Re: [HOn3] replacement motors??

  • RoundBell@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , May 1, 2002
      In a message dated 4/26/02 7:07:18 PM Central Daylight Time,
      mrbnf@... writes:

      << I need two Rivirossi motors. One for a Heisler, and the other for someone
      > in my local MRR club. Anybody got any ideas??

      I have found the Mashima 1824 motor fits in most all Rivarossi locos with
      just a little work and greatly improves the operation. This 5 pole motor
      (Rivarossi is 3 pole) has a lower top speed and much lower starting speed, it
      virtually eliminates the jack-rabbit starts and has more power.
      See www.roundbell.com Caboose Hobbies and several other
      dealers carry this motor. Loco Doc
    • Robert Bell
      Message 2 of 10 , May 1, 2002
        At 10:41 AM 5/1/02 -0400, you wrote:
        >I have found the Mashima 1824 motor fits in most all Rivarossi locos with
        >just a little work and greatly improves the operation. This 5 pole motor
        >(Rivarossi is 3 pole) has a lower top speed and much lower starting speed, it
        >virtually eliminates the jack-rabbit starts and has more power.
        > See www.roundbell.com Caboose Hobbies and several other
        >dealers carry this motor. Loco Doc

        Ok, Now I have decided that I only need one motor. It is for an older
        Rivarossi 4-6-2. How much work?? This is for the guy in our MR club, and
        the loco will become THE resident steamer.

        And thanks to all who have helped in this matter.

      • Norman Suydam
        Message 3 of 10 , May 2, 2002
          Robert

          I repowered an AHM 4-6-2 'light pacific' with a Cannon motor a number of
          years ago and it was real easy! The motor was a repower kit I believe
          marketed by A-Line which actually had 2 motors in the kit ( still have the
          2nd motor ). There is a real big number on the motor. CN22-T9A-T500
          Its dimensions are 22mm x 33mm with a 2mm single shaft. This motor shaft
          has a coupling sleeve I removed and replaced with the universal from the
          original motor. I stuck the motor on with silicone with NO modifications to
          the frame, boiler or cab. The back of the motor does slightly protrude into
          the cab but is not very noticeable at all.

          This was probably the easiest re-power I've done. MUCH smoother operation
          and low speeds. I don't use this loco because the older AHM locos won't run
          through some of the code 70 track with their larger flanges. It does OK on
          code 83 and 100.

          ..............Norman Suydam.............

        • RoundBell@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , May 2, 2002
            feequine@... writes:
            Ok, Now I have decided that I only need one motor. It is for an older
            Rivarossi 4-6-2. How much work?? This is for the guy in our MR club, and
            the loco will become THE resident steamer.

            In Rivarossi's I take out old motor and with a Dremell and router make
            room for the motor in cab - chassis (Some Rivarossi's have a lot of spare
            plastic here and there that gets in the way). I then silicone the motor in
            line with the worm shaft and use surgical tubing (ST-20) to couple the
            shafts. Done in under an hour. Loco Doc

            << At 10:41 AM 5/1/02 -0400, you wrote:
            >I have found the Mashima 1824 motor fits in most all Rivarossi locos with
            >just a little work and greatly improves the operation. This 5 pole motor
            >(Rivarossi is 3 pole) has a lower top speed and much lower starting speed,
            it
            >virtually eliminates the jack-rabbit starts and has more power.
            > See www.roundbell.com Caboose Hobbies and several other
            >dealers carry this motor. Loco Doc

            And thanks to all who have helped in this matter.

          • Anne Ogborn
            Message 5 of 10 , May 2, 2002
              >This is for the guy in our MR club, and
              > the loco will become THE resident steamer.

              Sigh.... how far the mighty have fallen.