Re: Roadbed for HOn3

  • rwsnyder2002
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 31, 2002
      --- In HOn3@y..., "pdsteam" <pdsteam@a...> wrote:
      > Hello,
      > I am just starting into HOn3 narrow gauge railroading and would
      > like to know what roadbed material's are available. Like cork,
      > homabed, etc.
      > Thanks,
      > PeteC

      Been working on a large HOn3 Layout here in San Diego County and been
      using Homabed and been real happy with the product.
      Wayne Snyder
    • mickmoignard
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 4, 2002
        I use Woodland Scenics foam roadbed. It's glued to the plywood
        roadbed with white glue, and the track glued to it also with white
        glue. Been layed for 2 1/2 years with no problems, on quite a big
        HOn3 layout, and no track nails!

        Mick Moignard
      • Ed Anderson
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 13, 2010
          Guys,
          What can you use for roadbed for HOn3??

          Andy A--new to HO scale

        • Kjb80401@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 13, 2010
            Homabed works: _http://www.homabed.com/_ (http://www.homabed.com/)

            Click on "Products", then "HOn3", then on whatever you're looking for..

            Keevan

            In a message dated 1/13/2010 5:43:20 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
            longlancetorpedo@... writes:

            What can you use for roadbed for HOn3??

            Andy A--new to HO scale

          • hon3onthehill
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 14, 2010
              Andy

              I'm modeling the Rio Grande Southern whose track had the ends of the ties exposed. To get that effect, I use N scale cork for flex track and N scale Homabed (NBLS I think) for the handlaid code 55. On the handlaid I've had problems with Micro Engineering (ME) mini spikes. They easily bent if I installed them without using a starter hole. I've been using .015 K&S music wire either as the spike itself or as the starter for the ME spikes. See Railway Engineering for info on the music wire spikes.

              George Cooke
              RGS in HOn3

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 14, 2010
                Andy,

                On my last modules I used 1/8" thick x 3/4" or 1" wide bass wood over blue foam for road bed, then laid MicroEngineering Code 55 flex. Worked great! Got a lot of the basswood at Hobby Lobby on their frequent 50% off sales. For curves, I just angled/mitered the ends, quite simple.

                For turnouts, I used BK, LITCO and Railway Engineering, plus a few a friend made with the FastTrack jig (also highly recommended if you plan a LOT of the same angle TO's and have a limited budget but a lot of time). I now prefer the RE ones with ties attached, they just drop right in and work first time, every time. The others usually require some fiddling.

                Mike Conder

                Andy Anderson wrote:

                > What can you use for roadbed for HOn3?
                Sent from my handheld
              • Curt
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 14, 2010
                  Andy, Where I'm laying flextrack over pink extruded polystyrene foam board I find Woodland Scenics Track Bed is fast, quieting and works well. N-Gauge bed is nice for HOn3...you can widen the profile with ballast if you want. Obviously, to use it the underlying base has to be smooth with eased vertical transitions. Where I have handlaid track I transition to doorskin or 1/8" luan for a spikeable bed. Curt

                  --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, Ed Anderson <longlancetorpedo@...> wrote:

                  > Guys,
                  > What can you use for roadbed for HOn3??
                  >
                  > Andy A--new to HO scale

                • Jeff Lucas
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 14, 2010
                    N scale cork roadbed is another alternative for HOn3 roadbed.

                    Jeff Lucas

                    Community Development Services (CDS)

                    P.O. Box 645

                    Glenhaven, CA 95443

                    707-998-9203, ext. 104 - office

                    707-489-4943 cell

                    707-998-9209 fax

                    jefflucas@...

                    GO BEARS!

                  • Darryl Huffman
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 14, 2010
                      Curt,

                      I use the N scale roadbed for HO standard gauge as well. Works great.

                      Darryl Huffman
                      12020 Old Seward Highway
                      Anchorage, AK 99515
                      dlhuffman@...

                      Interested in weathering steam? Check out my newest DVD:

                      http://darrylhuffman.50megs.com/whats_new_3.html
                      .

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 14, 2010
                        I also used it on the branch line on my module, it's slightly thinner (lower) than the 1/8" basswood. But I don't separate it into 2 pieces, as I prefer to build the edges of the ballast without the pre-formed bevel.

                        Mike Conder

                        Darryl Huffman wrote:

                        > I use the N scale roadbed for HO standard gauge as well. Works great.
                        Sent from my handheld
                      • ebt18
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 14, 2010
                          I have been using IBL (Itty Bitty LInes) TT/HOm cork roadbed from Walthers. It comes in 18 inch sections and you can buy a box of 24 for $32.95. It is just about 1/8 inch thick and perfect for HOn3. I lay it over 2 inch pink foam insulation.

                          Russ Norris