Re: [HOn3] "Pilot" Height - Still have question

  • Rick C Shoup
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 5, 2002
      Ed what I did was to take a feeler gage the same thickness
      as the heigth of a kadee uncoupler shank which I believe is 3/64th"
      and slide it under the cow catcher's front edge.

      That is your benchmark.
      Now when you have the point
      of the cowcatcher's lower edge that height on level track,
      make checks along the start of your grade.

      Where the bottom touches indicates how
      much you have to side the start of the grade back.
      After some trial and error
      you will have the grade start smooth enough the loco
      will proceed w/o touching the rails.
      Then you'll have to do the reverse at the top.
      That is shave the top off to make a smooth transition.

      It took about 2 extra feet on the start of my grade and
      about the same amount at the top.
      That is why the long fills and cuts to climb hills.

      Regards, Rick Shoup