FAQ - min/max radius

  • Anne Ogborn
    Message 1 of 5 , May 13, 1999
      One frequently asked question is about track standards (min radius,
      grades, separation, etc.)

      I've asked this myself, and so have several others, and the answer is,
      "depends" - I wonder if we
      can accumulate a list of locos and cars and what they will/won't go around.
    • Charles A Davis
      Message 2 of 5 , May 13, 1999
        Hi Anne:
        The problem is in the 'nits'. Whenever you start trying to test for
        'minimum radius' operation, the 'track construction quality' is too big
        a variable.

        For 'grades', track construction can affect things there also.

        Seperation - Now, There is one that we can nail down pretty close,
        without much ambiguity.

        But that doesn't make the idea any less 'good'.

        Chuck D.

      • CHoefer533@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 5 , May 14, 1999
          In a message dated 5/13/99 9:25:54 PM Pacific Daylight Time, cad@...
          writes:

          > From: Charles A Davis <cad@...>
          >
          > Hi Anne:
          > The problem is in the 'nits'. Whenever you start trying to test for
          > 'minimum radius' operation, the 'track construction quality' is too big
          > a variable.
          >
          > For 'grades', track construction can affect things there also.
          >
          > Seperation - Now, There is one that we can nail down pretty close,
          > without much ambiguity.
          >
          > But that doesn't make the idea any less 'good'.
          >
          > Chuck D.

          You'd also have to list the loco's minimum radius by manufacturer and loco
          type. Multiple companies have manufactured examples the same locos. Due to
          design differences between each model there is a huge impact on minimum
          radius capabilities between products.

          On our NG modular layout, some of the larger K series locos have had to have
          either trailing truck wheels or entire trailing trucks removed (dependent on
          design) to negotiate 22" radius curves.

          Craig H
        • Anne Ogborn
          Message 4 of 5 , May 14, 1999
            Charles A Davis wrote:

            > From: Charles A Davis <cad@...>
            >
            > Hi Anne:
            > The problem is in the 'nits'. Whenever you start trying to test for
            > 'minimum radius' operation, the 'track construction quality' is too big
            > a variable.

            Good point - John Allen once wrote an article on how to make a std gage car
            go around a 16" radius curve.

            My HOn2 1/2 track spiral "works", in that the lokies come off at a specific
            place, at the junction of two radii, and so do a couple N scale cars I own.

            > For 'grades', track construction can affect things there also.

            I think of Paul Mallery's test apparatus, and the loco performance contests
            he started.

            What's large is the variation from one individual model to the next among kits -
            there's even a bunch of hints in the MDC Shay book on how to get it to go around
            tight corners.
          • Tom Troughton, MMR
            Message 5 of 5 , May 14, 1999
              Before I changed scales about 5 years ago, all my HOn3 engines and rolling
              stock would easily negotiate my 18" minimum radius curves. I was running
              everything from a small PFM Cowichan Shay up to a PSC K-37. Of course I had
              to file a bit on them to make them work, but they did and they ran smoothly.
              The most troublesome areas were the points on the frame where the insulated
              wheel on the pilot and trailing trucks contacted the frame. After filing
              away a bit of the frame with jeweler files and a grinding wheel in a Dremel
              tool and the painting process, I would give the previously contact area a
              thorough brush application of Dullcoat to reinforce the paint. Never had a
              problem after that and the engines ran great. I didn't buy them to sit on a
              mantel or in a plastic case.

              Tom Troughton