3 portable at a local mall
              > as part of a 2 day boy scout railroad show and I can tell you that the
              > typical steam sounds are not bothersome in the least. In fact it brings more
              > people over to ooh and aah. I tuned it out, but the circus modelers down the
              > aisle had music that made me wish that I could turn it up. My sounds are
              > very toylike so reading all the details on this soundtraxx is very
              > interesting. Don't know if this is my next big step but my imagination is
              > going again.
              > Rich C

              Hi Rich,

              While you're not switched over to the pure dcc sound systems... have you
              experienced the $9.99 sound cd-roms? several thousands sounds with a
              great search engine player/saver.

              I bought one at Target and have seen them in the local CompUSA as well.

              I found a few hundred train and industry sounds on mine. It might work
              very well for great sounding samples with your present methods. In
              combination with a audio mix/edit program, it would be a killer solution
              with those thousands of usable sounds.
              Had to be over 50 steam/air whistles alone.

              Killer thunderstorm(s) in there as well.

              regards
              Mike Bauers
            • wayne_walling@xxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 2, 1999
                >Right you are!! Hadn't thought about that....wonder if I needed a Permit
                >of some sort?

                **************Yeah! Especially if you want to be termed as a "common
                carrier", then you can also be allowed to vie for "rights-of-way" up to
                two hundred feet wide - through the Common Carrier condemnation of private
                lands for public use - this will allow you to carry US Mail also with the
                associated government funds - you will have to establish your own Railway
                Post Office too (just to satisfy the government requirements) - this was
                very common on the logging shows in Calif., Ore., and Wash. at the turn
                of the century. And, you can still transport logs too!
                W.
                (Of course, if you did this on your island, then you would be THE major
                land holder [isn't the island only about 200' wide?] and subject to other
                laws and taxes!)

                Wayne L. Walling, Super.
                Fac.Ops./WSU
                Pullman, WA 99164-1150
                PH: (509)335-9038
              • boone@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 2, 1999
                  >From: "richcee" <richcee@...>
                  >
                  >Annie, It depends on the noise. I've set up my HOn3 portable at a local mall
                  >as part of a 2 day boy scout railroad show and I can tell you that the
                  >typical steam sounds are not bothersome in the least. In fact it brings more
                  >people over to ooh and aah. My sounds are
                  >very toylike so reading all the details on this soundtraxx is very
                  >interesting. Don't know if this is my next big step but my imagination is
                  >going again.

                  Rich: You should definately listen to the Soundtraxx...if you like the
                  simple sounds you are getting now, just wait! The neat thing I find is
                  that I can "play the sounds"....and what used to be a simple thing of
                  "arriving at a depot" now becomes a whole piece of theatre....cut back on
                  the Johnson Bar as you slow, hit the bell, hit the warning whistle, blow
                  off a bit of steam, cut back more on the Johnson and slow more, air pump
                  pounds because of the braking and you roll to a neat stop with yet another
                  blow off of steam...cut the bell and hit "stop" so that the air pumps run
                  up again...then sound the last blasts on the whistle....

                  All of that action is available from a few buttons on this little hand
                  controller.....totally cool!!

                  Aloha, Boone
                • wayne_walling@xxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 2, 1999
                    >From: boone@... (Boone Morrison)
                    >All of that action is available from a few buttons on this little hand
                    >controller.....totally cool!!

                    **********So, do you have capability to put it on the Web? I dare you -
                    no, I "double-dog" dare you to try it!!!!!!!************
                    Wayne

                    Wayne L. Walling, Super.
                    Fac.Ops./WSU
                    Pullman, WA 99164-1150
                    PH: (509)335-9038
                  • JimVice@xxx.xxx
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 2, 1999
                      In a message dated 6/2/99 9:58:37 AM Pacific Daylight Time, boone@...
                      writes:

                      > .cut back on the Johnson Bar as you slow, hit the bell, hit the warning
                      whistle,

                      Snippety Snip

                      Don't forget the whine of the steam generator if it is in use and the
                      "clang-kaplunk" of coupling up. Awesome!

                      Jim
                    • Harold Huber
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 2, 1999
                        Wayne,

                        Go to Soundtraxx home page all the sounds are there for you pleasurable
                        listening.

                        http://www.soundtraxx.com

                        Harold

                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 2, 1999
                          Thanks Harold,
                          I'm just trying to stir Boone's imagination!
                          Wayne

                          Wayne L. Walling, Super.
                          Fac.Ops./WSU
                          Pullman, WA 99164-1150
                          PH: (509)335-9038
                        • Rick C Shoup
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 9, 1999
                            I wasn't there but I can say the answer to being sick of the sound was
                            YES. At some Train shows the volume is carefully monitored (with an audio
                            meter) and must be within a specified level. Disobey and you are told
                            once to turn off sound. If no response the vendor is evicted and will
                            never be accepted at their Train shows again.

                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 9, 1999
                              How's about a mule or a large dog for power?OR a winch/pulley/ endless
                              rope arrangement?
                              Regards.......... Rick Shoup