RE: [HOn3] Learning to scratchbuild boxcars

  • George Gilbert
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 2, 2002
      Thanks for the update Bill, it's nice to see that good kits stay on the
      market. I suspect that the laser cut wood version would build into a very
      nice car. I'm going to have to get & build one.

      I had recommended the older Clear Creek kit as a good kit to help a modeler
      learn the skills he would need to scratchbuild. The method of construction
      of the older Clear Creek kits is similiar to the techniques needed to
      scratchbuild. So, if one is looking for a "tutorial" on scratchbuilding then
      I still think the older styrene kit is the better choice. My reason is
      simple; you can purchase scribed stryene siding as a raw material. You
      cannot purchase the laser cut sides as raw material for any car you intend
      to scratchbuild.

      Now if somebody is making laser cut scribed siding as a sheet material...

      George Gilbert
      Nashville, TN