Re: [HOn3] Micro-Engineering track

  • HOn3MRR@aol.com
    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 6 10:57 AM
      In a message dated 6/6/02 12:44:40 PM Central Daylight Time, rgshon3@...
      writes:

      > Code 70 Rail joiners

      Hummmmm I never paid much attention to them, but I always have gotten Atlas N
      Scale joiners and they are great!

      Bill Martin
      San Antonio, Texas
      Presque Isle Northern RR

    • Paul Richardson
      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 6 8:16 PM
        Johnny,

        I don't know when I'll get back to KC. I have a couple of prospects there and I'm finishing my current contract next Tuesday. I'll let you know if I'm coming back to KC.

        Paul

        > Paul,
        > I am not sure about the Code 70 Rail joiners. When I did my last layout in Code 70 I was not sure about which joiners I used, but I know that they were not ME joiners.
        >
        > John V
        >
        > BTW, when is the next time you will be up in KC?
        >
        > HOn3 list web pages are:
        > http://www.railwayeng.com/hon3/

      • Paul Richardson
        Message 3 of 30 , Jun 6 8:18 PM
          That's what I'm using too but they are a little tight and hard to install.

          Paul Richardson

          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 6 8:54 PM
            In a message dated 6/6/02 10:19:37 PM Central Daylight Time,
            purgatory@... writes:

            > they are a little tight and hard to install.

            Hi Paul.......

            I know what you mean, I've slid several of them under my fingernails. I do
            like them somewhat tight though and have made a little tool with a plastic
            handle and bent peice of rail, that someone on the list told about. Works
            just fine.....no more Commanche war dance in the garage when I have to pull
            one out of the end of my thumb!

            Bill Martin
            San Antonio, Texas
            Presque Isle Northern RR

          • Payne,Brett
            Message 5 of 30 , Jun 6 10:18 PM
              Mike,
              I have been using ME's code 55 joiners. They are very tight though as you say. I might try the Atlas code 55 ones next time.

              I also tried gluing using a calk compound after the process appeared in MR a year or so back. It made a horrible mess. I was gluing the track down to a spline roadbed made out of masonite. The method may work for some but I prefer white glue because I can salvage the track later if required. I found with a calk it was both messy to use, less forgiving on adjustment in curves, and sticks permanently once dry.

              Cheers
              Brett

            • rj.dial@ual.com
              Message 6 of 30 , Jun 7 7:40 AM
                I've tried all sorts of rail joiners - and no rail joiners too
                (soldered & filed track ends), but keep coming back to the ME tiny
                joiners. They seem to look the best, and don't interfere with the
                wheelsets. I use the joiners on handlaid track too.

                Make sure you have the right size for the rail, as ME makes code 40
                joiners, too. Make sure the rail ends don't have any burrs - I use a
                Dremel and sanding disk and needle file after nipping with the rail
                cutters. The joiners install on the first rail pretty easy with a pair
                of tiny needle nose pliers. Another tool I use is a dental pick in the
                shape of a flat spade, and stick it into the joiner from above,
                spreading apart the two blades. Getting the second piece of flex track
                on is the hardest, and usually takes a little patience and wiggling and
                adjusting with the pliers and pick. http://www.MicroMark.com is a
                great source for tiny tools that will help.

                Best of luck,
                RJ

                > Message: 6
                > Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 20:31:54 -0700 (PDT)
                > From: Mike Conder <vulturenest1@...>
                > Subject: RE: Micro-Engineering track
                >
                > Brett (and anybody else),
                > What are you using for rail joiners? I tried some of
                > ME's Code 55 joiners last Saturday, but couldn't even
                > get them on the rails. Very frustrating.
                > Mike Conder
              • duncan harvey
                Message 7 of 30 , Jun 8 10:56 AM
                  Paul,
                  There is a tool made that is especially designed for installing railjoiners on rail ends. It is made by C.L.A.M.S.
                  Caboose Hobbies carries them. They come in at least three sizes: Code 70, Code 100 and Code 83/55. The last one is deceptive. It is for "N" scale, and so works on that scales code 80 and 83 track. But that track is different from the HO code 83 track and is closer, in web width, to code 55. So, the code 83 "N" scale tool works fine for code 55 rail, too. Hope this is of help.
                  Duncan
                  P.S. Cost of the tool is about $8, I think.
                  DH

                  Message 8 of 30 , Jun 10 5:45 AM
                    Duncan wrote...

                    > Paul,
                    > There is a tool made that is especially designed for installing railjoiners on rail ends. It is made by C.L.A.M.S.
                    > Caboose Hobbies carries them.

                    My fingers Thank You. I also plan to visit Bill Martin in San Antonio while I am there for the Lone Star Region Convention next weekend. I plan to look at the tool he has too.

                    Paul Richardson
                    Purgatory & Devil River Railroad
                    Garland, TX
                  • Tjeng Chiao
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jun 23 4:29 AM
                      Hi all,

                      I haven't tried this but I suggest for the tool, use a smaller code rail, so
                      it would be easier to insert the joiner by hand. And when it was withdrawn
                      after pushing the joiner in to the rail ends, the joiner will stay.

                      Or, maybe use the same code rail only file a little bit off the bases?

                      TC

                      Message 10 of 30 , Jun 23 10:56 PM
                        Paul: did you check out the tools? If so, any suggestions on which to get?

                        Lloyd Lehrer, Six L (4L+ my two), IBCS, and called many others.

                        Duncan wrote...

                        > Paul,
                        > There is a tool made that is especially designed for installing
                        railjoiners on rail ends. It is made by C.L.A.M.S.
                        > Caboose Hobbies carries them.

                        My fingers Thank You. I also plan to visit Bill Martin in San Antonio while
                        I am there for the Lone Star Region Convention next weekend. I plan to look
                        at the tool he has too.

                        Paul Richardson
                        Purgatory & Devil River Railroad
                        Garland, TX

                        HOn3 list web pages are:
                        http://www.railwayeng.com/hon3/

                      • mickmoignard
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jun 24 1:16 AM
                          --- In HOn3@y..., "cchnlt1" <cchnlt@a...> wrote:
                          > I am laying some ME code 55 flex track and it is (to me) difficult
                          > make straight sections straight and to make the ties look good on
                          > curves. Any suggestions to make this good looking track still look
                          > good after I get it laid would be appreciated!
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          > Chuck

                          The easiest way I've found to straighten flextrack is to hold it at
                          or near one end, turn sideways (so that the ties point at the
                          ceiling), then tap smartly on a tabletop a couple of times, trying to
                          get all the tie ends to hit the tabletop together. Works fine on all
                          flextrck I've tried from N to O and all makes except ME HON3 code
                          40,where the ties grip the rails too tightly (and the rails don't
                          have a lot of strength). Once straight, laying smooth curves is easy.

                          Mick Moignard
                        • szczowicz@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jun 24 1:43 AM
                            Mick and others,
                            Surely the question is how to you make narrow gauge track weave all over the place and yet stay in something approaching a sort of straight direction?

                            Mark Kasprowicz
                          • Paul Richardson
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jun 24 6:11 AM

                              Message 14 of 30 , Jun 24 6:53 AM
                                In a message dated 6/24/02 8:12:30 AM Central Daylight Time,
                                purgatory@... writes:

                                > you are still on the hook to put the joiner on the tool and could still get
                                > stuck by the end of the joiner.

                                Hi Paul.......

                                Actually I cheated and trimmed the piece of rail in the handle down slightly
                                with a file! Works slick as can be!

                                Bill Martin
                                San Antonio, Texas
                                Presque Isle Northern RR

                              • mickmoignard
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jun 28 6:31 AM
                                  --- In HOn3@y..., szczowicz@a... wrote:
                                  > Mick and others,
                                  > Surely the question is how to you make narrow gauge track weave all
                                  over the place and yet stay in something approaching a sort of
                                  straight direction?

                                  > Mark Kasprowicz

                                  Mark
                                  use ME's code 40; however hard you try, it will still be micro-wiggly
                                  just like rarely-used sidetracks. The larger rail sizes represent
                                  rail that tended not to do this; look at the D&RGW NG mail lines; the
                                  rail tended to be straight and staying that way. All depends on the
                                  rail size and the axle loadings it's asked to carry.

                                  Mick