Re: [HOn3] Age Factor?

  • eabracher@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 2, 2002
      Duncan, I would like to add my 2 cents worth to your comments on
      manufacturers. Many of the manufacturers are of the small garage type of
      operation and work at it on a part time basis. I am a so called garage
      manufacturer and find that a very large order from a hobby shop will clean
      out my reserves of stock therefore making it impossible to fill other orders.
      I am many times at the mercy of other garage manufacturers for supplies in
      my kits. When they don't ship, I can't ship.

      If I get an order from a modeler and the same time from a Hobby Shop for the
      same kit I too will ship to the direct order first. One, it usually is a one
      off kit or part and the price is full retail. The hobby shop orders many
      kits which takes longer to fill and many times the profit margin on hobby
      shop sales isn't all that much. If I priced my kits for the time I put into
      them you would not buy them. The direct sales makes up for the close profit
      margins. If it were not for direct sales you would not have the pleasure of
      building any of my kits as I would not produce them.

      One manufacturer I know sales most of his kits at trade shows and therefore
      sells at retail prices. I only attend two trade shows a year due to other
      commitments.

      I hope this may answer some of your concerns.

      Eric Bracher/ Rio Grande Models
    • duncan harvey
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 2, 2002
        Eric,

        Thanks for your reply. I am aware of most of what you said, but others
        may not be. It is good to hear a clear explanation of what goes on in the
        hobby business. It is also good for the general customers to realize just
        how many factors are involved in getting an item on the shelf of a hobby
        shop. I have several of your kits built and many more on the shelf awaiting
        the time to build them and the place on the layout where they will
        eventually go, to come into existence. They are very nice models and of
        items that are unique in the field of model railroading. Again, thanks for
        your explanation.

        Duncan
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 2, 2002
          Mike,
          I used to have my Possum Lodge card around here, but the duct tape rotted away and I lost the card.
          For me, meeting time is every Saturday night at 10:30.
          Mike "trying to make a C-25 out of toilet paper tubes & duct tape" Conder
          The other Mike wrote:I'm not suprised to find other Possum lodge members in the HOn3 world.
          Both atract the same kind of good people.
          "keep yer stick on the ice"

          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 2, 2002
            In a message dated 10/2/02 10:26:09 AM, train3guy@... writes:

            << Again, thanks for