Re: [HOn3] V & T Conversion for MDC 2-8-0

  • Kevin Belsley
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 2, 2003
      > Duncan Harvey wrote,

      > Also, on locomotives, Dale Darney offers a conversion kit to make the
      > MDC inside frame loco into a C-17/18 type locomotive. The kit costs about
      > $25 and is available direct only. There are also a couple of conversion
      > kits to make the outside frame into a K-27 type loco. They are available
      > for around $100, plus shipping.

      Duncan,

      A while back some one mentioned (I think it was you) that Dale Darney still
      had a few of these conversion kits available. I sent an e-mail to the
      address given for him (in a related e-mail message) inquiring about this
      conversion kit and never got a reply. Do you know if this kit is still
      available and how can I contact him to get one (or two). If you have it,
      could you post his e-mail or snail mail address.

      Thanks for any help you can provide,

      Kevin Belsley
      Manchaca, Texas
    • brian bass
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 3, 2003
        I would like the contact info too. Also, how accurate is the loco when
        finished. I assumed the MDC locos were too big to work as a true 17/18.
        thanks, Brian

        >From: "Kevin Belsley" <kbelsley@...>
        >To: <HOn3@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: Re: [HOn3] V & T Conversion for MDC 2-8-0
        >Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 21:03:06 -0600
        >
        > > Duncan Harvey wrote,
        >
        > > Also, on locomotives, Dale Darney offers a conversion kit to make
        >the
        > > MDC inside frame loco into a C-17/18 type locomotive. The kit costs
        >about
        > > $25 and is available direct only. There are also a couple of conversion
        > > kits to make the outside frame into a K-27 type loco. They are
        >available
        > > for around $100, plus shipping.
        > >

        >Duncan,
        >
        >A while back some one mentioned (I think it was you) that Dale Darney still
        >had a few of these conversion kits available. I sent an e-mail to the
        >address given for him (in a related e-mail message) inquiring about this
        >conversion kit and never got a reply. Do you know if this kit is still
        >available and how can I contact him to get one (or two). If you have it,
        >could you post his e-mail or snail mail address.
        >
        >Thanks for any help you can provide,
        >
        >Kevin Belsley
        >Manchaca, Texas

        http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup
      • duncan harvey
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 3, 2003
          Nick, Kevin, Brian and others,

          I'm a little surprised at how much interest has been generated by the
          post I made, where I mentioned Dale Darney's conversion kit. I had posted a
          similar message two, or three, months ago and there seemed to be just a
          little interest. Anyway, here is the information asked for.

          V&T Car Shops, owned by Dale Darney - who, by the way, is a member of
          this list, first offered the conversion kit sometime in the early 80's, I
          think. I got one then. I didn't see them again, but understand now, that
          they have been offered periodically. The kit gives you a new boiler, smoke
          box front, cab, stack, domes, air pump, bell and whistle. Instructions tell
          you how to cut the MDC frame down to a more scale size and how to modify the
          pilot. The castings ( done in white metal) require just a little clean up,
          usually. Overall I really like the castings and especially the cab, as it
          is one I don't find available from PSC or other sources. The kit is much
          closer to a C-17/18 than using the stock MDC superstructure and frame.

          A few months ago there was a thread here about getting an inexpensive
          r-t-r HOn3 loco made. I mentioned the V&T kit and the fact that a friend of
          mine had been in touch with Dale and was asking about the availability of
          the kit. Dale was in the process of making it available again. I had
          talked to him at the SLC ng convention and asked about his re-releasing it.
          He was unhappy with the fit of the boiler and was thinking about redoing it.
          So, my friend contacted him. He has re-released the kit, but apparently
          without a redo of the boiler. The last I heard the kit was selling for $25
          plus $2 shipping/handling.

          Here is the information I have for getting ahold of Dale.

          Dale Darney
          V&T Car Shops
          170 Redstone DR.
          Reno, NV 89512

          email address is: darney@...
          Phone is: (775) 322-5092 I think

          Give him a call first to see if he has any kits left. You can usually
          get ahold of him and he is a very nice person to talk to. Hope you are
          successful. Good luck.
          Duncan
        • brian bass
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 8, 2003
            has anyone had any luck contacting vandt about these kits? i have not.

          • Louie Gomes
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 8, 2003
              On 1/8/03 7:21 AM, "brian bass" <fishingmaine@...> wrote:

              > has anyone had any luck contacting vandt about these kits? i have not.

              I emailed him on the 3rd of January and haven't received a response yet....

              Louie
            • kkbelsley <kbelsley@austin.rr.com>
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 8, 2003
                Brian,

                I tried contacting Dale Darney (V & T Shops) about the conversion kit
                at the e-mail address that Duncan provided last fall when he
                mentioned that they might be available, but didn't get a response.
                Then I tried to contact him by phone on Tuesday 1/07/03 after I got
                that information, but had to leave a message on the answering
                machine. I also followed up with another e-mail to Dale Darney last
                night and haven't gotten a reply yet.

                I'll be out of town for the next week and a half. So I'll let you
                all know then if I hear anything new from him.

                Waiting Hopefully,

                Kevin Belsley
                Manchaca, Texas
              • Rick & Katy Blanchard
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 8, 2003
                  Kevin,

                  Dale's current email address is: darney@...

                  Cheers,
                  Rick

                  >I tried contacting Dale Darney (V & T Shops) about the conversion kit...
                • LLOYD LEHRER
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 8, 2003
                    I sent a couple of emails and made a few calls also. Just getting the
                    machine. Check has not been cashed. Hopefully he is on a long and
                    pleasant vacation.

                    lloyd lehrer
                    > has anyone had any luck contacting vandt about these kits? i have not.

                    I emailed him on the 3rd of January and haven't received a response
                    yet....

                    Louie

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=241773.2725424.4169802.1925585/D=egroupweb/S=1706
                    533813:HM/A=1394046/R=0/*http:/www.hgtv.com/hgtv/pac_ctnt/text/0,,HGTV_3
                    936_5802,FF.html> HGTV Dream Home Giveaway

                    <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=241773.2725424.4169802.1925585/D=egrou
                    pmail/S=:HM/A=1394046/rand=420080911>

                    HOn3 list web pages are:
                    http://www.railwayeng.com/hon3/

                  • Hackman, Philip (P.)
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 13, 2003
                      Hey Gang,
                      With all the talk about the V&T kits, I just thought I'd send a
                      quick update. Back in October, I exchanged some e-mails with Dale about the
                      kits. At that time, he said he had the kits in stock. I ordered one, and
                      sent the check. So like most of you, I've been waiting with baited breath
                      to get it. I just talked to Dale today, (the phone number Duncan gave
                      worked) and as we speculated, he's been away from the (V&T)office for a
                      while. He said that he still has several kits in stock, but he needs to
                      finish boxing them up. He said he'd be shipping the kits out on Wednesday.

                      I've already got one of the older kits, and I'm very impressed with the
                      castings. Everything is there to build a respectable looking locomotive.
                      In addition to the parts Duncan listed, it also includes a new cylinder
                      saddle casting. This gives you more reasonable sized cylinders, and lowers
                      the boiler. However, it precludes us from using the kit on a outside frame
                      chassis. Although, with a little creativity.....

                      Phil Hackman
                      Macomb, MI

                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 8, 2003
                        Just thought I'd let everybody know. I just received my V&T conversion kit
                        for the MDC 2-8-0. I had ordered it in October, and talked to Dale in mid
                        January. It's a shame how real life gets in the way of model railroading.
                        Both modeling and manufacturing. But I did get it. Kit looks great, and
                        I'm well on my way. Just need to get a new motor, now.

                        Phil Hackman
                        Macomb, MI